Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:56 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
This was pretty much the story with my '02 Suburban as well. 8 years old, 100k miles and never had anything go wrong on it. The only money I ever spent on it was standard maintenance type stuff; tires, batteries, oil changes, plugs, wiper blades, etc. Never had to buy anything for it because it was broken!

Trailblazer has cost me for repairs:
Battery $60.00 A/C Delco Upsized replacment
Alternator $130.00 Lifetime rebuilt unit, not an autozone junker (wasn't bad, was trying to correct the dimming headlamps, it worked)
Idler Pulley Bearing $22.00
Belt Tensioner $45.00

Maintenance
Rear Pads $38.00
Serpentine Belt $40.00
Oil Changes
Plugs $30.00
Washer Fluid

Great truck, I am on my 3rd set of tires, because I run toyota sequioa take-offs that i usually get with 10-15k on them already, I towed a 4000lb trailer up to 500mi/day for 5 months with it too.

My biggest peeve is that there is a small a/c leak at a junction and GM doesn't list the o-ring seperately last time i checked, so every year I have to add a little freon and oil. Maybe the next time i'm near a stealership, i'll try and find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 02:07 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,270,461 times
^a lot of times you can just hit an auto parts store for an o-ring. I had an old truck that had a lot of o-rings in the a/c system go bad and I went to a Pep-Boys and the guy back in parts had a drawer of misc o-rings and I just grabbed up some that were about the same size as what came off. Worked fine.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:40 PM

24,479 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Some o-ring compounds are not compatible with freon. Be careful.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 PM

24,479 posts, read 26,017,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The OP was about Chevrolet - so I omitted Buick and Cadillac. I mentioned the Acadia because it was the first of that series.
I thought the Outlook was the first of the series.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:53 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
...stating they offer better mileage than Honda and Toyota. Maybe a couple of miles better. But what about quality? What about reliability? They seemed to forget about these two issues.
Given how American cars have improved so much you are the one forgetting about those two issues.My brother owns an auto repair business so I speak with some degree of knowledge.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:48 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,227,031 times
Whats with the people that say " I bought a Domestic and it was falling apart two days later". Did you test drive the car? Do you know how to drive? are you plowing it through snow banks? I mean, what is the deal. Between me and all of my family, we've owned alot of domestics and I can't think of any major issues other than a few with my wifes Tahoe. It was the new 2007 body style that we bought in 2006 and it had the transfer case go bad and something else I don't remember. I guess I'm just not a crybaby, if something goes wrong under warranty, who cares? The dealer takes care of it and gives you a loaner.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,372,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Although the 2009 Accord is now classified as a "large" car - it has for most of its history been a mid-sized car. The older Malibu was smaller - more like the previous Mazda6. But the new Malibu is about the same size as the Accord and Camry.

The Chevy that compares in size to the Civic is the Cobalt.

BTW - these classifications come from the EPA - based on interior volume, not length, width, or weight.
If you check the details more closely, the Accord is a EPA "large" car with over 10 cubic ft more passenger space than Malibu. Size-wise, it would almost be in the class of Impala. They are comparing different class size vehicles. The reason the Malibu cars have slightly more MPG is the Ford/GM joint 6 speed auto transmission. Although Impala only has 4 speed. Honda is just releasing their 6 speed next year (well in Acura). For Civic and Cobalt, the XFE has no power windows, no spare tire, and economy style tires, etc...

Also, and very important, the EPA MPG for highway is rated at 60 MPH, not that useful when speed limits are normally 65-75, so it will also depend on the aerodynamics of the car at the higher speeds.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
^a lot of times you can just hit an auto parts store for an o-ring. I had an old truck that had a lot of o-rings in the a/c system go bad and I went to a Pep-Boys and the guy back in parts had a drawer of misc o-rings and I just grabbed up some that were about the same size as what came off. Worked fine.
i own more o-rings than most parts stores

it isnt your standard o-ring, it's more of a flat, quarter sized rubber gasket with a metal insert

Old 10-27-2009, 06:39 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,878,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
i own more o-rings than most parts stores

it isnt your standard o-ring, it's more of a flat, quarter sized rubber gasket with a metal insert
Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
What's Up With Those Chevy Commercials...-ac-seals.jpg  

Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 AM

close to that yellow one at the top right, however, it's green
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive