Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:16 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times

Advertisements

nobody, it only has 63k miles too, she hardly drives it, the door panels squeak, the dash squeaks... it is need of some felt tape from the ford NVH kit lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 04:48 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Ford doesn't deserve the accolades they get....in '06, Ford put up everything they had to borrow many billions of dollars in order to keep going. They lucked out, as this was right before the credit crunch hit and money dried up. Had that not happened, they would be taxpayer owned today, just like Govt Motors. I have some Ford stock that hasn't paid a dividend in ages...am I going to get a check soon since they're doing so well now?

Anyway, public perception moves very slowly....it took decades of building junk for people to move to the imports. Even if the domestics have gotten their act together with reliability, it will be decades before import buyers "come home". Likewise, if what you domestic diehards say is true...that Toyota and Honda are now building junk....it will be decades before people abandon them.

I imagine most of you domestic diehards live near the abandoned or limping US auto plants. You still see a lot of domestic cars around town, right? You would be even more depressed if you lived around here (Wash, DC area)....maybe 1 in 10 vehicles you see are domestic, and most of them are trucks. I drive for a living and sometimes amuse myself at traffic lights by counting the import vs. domestic cars going by. It's much worse than you think for the domestics...market share-wise. I think you'd see the same thing in any non-Rust Belt market...

And zip ties on Toyota floor mats will not save the domestics....only frequent and massive infusions of tax dollars is going to do that.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:02 PM

340 posts, read 1,446,103 times
Default a celebrity paid to sell you a product - WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
They offer an arguably better product, and they're trying to convince you to buy one. That's how advertising works...
"trying to convince you to buy" is exactly what they're doing. Get a clue people! This is nothing but a sales pitch from a more than troubled car company that I read most of you are buying into.Give yourself more intelligence credit than that and do some research.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:05 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
"trying to convince you to buy" is exactly what they're doing. Get a clue people! This is nothing but a sales pitch from a more than troubled car company that I read most of you are buying into.Give yourself more intelligence credit than that and do some research.
Most of this is academic since I've only bought one new car ever... and that was a special circumstance of working overseas, needing a car and being able to have it shipped to the states for much less than I could have bought it for here...

I grew up in the car business and it is almost universal that a new car looses thousands of dollars once it leaves the lot...

Buying used has the advantage of being able to research a vehicles strengths and weaknesses in the real world... even Consumer Reports has had problems on predicting future reliability on new models...

Do your homework... buy used and save a bundle...

Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
the research is done, all you need to do is google it

'American' cars are getting better, they have been for quite some time.

As for the comment about domestic die-hards living near auto-industry, not true, i've owned two 'imports' out of the 16 or so vehicles I've owned, and I assure you there is no automotive industry anywhere near Lehigh Acres, FL..... It's a preference of mine to drive what I drive, and I have good experiences, and until I have a major issue with my domestics, I think I'll stay with them.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:31 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I imagine most of you domestic diehards live near the abandoned or limping US auto plants. You still see a lot of domestic cars around town, right? You would be even more depressed if you lived around here (Wash, DC area)....maybe 1 in 10 vehicles you see are domestic, and most of them are trucks. I drive for a living and sometimes amuse myself at traffic lights by counting the import vs. domestic cars going by. It's much worse than you think for the domestics...market share-wise. I think you'd see the same thing in any non-Rust Belt market...
Thats either a lie or a completely isolated incident. You may drive for a living but it doesn't appear that you drive very far. We have never had vehicle assembly plants in my area though there are far more domestics than imports... about the same ratio I have seen driving across the country several times, in several different places. We have a few long haul truckers on this forum... lets ask them.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Basically i thnik that the mear fact the domestic are comparing themsleves to the imports say what they already know. They bascasilly have loss sales to the japanese.Ask any of teh big 3's dealer mechanic and he will tell you tels of lemo they deal with all the time from poor assembly at the factories.I saw a program on GM in which employees were admittting that they sent vehicles out with known problem to let the dealerdhip deal with it.Now they are paying the price.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:06 PM

30 posts, read 161,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Ford doesn't deserve the accolades they get....in '06, Ford put up everything they had to borrow many billions of dollars in order to keep going. They lucked out, as this was right before the credit crunch hit and money dried up. Had that not happened, they would be taxpayer owned today, just like Govt Motors. I have some Ford stock that hasn't paid a dividend in ages...am I going to get a check soon since they're doing so well now?

Anyway, public perception moves very slowly....it took decades of building junk for people to move to the imports. Even if the domestics have gotten their act together with reliability, it will be decades before import buyers "come home". Likewise, if what you domestic diehards say is true...that Toyota and Honda are now building junk....it will be decades before people abandon them.

And zip ties on Toyota floor mats will not save the domestics....only frequent and massive infusions of tax dollars is going to do that.
The DC area has a lot of people working and driving there that live in VA. VA has high property taxes on vehicles every year. So most folks in VA will generally keep their vehicles longer than the average American. This means that the average Joe's were buying their current vehicles back when imports were vastly better than the domestics. And the ones with lots of money are driving the expensive imports. Thats just simple fact.

Now compare that with an area that people buy new cars often. The last 10 years I've lived in Texas and Alaska. I'd put imports at MAYBE 20% of the cars on the road.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM

30 posts, read 161,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically i thnik that the mear fact the domestic are comparing themsleves to the imports say what they already know. They bascasilly have loss sales to the japanese.Ask any of teh big 3's dealer mechanic and he will tell you tels of lemo they deal with all the time from poor assembly at the factories.I saw a program on GM in which employees were admittting that they sent vehicles out with known problem to let the dealerdhip deal with it.Now they are paying the price.
Your logic is as bad as your spelling.

Domestics have made pretty quality products for 15 years now. Its just that most of the American public wont do the research and just believe whatever people tell them.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:40 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robe81 View Post
Domestics have made pretty quality products for 15 years now. Its just that most of the American public wont do the research and just believe whatever people tell them.
That is your opinion. I will stick with what works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive