Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times

Advertisements

hey hey hey! don't go hijacking threads by posting updates about the original topic! lol.

good to hear. hope all goes well for you.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
Thanks bud.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,041,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Update: I went to the Repair Shop today, and they're as good as they've always been.

They will take it apart and lubricate/grease what needs that to see if that's enough, he said they'd only charge me for one hour for the job (!!), of course if they see that the caliper is bust, they'll call and confirm before putting a new one in it's place, but he said it sounded like there was a good chance the lubing + brake fluid change would do the trick.

All in all, they'll charge me one hour labor for the caliper and about $140 for the brake fluid change (which is very reasonable here.) In total, approx: $260.

I love those guys

Thanks for all the help, sounds like you were right M3 Mitch
Glad to hear it worked out for you!

From what I have read here, M3 Mitch often gives very solid and good advice. He seems anything but a 'nuclear blowhard'.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Oh really? According to who?

That's not common sense. That's just an assumption. One side could be working perfectly fine and the other side that is currently damage can easily be repaired with a $10 rebuild kit consisting of two rubber parts and a little elbow grease. Change the fluid out and voila. Do it yourself or instruct a reputable shop exactly what to do. No need to pi$$ money down the drain and not learn anything.
According to some one ( in the auto repair business for 34 yrs. ) who lived on the east coast , and witnessed for my self what the cylinders were like when I had to repair them , most all were pitted with rust in side therefore requiring them to be replaced rather then repaired .
As to replacing in pairs the other cylinder may be working but not at the same speed thereby causing one wheel to "Pull" to one side ., That from my own experance in the business for 34yrs , and as to spending money
foolishly ? Surely you have heard the saying , "You can spend a little now " or "You can spend a lot more later " Words of many people who had to call me and my tow truck when they hit some one from the loss of their brakes . Ever drive on ice and snow with one wheel breaking sooner then the other? Quite an "E" ride .

Old 01-09-2010, 11:47 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
According to some one ( in the auto repair business for 34 yrs. ) who lived on the east coast , and witnessed for my self what the cylinders were like when I had to repair them , most all were pitted with rust in side therefore requiring them to be replaced rather then repaired .
As to replacing in pairs the other cylinder may be working but not at the same speed thereby causing one wheel to "Pull" to one side ., That from my own experance in the business for 34yrs , and as to spending money
foolishly ? Surely you have heard the saying , "You can spend a little now " or "You can spend a lot more later " Words of many people who had to call me and my tow truck when they hit some one from the loss of their brakes . Ever drive on ice and snow with one wheel breaking sooner then the other? Quite an "E" ride .
Changing the fluid is key. If a caliper isn't misbehaving and you then change the fluid out before anything happens, shouldn't be any problems.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:31 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Ever drive on ice and snow with one wheel breaking sooner then the other? Quite an "E" ride .
Exciting, but possible (though not advisable).

Old 01-10-2010, 10:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
I don't think I have seen any mention of the fact that the entire caliper floats - not just one side. There is no such thing as a floating side. The two bolts that hold the caliper in place act as both a pivot and a sliding axle. Normally the bolts are heavily greased and have a rubber boot to keep moisture out.

When you service the pads you normally re-grease the bottom bolt with brake grease (high temperature) during reassembly. You should also check that the top bolt, typically not removed during servicing, moves freely from side to side.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,878,314 times
Does anyone know what makes the caliper piston retract when the brakes are released?

Hint: it's the main reason why calipers should be replaced in pairs.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Strange Hmmmmmmm...no one has mentioned the need to replace the front brake hose in pairs and NOT just one only.

What happens is that the hose will swell up internally and restict the amount of brake fluid to the wheel cyl or caliper. This will cause a intermittent pull to the left or right on applying the brakes.

Also to be considered is the LIABILITY when it comes to repairing brakes on a vehicle. NO shop wants a LAW SUIT.

NO respectable shop would ever consider replacing just one front or rear brake shoes or pads or just one wheel cyl etc. Braking functions on the front or rear operate in pairs.

Steve

Old 01-10-2010, 06:41 PM

141 posts, read 504,890 times
I'm with deepcynic, most of what I've seen M3 Mitch post is pretty good advice. I'm no ASE mechanic, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last "month" lol. As others have mentioned, especially with a car that has been sitting a while, calipers do stick, and rust will form inside the caliper's piston sleeve sometimes, What Mitch said is a very possible short term fix, maybe even long term enough, to get rid of the car when it's time with no ill effects. I myself, living in the good ol land of cheap parts USA, would replace both calipers, and possibly hoses, and be done with it. I understand your situation though Viking, and I do commend you on at least trying to figure it out with some help from the board. I'm all for saving a buck whenever possible, but brakes aren't where I usually try to be real thrifty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive