Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:41 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,370 times

Advertisements

So lately, we've been receiving batches of the latest generation of Chevy's Tahoe for our fleet vehicles. It's amazing how the previous Tahoe, which was done "mostly right" has been transformed into this ergonomic, uhm, "Charlie-Foxtrot."

Where to start?

Exterior rear view mirrors have their inside, lower corners removed for some absurd reason, and are too far from the sides of the vehicle. Result? Can't see a darn thing when backing into tight spaces, and parking space lines are all but invisible. How I love opening my door and looking backwards, or having to angle the mirrors down, to back in...

As with the previous generation Tahoe, the steering wheel isn't centered with the seat. But this time around, the wheel's off-center placement to the right is even more extreme. Not only does it look ridiculous, but it completely renders the driver's side door armrest, which is mounted too low, useless if you're like most people and steer with your left arm. Your knee becomes the armrest between the gigantic gap between the armrest and steering wheel. What's more, if you're over 6' tall and adjust the seat accordingly, the steering wheel is so far forward (non-telescoping in 2009??) your arm must be fully extended to grab its top.

Really, it's like the guy who designed the door and its armrest did so independently of everybody else. Was any thought, at all, given to steering wheel, armrest, and seat placement? My left shoulder and neck are in knots after several hours driving one of these torture contraptions.

Radio buttons and dash layout 101. The buttons and dials you use most often should be the easiest to reach. Why, oh why, is the tuning dial the farthest button from the driver, while the menu and "i" buttons (hardly ever used) closest? Can those idiotic, tiny LEDs that serve as indicators on the main dials be any harder to see, especially during daylight? Why is it necessary to squint and study the dash for things which should be quickly visible at a glance? Can the rear wiper switch on that stalk, obscured by the steering wheel, be in a dumber place?

Chevy just can't seem to accomplish what everybody else does with its throttle tip-in. The older ones leapt off the line if you looked at the throttle pedal. Now, you push, push, push, oh, goodie, now we're starting to move! Need to pass somebody? Put the pedal to the metal 'cuz that's what it takes to downshift and get the motor going...

How wonderful so little thought was given to seating ergonomics, and so much was given to, oh, say, programmable features like having to hit the unlock button twice instead of once, or the turn signal cycling three times if it's touched. Or having to cycle the menu button to get the flippin' odometer to appear...

Honestly, it's a relief, mentally and physically, getting into my 12 year old Tacoma after being in one of these pig-of-a-rig Tahoes. Really, why doesn't Chevy just take a tape measure to a 20 year old Honda's interior and just copy the dimensions and lay out? Is it really too much to ask that the perfectly flat gas cap cover be notched so it can be opened with your fingers, as opposed to having to pry it open with your fingernails?

Pathetic that in 2009 Chevy is making what ought to be labeled a "Fisher-Price My First Tahoe" product...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 12:04 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Just wait until the long term repairs come pouring in.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:40 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Yeah bud, I'd say your more then likely in the extreme majority as far as the redesigned Tahoe goes. I'm around 6'5/6'6 and don't have any issues unless it's a 8-10 hour road trip. It's easy to find problems and complain about them in any vehicle, nobody is going to be 100% satisfied with a vehicle.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,781 times
What planet do you live on , a Tacoma may be the worst laid out truck ever unless you 5.5 and like to set on the floor of you truck.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:01 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
How wonderful so little thought was given to seating ergonomics, and so much was given to, oh, say, programmable features like having to hit the unlock button twice instead of once, or the turn signal cycling three times if it's touched. Or having to cycle the menu button to get the flippin' odometer to appear.
Are you seriously complaining about these things? Please spare me.

I have (well...going to trade off) an '07 Yukon and have never had any problems with it. I find the seating position quite comfortable and I'm 6'2", doesn't bother me at all.

And doesn't your steering wheel have radio controls on it?

What about a backup-camera if you have trouble seeing the rear? Mine has one.

I really don't understand what you're complaining about, I've NEVER heard anyone complain about some of these trivial items.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:45 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer Fud View Post
What planet do you live on , a Tacoma may be the worst laid out truck ever unless you 5.5 and like to set on the floor of you truck.
The Tacoma is probably the best laid out trucks available and no I am not 5'5".

Old 06-19-2010, 10:38 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
My previous generation GM truck had the same problem with the outside mirrors, with the inside corner cut off. At least yours doesn't have the integrated belts.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:30 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
I think these are valid complaints as other vehicles can do without these design errors.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:57 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
So lately, we've been receiving batches of the latest generation of Chevy's Tahoe for our fleet vehicles. It's amazing how the previous Tahoe, which was done "mostly right" has been transformed into this ergonomic, uhm, "Charlie-Foxtrot."

Where to start?

Exterior rear view mirrors have their inside, lower corners removed for some absurd reason, and are too far from the sides of the vehicle. Result? Can't see a darn thing when backing into tight spaces, and parking space lines are all but invisible. How I love opening my door and looking backwards, or having to angle the mirrors down, to back in...

As with the previous generation Tahoe, the steering wheel isn't centered with the seat. But this time around, the wheel's off-center placement to the right is even more extreme. Not only does it look ridiculous, but it completely renders the driver's side door armrest, which is mounted too low, useless if you're like most people and steer with your left arm. Your knee becomes the armrest between the gigantic gap between the armrest and steering wheel. What's more, if you're over 6' tall and adjust the seat accordingly, the steering wheel is so far forward (non-telescoping in 2009??) your arm must be fully extended to grab its top.

Really, it's like the guy who designed the door and its armrest did so independently of everybody else. Was any thought, at all, given to steering wheel, armrest, and seat placement? My left shoulder and neck are in knots after several hours driving one of these torture contraptions.

Radio buttons and dash layout 101. The buttons and dials you use most often should be the easiest to reach. Why, oh why, is the tuning dial the farthest button from the driver, while the menu and "i" buttons (hardly ever used) closest? Can those idiotic, tiny LEDs that serve as indicators on the main dials be any harder to see, especially during daylight? Why is it necessary to squint and study the dash for things which should be quickly visible at a glance? Can the rear wiper switch on that stalk, obscured by the steering wheel, be in a dumber place?

Chevy just can't seem to accomplish what everybody else does with its throttle tip-in. The older ones leapt off the line if you looked at the throttle pedal. Now, you push, push, push, oh, goodie, now we're starting to move! Need to pass somebody? Put the pedal to the metal 'cuz that's what it takes to downshift and get the motor going...

How wonderful so little thought was given to seating ergonomics, and so much was given to, oh, say, programmable features like having to hit the unlock button twice instead of once, or the turn signal cycling three times if it's touched. Or having to cycle the menu button to get the flippin' odometer to appear...

Honestly, it's a relief, mentally and physically, getting into my 12 year old Tacoma after being in one of these pig-of-a-rig Tahoes. Really, why doesn't Chevy just take a tape measure to a 20 year old Honda's interior and just copy the dimensions and lay out? Is it really too much to ask that the perfectly flat gas cap cover be notched so it can be opened with your fingers, as opposed to having to pry it open with your fingernails?

Pathetic that in 2009 Chevy is making what ought to be labeled a "Fisher-Price My First Tahoe" product...
but, dude, seriously - these things are still WAY more capable than any comparable Ford product, like say, an Expidition.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:42 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
What's more, if you're over 6' tall and adjust the seat accordingly, the steering wheel is so far forward (non-telescoping in 2009??) your arm must be fully extended to grab its top.
My wife and I have a 2007 Honda CRV which has this same issue...move the seat back far enough to be comfortable and you have to extend your arms out to reach the steering wheel and you have to also extend your legs out to reach the pedals. So your problem isn't just a Chevy issue.

Quote:
Is it really too much to ask that the perfectly flat gas cap cover be notched so it can be opened with your fingers, as opposed to having to pry it open with your fingernails?
Did you bother to look inside the cab for a "fuel door open" trigger?????

And yes our 2007 CRV also has this....so your comment of
Quote:
why doesn't Chevy just take a tape measure to a 20 year old Honda's interior and just copy the dimensions and lay out
doesn't quite hold water.

Perhaps you should drive a Yugo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive