Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDoer View Post
A pic. Oh, and they have 200km speedometers. Talk about wishful thinking.
Sounds like a 9C1 police Malibu with a sissy powertrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 07:13 PM

74 posts, read 615,099 times
Smile RE: 67 Caprice Wagon

Not only does the 67 Caprice wagon have air conditioning, it has Comfortron Air Conditioning and Heating. This was the automatic temperature controlled system. You can tell the climate control faceplate has the words "C O M F O R T R O N" on it along with the thumb dial that you used to set the temperature control. Also, you can just barely make out the sensor that was located on the dash. It is just to the top of the small dashboard gauge to the right of the clock. It might be the temp gauge, I can't make it out very clearly.

Mr. Bill
Hamlet, NC

Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
Default 77 olds t5

I have a 77 olds cutless s i bought new that has a 260 v/8 with the 5 speed t5. we put 180k miles on it. when it came down the assembly line they had to cut a hole in the floor board with a torch for the gear shift lever. I still have the car and plan to use the t5 behind a flat head v/8. I used to get 26 mipg pulling my boat.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,990,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
The 260 I wouldn't say was "ultra-rare" but yes it was a gutless economy engine similar to Chevy's 267. Just as you guessed, many Americans were still bent on "having a V8" even if it made less power than the V6 engines. We learned that when we watched them kill off the 1986 turbo Mustang which made about what the 5.0 was doing in the power department but on 4 cylinders...and it didn't have that cool "downing in the water" Flowmaster sound.

I have an Oldsmobile flyer at my dad's that dates way back to 1976. In the flyer, it shows you could order a brand new 1976 Omega (Nova knock off) with a V6 and a 5 speed manual. I believe it might have also mentioned ordering a 260 V8 with a 5 speed.

The 5 speed in the Cutlass you shown is indeed rare. In fact also during the 1979 model run, you could also order the Cutlasses counterpart, the Regal with a manual transmission. No idea of how many were made. Then the Chevy Malibu and El Camino of the same year were also available with a 3 or 4 speed. I'm not sure about a 5 speed. But for 1979 a 5 speed was just coming of age.

One interesting transmission is the "torque-drive". it was available on 1968-71 Chevy Novas and Vegas. It was a manually shifted power glide. It did not have a clutch but the way it worked is at the light you shifted into 1st....got her up to speed and then shifted into Hi.

I'll see if I can round up some pics...or perhaps Tenneesee storm might.

During the first six months of Maverick production, they had a transmission similar to the torque-drive. They called it the "semi-automatic". The shift quadrant was P R N 3 2 1. It was Ford's C4 auto with a manual valve body. It was only available behind the 170. Over on the Maverick board, someone has a NOS shift quadrant. No automatic shift features, but at least it was a three speed auto. No one has gotten a Marti report on one yet, but there couldn't have been many sold.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
During the first six months of Maverick production, they had a transmission similar to the torque-drive. They called it the "semi-automatic". The shift quadrant was P R N 3 2 1. It was Ford's C4 auto with a manual valve body. It was only available behind the 170. Over on the Maverick board, someone has a NOS shift quadrant. No automatic shift features, but at least it was a three speed auto. No one has gotten a Marti report on one yet, but there couldn't have been many sold.
I don't know about that.. Sounds like urban legend to me. Ford never made a manual valve body c4. Any proof?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I don't know about that.. Sounds like urban legend to me. Ford never made a manual valve body c4. Any proof?
I know there are plenty of kits to convert a C4 to a manual valve body; but I'm with you that AFAIK, Ford never made a manual valve body C4 from the factory. Some of the aftermarket guys use original Ford castings to make their's, but that's about it.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
ESPECIALLY with a column shift. Could you image the problems Ford would have had with people hitting neutral or reverse while shifting? No way.. Never made em

Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM

No, they did make them. It's talked about in the Preliminary Shop Manual. It's shown in the owners manual. Tag code (on the transmission) is PEG-A. It's also shown in the Autolite Shop Tips Maverick Introduction issue. Now wether or not they installed any is not known. This is what the Prelim. Shop Manual says: "The new semi-automatic transmission is a manually operated, power shift transmission which does not require a clutch pedal. The new transmission is similar to the C4 fully automatic transmission except for changes to control valve body and that the vacuum diaphraghm, throttle rod, governer, and the inner and outer downshiift lever assemblies have been eliminated. Other changes include new manual linkage and oil pan and control valve replacement procedures. The majority of the changes in the new semi-automatic have taken place in the control valve body. Since the new transmision MUST BE SHIFTED MANUALLY, the line pressure coasting boost valve, intermediate servo accumalator valve, throttle control valve, throttle downshift valve, and the intermediate servo accumulator rubber check valve have been eliminated. New features include a MANUAL VALVE BODY. Because of the manual shift feature of the new semi-automatic transmission, many of the valves that were used in the C4 fully automatic transmission have been eliminated." There are several more pages of service info after that. And if you go to "Maverick.to" website someone has a picture of a NOS shift quadrant. I was wrong about something, the shift quadrant is P R N Hi 2 1. I figure it was dropped because most people simply left it in high and complained about sluggish acceleration.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
No, they did make them. It's talked about in the Preliminary Shop Manual. It's shown in the owners manual. Tag code (on the transmission) is PEG-A. It's also shown in the Autolite Shop Tips Maverick Introduction issue. Now wether or not they installed any is not known. This is what the Prelim. Shop Manual says: "The new semi-automatic transmission is a manually operated, power shift transmission which does not require a clutch pedal. The new transmission is similar to the C4 fully automatic transmission except for changes to control valve body and that the vacuum diaphraghm, throttle rod, governer, and the inner and outer downshiift lever assemblies have been eliminated. Other changes include new manual linkage and oil pan and control valve replacement procedures. The majority of the changes in the new semi-automatic have taken place in the control valve body. Since the new transmision MUST BE SHIFTED MANUALLY, the line pressure coasting boost valve, intermediate servo accumalator valve, throttle control valve, throttle downshift valve, and the intermediate servo accumulator rubber check valve have been eliminated. New features include a MANUAL VALVE BODY. Because of the manual shift feature of the new semi-automatic transmission, many of the valves that were used in the C4 fully automatic transmission have been eliminated." There are several more pages of service info after that. And if you go to "Maverick.to" website someone has a picture of a NOS shift quadrant. I was wrong about something, the shift quadrant is P R N Hi 2 1. I figure it was dropped because most people simply left it in high and complained about sluggish acceleration.
I found a listing for PEG-A and PEG-A1 on a master list of Ford automatic transmission application charts:

Ford Car Automatic Transmission Application Chart '65-'72- FORDification.com

Those two are the only C4's listed as being "semi-automatic". They show the application as being for 1970 Mustangs with a 170 or 200 cubic inch V6's. The PEG-A was used in builds before 7/14/69 and the PEG-A1 was used in builds after 7/14/69. As far as I can tell though, I don't know if they ever sold any and they were only available that one year on the Mustang according to the chart.

The Maverick, according to the application chart, had a plethora of different transmissions (PEB and PEE family), but never had the PEG-A or PEG-A1 and was never offered with a "semi-automatic".

Overall, who knows. Obviously Ford did offer a "semi-automatic" C4 for at least one model year. Whether any were ever sold or built is another matter though. As for them being in the Maverick, the Ford list would say no, but that doesn't mean it was impossible with the way production runs went back then.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:06 PM

Well the 1970 Mustang was not available with the 170, so that is a mistake. Also the 70 Mustangs were introduced during the /regular new car model intro in September, so no chance of them having a transmission from before 07/14/69. The Maverick was introduced on April 17th 1969 as the mid year intro model. However as you said, until someone contacts Kevin Marti, we'll never know if they were indeed used. All I have is the above info I quoted. It is shown however in the owners manuals and sales brochures until the one printed in August 1969. Then it disappears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive