Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:09 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
...stating they offer better mileage than Honda and Toyota. Maybe a couple of miles better. But what about quality? What about reliability? They seemed to forget about these two issues.
Personally I would not buy a car from an American car manufacturer that needed to be bailed out. Ford has stood proud and tall on their own feet. That is an end to any speculation of who makes the better car in my mind. No government bail out means Ford is doing better financially because they sell more cars, they sell more cars because they are BETTER !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,894 times
The thing that confused me about these commercials was at the end was when Howie Long said they still don't make anything to compete with the Honda lawn mower.

I was wondering when did Chevy stop making the Aveo?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:38 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,270,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Personally I would not buy a car from an American car manufacturer that needed to be bailed out. Ford has stood proud and tall on their own feet. That is an end to any speculation of who makes the better car in my mind. No government bail out means Ford is doing better financially because they sell more cars, they sell more cars because they are BETTER !!
I think Ford has had a lot better business model over the last 10 years or so at the very least. And lately I'd say their quality has been on the rise. I think I read somewhere that they were shooting to have their entire product line completely refreshed by 2011 or 2012. I see GM doing similar things with the introduction of new models but they don't seem to be on the same timeline or the same scale as Ford. I'd say it's due in part to poor funding for the activity. They would love to be doing things bigger and better but they are broke.

Even still....there are some great products on the GM side of the isle. You cannot deny the quality and performance for cars like the Corvette ($ for $ the best performing car available), Camaro (beautiful and powerful...even the V6 cranks out 300hp!), Malibu (rave reviews even from CR who love to bash American iron for the fun of it), Tahoe & Suburban (hands down most reliable vehicle my family has ever seen...spent less than $500 on it in 6 years...and most of that was the set of tires I bought), and Silverado (my dad has owned 7 in the last 30 years....and will likely continue the tradition).

Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,041,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
List what you have owned, years, and if you bought it new or used.
Is that an order?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:00 AM

’67 Ford Galaxie used, liked it, not a bad first car
’72 Datsun 1200 used, great car
’78 Rabbit new, 200,000 +, great car, normal wear items
'80ish Subaru, used, cheap winter beater shared with a friend, he still has it
’80 Ford F100, used, very useful, but brake, tranny, carb problems
’67 Triumph TR4A IRS, lots of fun, surprisingly reliable, still own
’89 VW GTI new, 200,000 +, almost no problems, normal wear items, and a hoot to drive, still my daily driver and best car I have owned
’73 Toyota Celica, used, fun commuter, minor carb problems
'72 IH Scout II, used, project vehicle, but tons of fun, all the normal IH problems
’00 Toyota Tacoma, used, great truck, no problems
Ex’s vehicles
’90 Chevy S-10, new, junk
’96 Ford Ranger Splash, new, fun, front end problems
’01 Subaru Outback, new, outstanding mountain car, head gasket
’06 Toyota Matrix, new, great car, great mileage, ex loves it
Work Trucks
A few old Dodge pick-ups, great drive trains, body and interiors fell apart
A couple of Chevy/Izuzu mini 4x4 PU’s, actually very decent but tight cockpit
’99 Dodge Ram, new, too many problems to list
’02 Chevy Tahoe, new, no problems, best work truck I ever had
’03 Chevy Suburban, used (when I got it), transfer case, steering, front end problems
’09 Ford Expedition, new (since Aug.), comfortable, but lousy off road

Oh yeah, my girlfriend has a '00 Ford Escape, 140,000, nice vehicle with very few problems, she has had it dealer serviced since new, brakes are funky tho

I stand by my statement, from my experience, much less problems and more fun with the imports.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:12 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,615,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
The gm cars have been better for at least the last 5 years, but the idiots in marketing missed out on driving that home in ads until late last year.
Hell, a 94 3.4 V6 camaro or firebird with a leadfoot driver (me) can get 34 mpg. Done it for over year before selling the car last month. The guy who bought says he can't believe he's getting over 36 mpg. Must be a slower driver than me. (not that it'd be hard to be slower than me!)
Bullsh*t! I'm sorry to get up in your face but you were not getting 30 some odd mpg. I had a 95 Monte Carlo 3.4 v6 offered in all the Z34 trim levels and the best I ever got was 27.5. That car was well taken care of, too! The 3.4's were a nightmare to work on and they had tons of problems. I'm sorry but you never got 34 and your buddy never got 36 get real, dude! I'm not trying to bash domestics here but that's crazy if you want anyone of us to believe you.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Bullsh*t! I'm sorry to get up in your face but you were not getting 30 some odd mpg. I had a 95 Monte Carlo 3.4 v6 offered in all the Z34 trim levels and the best I ever got was 27.5. That car was well taken care of, too! The 3.4's were a nightmare to work on and they had tons of problems. I'm sorry but you never got 34 and your buddy never got 36 get real, dude! I'm not trying to bash domestics here but that's crazy if you want anyone of us to believe you.
Ya gotta love some of the mpg claims by some folks.

But, you never know, my buddy would get almost 40 out of my old Rabbit when he borrowed it for 180 mi. round trips on the freeway between Madison and Milwaukee. I never got more than around 34 on the same trip.

Funny thing how my current GTI and my old Rabbit got as good or better mileage than modern econoboxes and are/were more fun to drive. Heck, my Datsun 1200 got 30 mpg in almost all driving conditions. BTW, it might be said to have a lead foot, I think of it as driving with brio.

Oh yeah, my Scout got the same mpg as my work Tahoe, 12 mpg in very similar driving, a mix of road and off-road. 30 years of development and no real improvement in mileage...

I know, more weight, etc. etc. but it is a sad statement about all manufactures.

I hope Chevy/GM is finding ways to get better mileage and better quality, my tax dollars are riding on it. Never been much for GM products but know they are capable of good things, i.e. Corvette and my work Tahoe, but on the whole I think they have put out some real junk in recent years. The proof is in their dire straights.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:22 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,878,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Ya gotta love some of the mpg claims by some folks.
I wouldn't limit it to just mpg claims.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:01 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post

Allright figure it for yourself! 367 miles,and it held 10.7 gallons of gas. And that was filling it to the cap. Got hungry and got gas 434 miles later, again stuffing it and it would only hold 12.52 gallons of fuel. Oh, did get a ticket on that part of the trip for running 88 in a 70. Once to the area we were going, ran around in alot of city type traffic. still came out to 33 mpg with alot of sitting and idling time. Just because yours didn't doesn't mean our didn't.
95 monte carlo? Thats actuly a different 3.4 than the Firebirds and Camaros had. Don't believe me? Try bolting up the same transmission to the wrong wheel drive vs rear wheel drive engines. Have fun when they don't interchange. You also forget the over weight pig of a body the monte carlo is. 3800 lbs vs. 3200 makes a difference also on mpg. Small V6'stypically will lose 3-5 percent per 200 lbs over 2700lbs. after another 800 lbs, the mpg drop is even more.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:43 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,810 times
nevermind if yours had larger than stock tires, it would potentially get better mpg on the freeway as well

my TB used to turn 2100 rpms at 80mph, i could squeeze 24mpg out of it
now i downsized to a 265 65 r17 and get about 22, i'll take it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive