Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 02:28 PM

122 posts, read 372,461 times

Advertisements

Today, in San Antonio, I saw a 1975 Cadillac Fleetwood, white with a light blue vinyl top, white "pillow" leather interior. I have never seen this color combo. It was beautiful!!! and flawless original. The odomiter showed 29,000 + miles. What a land yacht!!!! I want it, without paying a "Barrett-Jackson" price for it. It was parked in a handicap space in front of a restaurant. It had a "glow" about it when I saw it. I am now obsessed. I used to drive one of these many, many years ago, a '75 Fleetwood, deep metallic brown, with a tan top and tan leather "pillow" interior, on the weekends and weeknights as a part time job for a wealthy man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
I've heard, but I don't know how much truth there is to this, that an older car with too few miles can be bad too. Exhaust problems from not running it hot enough to burn the gunk out, dried out gaskets, belts, and hoses, tires having a "flat spot" from sitting too long in one place etc. Again, I'm not sure how much of this is truth or myth. I'm guessing there are still more advantages to having a barely used car in that vintage as opposed to one that has seen a lot more wear and tear.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:44 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Could always leave your name and number and tell them you wanted to see if they were interested in selling it...who knows they may sell it to you.

As for not paying a BJ price, well that all depends...most anyone now knows that classic cars are now valuable. I don't know what a BJ price to you on a 75 Caddy would be, but if it is what you say it is, I doubt they'd just let it go for $2k.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:45 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
Today, in San Antonio, I saw a 1975 Cadillac Fleetwood, white with a light blue vinyl top, white "pillow" leather interior. I have never seen this color combo. It was beautiful!!! and flawless original. The odomiter showed 29,000 + miles. What a land yacht!!!! I want it, without paying a "Barrett-Jackson" price for it. It was parked in a handicap space in front of a restaurant. It had a "glow" about it when I saw it. I am now obsessed. I used to drive one of these many, many years ago, a '75 Fleetwood, deep metallic brown, with a tan top and tan leather "pillow" interior, on the weekends and weeknights as a part time job for a wealthy man.
Be careful what you "love" with since an old car will give you buyers remorse to the max. "Love" affairs like this never end well.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:47 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Never saw a car that I just had to have. So I wouldn't know.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Well you could drive by the restaurant and ask if they know who owns it or try to search around and find another. I can't AFFORD to fall in love with a car but I have before and it's hard to let it go. My dad fell in love with a Corvette at Barrett Jackson a few years ago, I think he was having a nostalgic moment and re-living high school memories. This was before the economic downturn and collector cars were going for CRAZY money. Sometimes you just need to do something for yourself and buy it, he got into a bidding war with another baby boomer but he triumphed for an ungodly sum of money which mom wasn't too happy about.

Find it, buy it, and enjoy life!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:17 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
I like those cars, too. Big, comfortable, very smooth ride and very smooth 500-cu-in engine.

Shouldn't be too hard to find one, although not necessarily locally.

Did you leave a note on the windshield of the one you saw?

Cadillac would build almost any color combination that the buyer wanted. Special order. Back then, they were willing to do that.
I have a 1969 Cadillac Data Book, and in there it says you could order a 1969 Cadillac with for instance, a shade of green offered in 1960 or shade of blue from 1963.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I've heard, but I don't know how much truth there is to this, that an older car with too few miles can be bad too. Exhaust problems from not running it hot enough to burn the gunk out, dried out gaskets, belts, and hoses, tires having a "flat spot" from sitting too long in one place etc. Again, I'm not sure how much of this is truth or myth. I'm guessing there are still more advantages to having a barely used car in that vintage as opposed to one that has seen a lot more wear and tear.
From the looks of this vehicle, it has been garaged and very well pamperd. The dash was not cracked or split. Just looking at it, you can tell it has been garaged and/or covered all of its life and is all original. I have a '75 Pontiac Grandville Convertible, that I am the second owner. Everything on it is original and still in very good shape, like this '75 Fleetwood. I guess this was a "fleeting moment" as far as seeing this beautiful Fleetwood sitting in the parking space today. I guess I'm "pipe dreaming"

Old 02-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Gotta say about the old Caddy 500 V8. The Fleetwood that I drove back in the '80's. The neighbors to the man I drove the Fleetwood for, had a Rolls Corniche convertible. We had a "neighborly" fun thing. He beat me in my Pontiac 400 convertible but, I beat him in the Caddy. Gotta say, you could feel the power in the Pontiac but the Caddy was so smooth and powerful, you did not know how quickly that big car moved. I blew that Rolls off the street with the Fleetwood. It suprised the hell out of me. I thought my "lighter" Pontiac would be faster. WRONG!!! That Fleetwood was a powerful monster.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
I would seek out a 1975 or 1976 Fleetwood for sale in good shape cause I like those cars too and they are not all that rare but I don't usually care much about the color of a car myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive