Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times

Advertisements

Tilt wheel, cruise control, built in Nav, heated mirrors, bluetooth, tire pressure sensors...im sure theres a ton more, just cant think of anything off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
I certainly hope most of you still live in thatched roof mud huts with outdoor plumbing, considering how much you complain about comfort and convenience items...

Tilt wheels and power seats (especially memory seats) are great for households with more than one driver and they are of different heights and builds (like a petite wife and a tall husband). Easily adjusted for comfort and safety without manually fiddling with things every time you change drivers. Just like indoor plumbing was more convenient than outdoor plumbing.

A/C is a godsend in hot and humid areas. Much like heated seats and mirrors are great in very cold areas. Let me guess, you guys don't have heat in your houses either and simply wear more layers in the winter? (probably since you live in thatched roof mud huts, so as not to be too lazy and comfortable, right?)

Power windows? When you're belted in, you can't easily rach to roll up/down manual windows on the opposite side of the car or in the back seat area. Most power windows are quite reliable these days (unlike, say, older BMWs... hehehe). Same with power mirrors (again, especailly ifyou have multiple drivers in your household and they are of different sizes)

I can go on, but the thing I find most ironic is using a computer to surf the internet and complain about high tech convenience items in a car... You could definitely do without the computer you use to complain about things you could do without...

Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,230 times
[quote=Merc63;30606538

I can go on, but the thing I find most ironic is using a computer to surf the internet and complain about high tech convenience items in a car... You could definitely do without the computer you use to complain about things you could do without...[/QUOTE]
Thats ESPECIALLY ironic and funny right there... lol

Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I certainly hope most of you still live in thatched roof mud huts with outdoor plumbing, considering how much you complain about comfort and convenience items...

Tilt wheels and power seats (especially memory seats) are great for households with more than one driver and they are of different heights and builds (like a petite wife and a tall husband). Easily adjusted for comfort and safety without manually fiddling with things every time you change drivers. Just like indoor plumbing was more convenient than outdoor plumbing.

A/C is a godsend in hot and humid areas. Much like heated seats and mirrors are great in very cold areas. Let me guess, you guys don't have heat in your houses either and simply wear more layers in the winter? (probably since you live in thatched roof mud huts, so as not to be too lazy and comfortable, right?)

Power windows? When you're belted in, you can't easily rach to roll up/down manual windows on the opposite side of the car or in the back seat area. Most power windows are quite reliable these days (unlike, say, older BMWs... hehehe). Same with power mirrors (again, especailly ifyou have multiple drivers in your household and they are of different sizes)

I can go on, but the thing I find most ironic is using a computer to surf the internet and complain about high tech convenience items in a car... You could definitely do without the computer you use to complain about things you could do without...
Its funny cause I find it ironic how many people cant live without all the modern conveniences in cars these days and find it refreshing to know there are still people out there that prefer the basics. Just because some dont like certain options in a car does not mean they live under a rock, lol.

FOr instance, if I didnt have a family I could easily do without A/C, the only time I use it is when they are in the car, I prefer the sunroof and the windows wide open. Tilt wheel, I can honestly say the positions of the steering wheels in my cars have never been changed as long as I have owned them. There are a lot of needless options available for cars which may be convenient but in the end make the cost of the vehicle more as well as the repair. My 66 Mustang is basic..I can fix jsut about anything on it...as for my other 3 cars, I have no urge do dive into an electronic mess.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,348 times
Junk I could do without:
power windows
power locks
a/c
automatic climate control
power steering
navigation/turn by turn
onstar-type service
bluetooth/cell phone controls
steering wheel controls
traction control/stability
anti-lock brakes (abs)
air bags
fog lights
adaptive headlights
mirror-mounted turn signals
rear seats
heated seats
heated mirrors

Don't need, but nice to have:
Sunroof (summer)
Power mirrors (convenience)

Don't need, but beneficial to my sanity:
Stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Right you are! Too many people are compensating for something or other.

All these cars trucks & SUVs with 300, 400, even 500hp now and all they do is sit in traffic wasting fuel.

"But I need enough power to keep up with everyone else!" Yet another zero-sum game.
Try towing a trailer with a truck that has 100hp or 100 ft lbs tq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

Using a computer at home may be convenient or even necessary. Having a computer on my dash, not.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Automatic transmission.* (*In fact I am not likely to buy a car with one).

Infotainment system.

Complex electronic control that I need a four hour class to learn how to use (which I will promptly forget).

Voice activated controls that give me directions to Moms house when I ask it to find a fusion jazz radio station.

Water activated windshield washers (never work on time).

Leather upholstery.

Back up cameras (my neck still works).

Automatic headlights. (I can flip them on when I need them and i can decide for myself when I need them).

8 track tape player (too hard to find tapes these days)

Horn (never use it).

Check engine light. I really do not need glaring yellow lights shining at me every time I get a tank of gas.

Air bags. (I wear seat belts and so do all my passengers. I have no desire to kill children.)

Automatic locking doors. ( I can lock the doors and I can decide when they need to be locked and when I do to want them locked).

Built in garage door opener.

Built in car seats.

Incomprehensible steering wheel controls.

HID lights.

Ridiculous bling rims.*

Low profile tires. *

Built in navigation (I have an android phone with better Nav for free.)

Necessary options:

Sun roof, t-tops, or convertible top.
Comfortable seats.
Leg room

Truely inspiring performance and handling. I want to enjoy driving. It is a pleasure to me, not a task (at least in a decent car it is).

The stereo depends. I have had some awesome stereos that were engineered just for the car (and the car engineered for that particular stereo) and nothing from a stereo store will ever match it no matter how expensive. Then I have had some expensive manufacturer stereos that sound terrible.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,274 times
quote=Coldjensens

Water activated windshield washers (never work on time).

I assume you mean wipers...mine are the opposite, they run at the first drop of rain.
Fortunately I can turn them off!

Leather upholstery.

I've lost all interest in leather now. Not only do I not need animal hides in my car, but for the sake of wear-resistance and especially regular appearance, most modern automotive leathers are so processed/treated/coated to within an inch of their lives that the choice is chiefly about prestige more than anything else. Unless durability is a prime concern in which case the 'leatherette' (vinyl) wins. The 'leather aroma' exists mostly in our imagination nowadays thanks to the treatments mentioned above.

Horn (never use it).

heh... not until you need it. You definitely don't live in NYC

Low profile tires. *

Bane of my existence! So many things wrong with them I don't know where to begin.

Necessary options:

Sun roof, t-tops, or convertible top.

I have never used a sunroof in my life.

Truely inspiring performance and handling. I want to enjoy driving. It is a pleasure to me, not a task (at least in a decent car it is).

Well, so long as you're not stuck in traffic. German cars then I assume?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
Tire pressure monitors. I check the tires myself at every fill up myself, and all they do is add cost to tires. Also don't care for navigation packages at all.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:39 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,727 times
I dont mind most of the features, but the encrypted locked down programming of the PCM and all its modules needs to go or at least have an option to unlock it once the car is paid for.

TPMS sensors can be a nightmare too.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:47 PM

865 posts, read 2,160,368 times
Huge fan of the Nissan Versa (though not it's weird styling). The base model has EVERYTHING as far as create comforts that I require in a car - AC and an Aux input jack.

If I were to buy a new car right now, it would absolutely be the Versa. Base model.

I don't need:
- Power Locks
- Power Windows
- Automatic Transmission (My Focus doesn't have one)
- 500 speakers
- Touch Screen
- ABS and T/C
- HID headlights
- Power / Heated Seats
(Would much perfer vinyl seat)
- Carpets that attract moisture and rot the floor out - vinyl floormat is fine
- Airbags (not sure how blowing something up in my face is a good idea ...)
- Variable valve timing
- Direct Injection
- Alloy wheels - after about 5 or 6 years in NY they all start to corrode and leak ... and they don't hold up to pot holes.
- < 65 series tires ... again, potholes.

Want:
- Vinyl flooring / Seats
- Full size Spare
- Steel wheels
- Sealed beam glass headlights that cost $7 to replace
- GAUGES - REAL Temperature, oil pressure, battery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive