Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:20 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Do they even make a new car with a carb? The only new thing with a carb that I can think of is the GM 602 crate engine going into my street stock race car.
I seriously doubt it, though I cannot say for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Emission and cafe standards made meeting the requirement imopssible without computer controlled vehicles.The late 80's and early 90's V8's with throttle body where proably the last of the fairly simple vehicle that were easy to work on;even easier than carbed vehicles really.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,901,949 times
I'm not saying technolgy hasn't made engines alot better, more reliable, etc, but it makes it a ***** to work on.

I love working on engines, even if it's a simple oil change. It relaxes me and makes me feel like I have accomplished something. And I love getting my hands in there and dirty. Beats paying overblown labor costs at the STEALERship.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
This is when I love my '87 GTA w/ the TPI set-up, I get the benefits of fuel injection but it's so simple I can work on it myself. Checking the trouble codes is as simple as sticking a paper clip in the ALDL port and watching the light blink. I can change almost any of the sensors out in 20 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
What happened to the gold ol' days of working on your own engine?-tpi1.jpg  

Old 07-02-2009, 11:06 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
This is when I love my '87 GTA w/ the TPI set-up, I get the benefits of fuel injection but it's so simple I can work on it myself. Checking the trouble codes is as simple as sticking a paper clip in the ALDL port and watching the light blink. I can change almost any of the sensors out in 20 minutes.
That's good but how is the access to the spark plugs, water pump or alternator?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:35 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,784,131 times
Quote:
Remember when you could change the air filter in your car/truck in under a minute? Now you have to remove a dozen plastic pieces just to get to the intake box. And good luck finding your spark plugs if you have more than 4 cylinders. How I miss the days when you could actually sit inside the engine compartment and work and any piece of the engine you wanted.

I have tore engines down and did a rebuild. Now I am afraid to even change the spark plugs. Congrats to mechanics. You earn every dime you make.
I think it's because the car manufacturers felt that they would only make more money if they made them to where you had to pay the dealer to do it due to lack of sophisticated tools and such needed to do the job.

Same reason why they only make some cars to last 10 years before suffering catastrophic damage...because they'll make more if you have to buy a new one every 10 years as opposed to being able to fix the old one year after year....

A perfect example...my father in law has a last year model Chrysler 300 with an automatic and there's no tranny dipstick. Nope gotta pay a dealer to check your tranny fluid. Crazy isn't it?

Yes I recall looking at a 66 Mustang for sale once with an inline 6 and seeing how easy it was to stand in the engine compartment and almost change the starter. Now some cars like the 93-up Camaro with the V8 are a PITA to change plugs. Back in the 60's I think only the 428 Mustang was the one you actually had to pull the engine to do a plug change.

But it's fairly easy to change plugs in a 91 and a 93 S-10 with a V6 engine and no a/c. A 97 S-10 with the same V6 and a/c is a bit challenging.

No they do not make any new cars with carbs. The last car I know of to use a carb was a 1990 Olds 88 wagon with the 307.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
No they do not make any new cars with carbs. The last car I know of to use a carb was a 1990 Olds 88 wagon with the 307.
Wow - I wouldn't have even thought that would have had it. I've got an 89 Chevy truck with throttle body - something they started in 88..

But GM did have a tendency to "hold over" certain models, and use up all the old parts they had sitting around.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:01 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
More cars going OHV? I don't think so. GM makes a lot of OHV V8s, and Chrysler too - but almost everything else is OHC. I am not aware of any OHV foreign engines.
oops. i meant OHC. sorry.

Mike

Old 07-03-2009, 07:09 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
Quote:
I'm not saying technolgy hasn't made engines alot better, more reliable, etc, but it makes it a ***** to work on.
well, but what exactly is it about the new engines that is that much more difficult? is it all the plastic covers you have to pull off (which honestly, most come off in less than 5 seconds. my buddy has an RX-8 like the one GTOlover posted the pic of, and that main cover just lifts off)? is it the computer vs the carburetor?

i just don't see what all the fuss is about. changing the oil is no different. a brake job is just as easy (if not easier) than it was. changing the air filter in many modern cars often requires no tools whatsoever, or at minimum a screwdriver. changing plugs in most OHC engines is cake, and even the few OHV that still exist (like the LS series of engines from GM) are pretty darn easy.

Mike

PS - no, they don't make cars with carburetors anymore (that i know of). my point was that, given the option to drive and work on something from the 'modern era' vs the 'good ol' days', i choose 'modern era' because i see the 'good ol' days' cars as more of a headache.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
well, but what exactly is it about the new engines that is that much more difficult? is it all the plastic covers you have to pull off (which honestly, most come off in less than 5 seconds. my buddy has an RX-8 like the one GTOlover posted the pic of, and that main cover just lifts off)? is it the computer vs the carburetor?

i just don't see what all the fuss is about. changing the oil is no different. a brake job is just as easy (if not easier) than it was. changing the air filter in many modern cars often requires no tools whatsoever, or at minimum a screwdriver. changing plugs in most OHC engines is cake, and even the few OHV that still exist (like the LS series of engines from GM) are pretty darn easy.

Mike
Yep, a LOT of that plastic just lifts off - or requires the removal or only 1 or 2 screws to be able to remove it.

And brakes... Anybody who dealt with front drum brakes is delighted by the disk brakes that only require the removal of two bolts to replace the pads.

Another of the features I like about newer cars is that all the electrical connections are unique. You cannot accidentally connect the wrong wires to the wrong part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive