Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:20 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Kind of engines are they?

That's beside the point though.

When a manufacturer guarantees the car will live with 9000 mile changes, and I've seen, driven and known car to run well past the 200.000 mark with that change cycle, in no better weather conditions than you have.

What's the point in changing the oil every 3-5000 miles when it'll go above 200.000 without problem, when you go with the manufacturer standard?

Hell my mom drove her 1982 Corolla on NO oil for an entire month, and even that didn't kill it!

The point is its a few dollars spent on a very expensive car to insure its longevity. Its like taking care of your heart by eating well. Sure, a small percentage of people live a long life(like you are doing to your engine by not changing your oil) and eat fried, fatty food every day but why chance it. Like I said before I am an SAE engineer and know what Im talking about.. Change your oil and spend a $65 a year if you do it yourself. No reason NOT to..
and Im sorry.. I don't care how much you say its true, NO engine can run a month without oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I don't care how much you say its true, NO engine can run a month without oil.
I was going to say the same thing, but I did not want to get into an argument. I will believe that this could happen with the oil level being really low. However, no oil would be a different story. It is physically impossible as the engine would seize due to heat and friction no matter what anyone else says.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,350,662 times
It ran dry for a month, it made a horrible amount of noise and did get warm, filled it up with oil again, and it ran for another 3 weeks or so before one cylinder gave out, it ran for another two months on the last three before it konked out completely.

The point though Frank, is when you can get a car to live to 200.000 miles and above, with no noticeable wear, running 9.000 mile changes, according to the owners manual, why spend money on unnecessary maintenance?

You make it sound like it's a single occurrence, and that I'm lucky, but I'm not exactly alone in running my vehicle like this. New BMWs will even let you know when it needs an oil change (the car monitors it), and some of them have been known to go up to 15.000.

Hell, after 9.000 miles, my oil still feels smooth to the touch and it's still golden.

You might be an SAE engineer, but sounds like you either work on real ****ty engines or have some outdated knowledge.

It's a good indication that the states are out of synch with things that some people will put mineral oil on a new vehicle. Now that will ruin your engine.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:

It's a good indication that the states are out of synch with things that some people will put mineral oil on a new vehicle. Now that will ruin your engine.
This statement is false too. Unless the car specifically requires synthetic oil, putting dyno oil in a new car will not damage it whatsoever.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,887,906 times
Quote:
It ran dry for a month, it made a horrible amount of noise and did get warm, filled it up with oil again, and it ran for another 3 weeks or so before one cylinder gave out, it ran for another two months on the last three before it konked out completely.

The point though Frank, is when you can get a car to live to 200.000 miles and above, with no noticeable wear, running 9.000 mile changes, according to the owners manual, why spend money on unnecessary maintenance?

You make it sound like it's a single occurrence, and that I'm lucky, but I'm not exactly alone in running my vehicle like this. New BMWs will even let you know when it needs an oil change (the car monitors it), and some of them have been known to go up to 15.000.

Hell, after 9.000 miles, my oil still feels smooth to the touch and it's still golden.

You might be an SAE engineer, but sounds like you either work on real ****ty engines or have some outdated knowledge.

outdated knowledge? lol yea ok,, And your oil is still golden color after 9k miles? you are dreaming.. again

Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This statement is false too. Unless the car specifically requires synthetic oil, putting dyno oil in a new car will not damage it whatsoever.
Oops, I meant dino oil.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
What new cars don't require it?

Even my 98 Corolla is supposed to be run on Synthetic.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
What new cars don't require it?

Even my 98 Corolla is supposed to be run on Synthetic.
My friends 2006 Chevy Avalanche for one. Also, your 1998 Toyota Corolla does not require synthetic oil. Read here....

What's the right oil for my car?

It can use either conventional or synthetic (or a blend).

Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
My friends 2006 Chevy Avalanche for one. Also, your 1998 Toyota Corolla does not require synthetic oil. Read here....

What's the right oil for my car?

It can use either conventional or synthetic (or a blend).
My engine isn't listed, so I doubt I'll be able to read it there.

The manual says Synthetic, so I use synthetic.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
My engine isn't listed, so I doubt I'll be able to read it there.

The manual says Synthetic, so I use synthetic.
How could your engine not be listed? There was only one engine available for all trim levels, and it was the 1.8 liter inline 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive