Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,995 times

Advertisements

Growing up all of our family vehicles (it was not until I was in college we had more than one at a time) were hand-me-downs from my grandparents. The first two car my father bought new were a Chevy Corvair wagon and then a Chevy Chevelle four door. The Corvair was standard trans, did not have a radio of any kind and had rubberized rugs. The Chevelle was automatic, had an AM radio but also had rubberized rugs. Neither vehicle had power steering. There were few options available at that time and most of the vehicles available on the lot (for lower end cars) offered any options.

Fast forward to 2013. My Malibu LTZ we just purchased came with more options and features that I even knew I was purchasing. Many of them, if I had the chance to pick from a menu, I would have said no to. However, it is almost impossible to find a stripped down model available on the lot.

It would seem that we have more money to blow on options we won't use or could do without.....

I could do without the backup camera, the manual shift capability on the automatic transmission, fancy interior lighting, heated seats and several other options I ended up with. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 02:16 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
I could do without those damn automatic door locks ! Hate 'em. Although the Honda CRV I had would let you by-pass them. But my GM car has no way to do that.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM

304 posts, read 1,019,045 times
I could do without donut spare tires...GIVE ME FULL SIZE!

Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,161,265 times
Moon roof, I never use them.

Rain sensing wipers, I can toggle a switch every now and then.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:39 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,624,724 times
I wish the whole option packages thing would go away and the line item option list would return.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:42 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,624,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
I could do without donut spare tires...GIVE ME FULL SIZE!
I agree. The only problem with full size spares is that most won't fit into todays cars. They will only accommodate a donut.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:43 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
There's not one option or feature that I couldn't do without. As basic as a car can get, I'd be fine with.

Probably why I'm a happy motorcyclist.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:22 PM

17,609 posts, read 17,642,256 times
The list of what I want is much smaller. I want automatic transmission (wife can't drive stick), cruise control, multi-speed wipers, and AC. I could do without factory stereo and speakers. Let me get my own stereo and speakers. Don't need power windows, door locks, nor seats. Don't need infotainment systems.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:27 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,846,819 times
When I bought my fiesta I purposefully looked for a base line car with an automatic and CD being the only options. Actually it had remote locks and a key pad dealer installed which I actually like. This car even has manual crank windows. I was strictly looking for price so I felt I could do without.

When I bought my Ram I wanted power windows and locks so I had to go with the SLT package which would have been top of the line for most cars back in the 80's. In 07 it was just a regular mid grade truck.

Basiaclly anything other then cruise, AC, power window/doors, automatic, and radio. Most other options that are now available I could do without. Especially a GPS or back up camera. Actually a back up camera would probably be nice on my truck for lining up a boat trailer.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:49 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,075,471 times
I'd be happy with just power locks, A/C, CD player, and that's it. No need for auto trans, navigation, heated anything, iPod jack, USB ports, back up cam, etc. etc. Too many cars these days have so many options they should provide a class so you can learn what they all are. I'll bet 90% of people will never use all of them, anyway. More electronics also means more than can go wrong and that will cost $$$ to fix eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive