Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Thank you Mitch. I actually used to live in Tacoma WA up until 2 years ago. My husband grew up in Eastern WA, about 45 minutes West of Spokane.
So can I trade in my winter tires you say? Where can I do that? I don't care if I get used ones as long as they last a while until I can buy me a new set of 4 ( ).
Your husband and I are from the same area...and I, too, am in 10AC...both are great places!

There are quite a few used tire shops that will buy/trade/sell used tires, just take a look in the phone book. That's what they specialize in.

In fact, most any tire shop, including those that deal in mostly new tires will usually have some used tires. (I'm running a set of Michelins on my wife's car that we bought used...they couldn't have had 10,000 miles on them and I got them for 100 for the set.)

The problem you're going to run in to is finding a shop in Memphis willing to make a deal on studded tires. There is basically zero use for them here, and therefore, zero odds of them selling them. But, heck, it doesn't hurt to ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 635 times
Take a drill that has a low speed capacity and drill diagonally (45 degree angle) under, or "around" the stud, and then pry it out. Use a little larger bit, so it wont break in the prying! (It is rubber after all, and so a larger bit will squeeze in there.) Of course, some studs aren't to tough, and a narrow headed blade screwdriver is all you need. But the screwdriver needs a little muscle! And you really have to work.
The drill makes it easy. The "corkscrew" of the bit, (drill turning clockwise!), burrows under the stud and literally pulls it up for you. Obviously, you barely pull the trigger of the drill, so its turning as slow as possible. If you break the drill bit you can still use the broken bit to finish the job, and since its shorter, it probably wont break again. You can also do the "two step" and get the stud started out with the drill and finish the further prying with the screwdriver, - a bit saver! This makes removing studs a walk in the park.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:16 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I am really broke and the tires on my car need to be replaced asap. I have 4 sets of lightly driven ( maybe 1000 miles )studded tires in the closet. Is is in anyway possible to have those studs removed and how do I go about it. I have no money for new tires so if I have too, I will drive on studded tires until I can afford new ones.

Thanks for any help you may have.
Yes, you can do that, and motormaker posted some "youtube" links for you.

Most of the problem you will have with winter tires for summer driving is that they can create a lot of road noise on paved roads, and probably a little more fuel consumption. But it will get you through summer, or at least until you can afford a new set of all-season tires.

Just make sure that you remove every one of the studs.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 566 times
Four 16" tires 440 studs to remove. This was my solution. The stud posts were slightly larger than a 5 mm socket, so I drilled the socket for a proper fit. I then ground the outer wall at the end of the socket for less resistance sliding into the tire. I cut the thicker end off from a quarter drive extension to fit it into a half hp drill motor. I used a lid full of oil to dip the end of the socket in. Press down on the drill motor and spin the socket, it will go onto the stud and down to the base. Tilt the drill motor twist it and the stud will pop out. Standing up and pressing down on top of the tire was the quickest procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive