Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:46 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
i feel like i need a tetnis shot just lookin' at the pic! lol

Mike
Well, it is a 43-year-old unrestored engine compartment.

Not only can the spark plugs be seen easily, they can be changed easily!

And look at that alternator... that can be removed in about 5 minutes! Probably can do it standing in the engine compartment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:24 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Well, it is a 43-year-old unrestored engine compartment.

Not only can the spark plugs be seen easily, they can be changed easily!

And look at that alternator... that can be removed in about 5 minutes! Probably can do it standing in the engine compartment!
true, true. although, here's mine:

starter, alternator, battery, air filter, and spark plugs are all right there. i don't know what other self-professed DIYers do, but that covers about 95% of the jobs i would tackle under the hood.

Mike

Old 07-05-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
true, true. although, here's mine:

starter, alternator, battery, air filter, and spark plugs are all right there. i don't know what other self-professed DIYers do, but that covers about 95% of the jobs i would tackle under the hood.

Mike
When comparing both photos, it is obvious which engine compartment has more room (the '60s one). Although I have seen ones more crowded than the one you posted. Here is another example with my '69 Cadillac.

Note all four spark plugs can be seen in the photo below:

And in this photo, several components are easily visible... air cleaner/filter (which can be changed in about 30 seconds), a/c compressor, distributor, coil, fan belts and power steering pump.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
When comparing both photos, it is obvious which engine compartment has more room (the '60s one). Although I have seen ones more crowded than the one you posted. Here is another example with my '69 Cadillac.

Note all four spark plugs can be seen in the photo below:

And in this photo, several components are easily visible... air cleaner/filter (which can be changed in about 30 seconds), a/c compressor, distributor, coil, fan belts and power steering pump.
The problem with that car is that all the money you save on do it yourself repairs, will go right into the gas tank instead. I once owned a 1973 Sedan De Ville, and I never managed over 9 mpg in it

Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
I think most newer cars aren't as repairable as pre 1979 ones, but it does vary somewhat by make. I had a 1994 Oldsmobile Acheiva that required a trip to the dealership just to access the spark plugs. By comparison the engine on my 1991 Toyota Camry has most parts easily accessible

Here is a picture of my car's engine

Old 07-05-2009, 12:39 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,784,131 times
I'm going to have to get a pic of our 2007 Honda CRV's engine compartment. It would be very interesting trying to change the alternator or plugs on it.

I will say this much....I once owned a 1995 Cavalier, the distributor was on the fire wall side of the engine and looked very difficult to get to, in fact that's the only reason I never changed the plug wires. Also had the alternator ever gone out it would have been a nightmare to replace. Even more interesting is how the engine was mounted in the car....motor mounts were at the tops by the shock towers and the engine sort of just hung in there.

It's apparent that GM did not design this car to be tuned up/repaired by anyone other than a professional shop that could remove the engine to swap the parts out then charge you an arm and a leg for it. Well you could do it yourself if you didn't mind a lot of work and the use of many a choice words in doing so. This car alone has changed my mind about ever owning another RWD car again if I can help it.

Thankfully I didn't have that car long and sold it after the head cracked on it. A common problem on the 2.2 liter engines.

Now this isn't the most spacious engine compartment but it's fairly easy to work around in:

Old 07-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The problem with that car is that all the money you save on do it yourself repairs, will go right into the gas tank instead. I once owned a 1973 Sedan De Ville, and I never managed over 9 mpg in it
That would be a problem for me except that I drive that Cadillac only 2-4 times per month. I don't even remember when I put fuel in it! When I do, it last about two months (and I only put $20-$25 in at each refuel).

A '73 Sedan de Ville should get well over 9 for the maximum figure. My '76 limo once to 12.5 mpg with about 85% highway driving.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I'm going to have to get a pic of our 2007 Honda CRV's engine compartment. It would be very interesting trying to change the alternator or plugs on it.

I will say this much....I once owned a 1995 Cavalier, the distributor was on the fire wall side of the engine and looked very difficult to get to, in fact that's the only reason I never changed the plug wires. Also had the alternator ever gone out it would have been a nightmare to replace. Even more interesting is how the engine was mounted in the car....motor mounts were at the tops by the shock towers and the engine sort of just hung in there.

It's apparent that GM did not design this car to be tuned up/repaired by anyone other than a professional shop that could remove the engine to swap the parts out then charge you an arm and a leg for it. Well you could do it yourself if you didn't mind a lot of work and the use of many a choice words in doing so. This car alone has changed my mind about ever owning another RWD car again if I can help it.

Thankfully I didn't have that car long and sold it after the head cracked on it. A common problem on the 2.2 liter engines.

Now this isn't the most spacious engine compartment but it's fairly easy to work around in:
Yes, in general, the further back you go, the easier access there is to the engine.

That one you posted looks pretty easy to work on. Is it a 1970 454 engine?

Old 07-05-2009, 04:06 PM

590 posts, read 555,147 times
Although it was good to have a 1970 engine to work on, the advantages we gained with the advancements in automotive technology outweigh the disadvantages. You may not be able to do your own tune-up on a 2009 automobile, but at least tune-ups are not required as much as they were with older engines.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
Although it was good to have a 1970 engine to work on, the advantages we gained with the advancements in automotive technology outweigh the disadvantages. You may not be able to do your own tune-up on a 2009 automobile, but at least tune-ups are not required as much as they were with older engines.
It would depend on how much a car is driven.

And tune-up for a 1970 engine were not required that often.

And, when necessary, things like changing the plugs or points were easy to do. For instance, I could remove the old plugs from my former '66 Dodge Dart GT (V-8), gap the new ones and install them in 45 minutes or less.

It was also possible for the owner to do some simple mods like a shift kit for the auto transmission, electronic ignition conversion or an aftermarket aluminum intake manifold (I did all that on my Dart).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive