Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM

211 posts, read 410,885 times

Advertisements

The only things I really want in a vehicle are AC, Tilt wheel, radio, p/s, p/b, bucket seats, floor console, rear defogger, and heated exterior mirrors. Everything else, while nice I can do without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 04:36 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,102,462 times
Run flat tires...

Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,042,335 times
I had a 1996 Saturn SL that was a base model. I loved that car for its simplicity.

It had a whole slew of great options, such as:
Armstrong™ steering
Hand cranked windows
Manual door locks
A mechanical trunk release lever
A mechanical fuel door release lever
Cruise control, operated by the driver's right foot.
And a 5 speed, standard transmission

Was a relatively trouble-free car, in spite of its age. I did have to replace some front end parts, but if you could have seen the roads the State of Maine expects us locals to drive on, you'd have understood why!

Could you even get a new vehicle nowadays without power steering if you wanted to?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,700,022 times
I'd like to do without the moonroof, but my car for the last 13 years has one because it wasn't made (for the US at least) without it. And I didn't really know how much I'd come to dislike it until living with it for a while.

In addition to the moonroof, I don't care for these items that are often standard on newer cars: automatic headlights, automatic locking doors when you start moving, automatic dimming rear view mirror (I hate dimming the mirror, makes it so that I can't see!). I'm sure there are others I could do without, but I also wouldn't mind if most of them were there.

I'm not counting things that should be there but often aren't anymore, like spare tires. Heck, you're lucky if you even have a donut. Some only have a canned flat repair!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:50 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,684,880 times
Run-flat tires can die and go to hell. Even a donut is million times better. The manufacturer can also rot if they have the audacity to design the car without room for a donut spare (at minimum) and emergency jack. See the USA in my Chevrolet? Not without my spare tire!

The GM patented feature that turns on the reverse lights when you lock or unlock the doors with the remote needs to be rethought. I assume it's for ambient light when approaching your parked car in the dark. That's great! But it makes everyone driving or walking near the car think it's about to back up. (It might not be patented so much as GM are the only ones implementing such a poorly thought out "feature.")

Old 07-19-2013, 06:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,091,280 times
Here's what I'd be perfectly happy with:

Manual Transmission
Rear Wheel Drive
Air Conditioning
Radio

Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,843,132 times
Air conditioning
Abs/tc
Automatic trans with over 6 speeds
Self parking
Reverse cameras or sensors
Automayic shut and opening doors
Front wheel drive and front drive based awd
Drl's
The run the cars whole wire harness thru the radio
Automated wipers/headlights/fog and or driving lights
Fog or driving lights that are only cosmetic; see 94-04 fox4 mustang gts and cant function as they should
power seats
Automated manuals
53536 airbags
Space saver spares
Awd cars such as the cts4 that have no manual option
4wd trucks/suvs lacking a front and possibly rear solid axle, comfort is for station wagons and cuv's
awd suv's; "crossovers"
3rd row seats in midsize suv's
Lack of diesel options.
Dumb packages that force you to have what you dont want to have what you do want.
Gps/television screens, if the kids are bored they can read, sleep or count the telephone poles.
Throttle by wire especially on cars with a manual trans
Non servicable worldstandard transmissions.
Blindspot monitoring systems
All i can think of right now.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 AM

345 posts, read 805,322 times
Rear window wiper!!! By far, worthless to me. I have never used it, I think I only used it to see what equipment I have.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:47 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,146,436 times
Power windows are absolutely unnecessary, and trouble prone. Fog lights are not needed, and are a hazard when used by people when it is not foggy outside. Tachometers on cars with automatic transmissions .

Old 07-20-2013, 09:26 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,700,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
Rear window wiper!!! By far, worthless to me. I have never used it, I think I only used it to see what equipment I have.
LOL Might as well delete the rearview mirror too I guess....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive