Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,364,500 times

Advertisements

After watching that video I'm excited about driving on snow again! That IS a lot of fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:29 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,982,201 times
Just my 2 cents among the throng and probably redundant, but the best way to sum up how to avoid excessive loss of control (sometimes it can't be helped, but the worst can always be mitigated) is to avoid sudden movements. Don't try to accelerate, brake, or steer quickly, and watch what's ahead and to the sides to try to prevent situations that make quick action necessary.

After that, good luck! As mentioned, some slipping/sliding can't be helped, and even if you get a great handle on your own ice driving, there's always the other driver.

And if you want to play around, then quick action is what it's all about!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
This is what I do for fun in the winter.

(In fact I was at this very event)

Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,728,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is what I do for fun in the winter.

(In fact I was at this very event)

That is fun!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,728,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Engine braking is still not an effective way to make a panic stop.
A panic stop, no. I think that's where we lost each other.

A gradual stop, it's my favorite way.

For the record though, weight transfer is significantly inhibited by proper proportioning and suspension.

Last edited by Innovator831021; 12-16-2009 at 07:39 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,364,500 times
Friend of mine, doing some winter training with his old Rally Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ACpnRrI5wQ

Old 12-17-2009, 05:14 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,040,007 times
back in Wi we used to drive on the lakes once frozen over. Esp on the smaller ones with little home buildup in the area, where we could fly around at night having a good old time. Actually would have small bonfires out there, along with some chilled beverages...
Except for the rare occasion where a tire would get cut up, never had any real issues. But we at least learned what we could do out there was not something we could do on iced roads.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,554,784 times
Several years ago, it was raining and in the low-30s (F) as I drove to work. In the short time it took me to get dispatched, find my trailer and get hooked up, the roads turned into an icing rink. It took me almost an hour to drive the 7 miles from my terminal to the I-70/I-75 interchange. A truck that couldn't get traction had us all stuck on the ramp to I-70. Once the salt truck arrived we got moving again. My first stop was just off an exit a couple of miles down the road. The rest of the truckers stopped atop the hill, waiting for the salt trucks to do their work. I, on the other hand, decided to make my first delivery at the next exit then wait there for the roads to be cleared. It was a downhill and then an uphill before that exit ramp. I immediately realized the folly of the idea as I started own the hill. I suddenly realized I had NO braking ability whatsoever. Thankfully, I was the only fool on the road. I just rode it through and was able to slow down as I lost momentum on the uphill and I was able to get braking action in the snow at the edge of the ramp. (They say that winning Safe Driving awards is as much luck as it is skill. I don't think that's entirely wrong...)

The best bet for driving on ice is "Don't do it unless you have no other choice". Given that, take it VERY slow. Don't use engine braking OR cruise control. Other very good tips in previous posts above!

The bottom line is that ice gives you very little or NO control of your vehicle when you hit it. In another incident, I had stopped in the right lane of a bridge due to an accident ahead. Even after coming to a complete stop, my big truck started to get blown by the wind and I slowly drifted to the left. Fortunately, the car driver about to come beside me saw that in enough time to stop before I crushed him into the bridge wall. And I finally stopped before I hit the wall. Whew!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,487,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
On tv they have been showing accidents by drivers skidding on ice in Pittsburgh and other East coast cities. It looks wild and helpless & a lot of fun but I am sure scary also. What can a driver do when he hits ice on the road? Not hit the brakes, right?
There are many deaths in the winter here in Indiana due to black ice. I lived out in your neck of the country for awhile and I loved not having to deal with this BS. Ice sucks. Snow sucks. Cold sucks. Winter sucks. I have been in a few benders from ice. Last year I was on my way to work going down a hill on a busy road and all the cars where just sliding and smackin each other. I managed to get my car to slide into the curb and kinda grinded against it til I got to the bottom of the hill. I had to do this so I would not go the other way into oncoming traffic and get killed. It just sucks. The whole thing. It's bad on your car and your mind and spirit.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
Driving on ice is the ONLY thing I like about a New Hampshire winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive