Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:08 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,211,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post

Trouble is, we are constantly undermining the authority of the police, by giving it all the "civil liberties" crap.
Consequently, the police now have no powers.Don't break the law, you won't get caught, you have nothing to worry about.

"civil liberties crap" are you being serious? perhaps it's "crap" in scotland because you've been under the crown for so long, but many people in the states take the "civil liberties crap" quite seriously

"police now have no powers" really?

bobman, i don't know where you live but if it's in the uk i'll have you know that in the 12 years labour have been running things, 30 000 new criminal offences have been dreamt up and made law. and the picture's not much better in the states. the reality is that it's not very hard to break these laws on either side of the pond, and if we're to be under surveillance everywhere we go there's a good chance that you could be ponying up citation/penalty money more regularly.

this is not to mention the temptation for extreme abuse

Last edited by 58robbo; 03-05-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM

9,438 posts, read 11,191,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
No thanks.

Soon enough there will be recording devices/receivers strategically placed all over cities and towns. Everyones plates will be recorded whenever possible/visible and fed into databases for geographical plotting and statistical analysis. The recordings of a single plate number can be brought up in a number of seconds. All of the checkpoints it was detected at are instantly tallied and easily plotted. They will be able to view most of your traveling activities, frequency of routes taken, etc. It will all be under the guise of traffic flow monitoring, improvement of road efficiency and crime stopping... while that could be absolutely true there is no way to stop it just at that.

I may sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist but actually I am only a mere realist. The technology for this sort of tracking is cheap and rudimentary. They have plenty of excuses to implement these sort of systems and using the system for more than "good intentions" is beyond tempting and certainly inevitable. It would not shock me one bit if within the next few years RFID tags are integrated into plates. Why? Simply because they can.
You are absolutely 100 percent correct on all issues except being a "conspiracy theorist." Conspiracy theorist is a derogatory term applied by conspirators as a red herring across the trail. It's the same as the "racist" charge by racists, accusing others of what is in their own hearts in an attempt to confuse those who seek the truth.
All a "conspiracy" requires is two or more to speak of, plan, or discuss something.
Conspiracy: Two or more acting together secretly, esp. for unlawful or harmful purpose; 2. the plan agreed on. etc.

And if there is anyone who thinks what Lux Hauler has asserted has not been discussed, wished for, or planned by two or more individuals with access to license reading technology, you are missing something in your knowledge of human nature and the nature of power abuse.

ANY power given the state will be expanded upon, and eventually misused and abused. That is human nature and that is history.

Power is addictive.

Integrity is an endangered species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JETTA View Post
I really don't see an issue with it

Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,582,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
You have no "right" to drive. It's purely a privilege.
guess you didn't take the time to look at the site? guess you are one of those that are freely willing to give up all of your rights?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
One of my best friends is an officer in MA, he told me when they are sitting there in traffic they are ALWAYS plugging in plates, that is how they find warrants or attached plates.... Watch an officer at a light next time, he is typing away on that laptop....
Yea ,Well he can type all he wants when I pass him cause he will see a special message on my vehicles in place of the usual DMV provided, that he will really understand once he lets his boss know what he has just observed. hands off , do not interfere with his travel! Got to love it.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't see nayhting wrong with redlight cameras. people are always screaming thaqt the traffic laws are not enforcedltaht enforces them at low cost to taxpayers also from what i have seen prevent traffic accidents. poeple just want to play games with traffic laws in my view.
Glad to know that you think standing up for you rights is playing games???? Tell that to the next Veteran you see, just make sure you're sitting down.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Read the post. It isn't children, it's adults at a university. People travel long distances to get there. Now they should all walk. Get real.

I agree.

" If you don't do anything wrong, you won't have anything to worry about."

The rallying cry for autocracy and increasing government power the world over. It's about the money.
Then what difference does ot make since you thnik they give non-vilators tickets too. Your just anti-enforcement is all.

Last edited by texdav; 03-06-2010 at 04:05 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 04:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Glad to know that you think standing up for you rights is playing games???? Tell that to the next Veteran you see, just make sure you're sitting down.
I am a veteran and need no lecture from you ;bud. You just a whiner is what I have come to realise.Momma;my rights are being violate because I was caught with my hnad i the cookie jar.Fighter1 indeedLOL.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:35 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,932,807 times
I did school, college, and university, and my first two years of work without a car, because I couldn't afford one.

A car is a luxury.
Not a necessity.

Perhaps it's not me who needs the reality check ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Read the post. It isn't children, it's adults at a university. People travel long distances to get there. Now they should all walk. Get real

Old 03-06-2010, 04:43 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,264,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I

A car is a luxury.
Not a necessity.
Oh really? Your statement is totally incorrect. Years ago, I was a delivery driver who drove my own car for work. If the car broke down I could not go to work. Now, I work far away from any form of public transportation. I need a car to get to work. With no car I starve and am homeless.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,932,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
"civil liberties crap" are you being serious?
Yes, largely it's crap. The people have too much power.
We can't say "Christmas ?
The police can't touch anyone without fear of being accused of brutality ?
Authorities in general are scared to move for fear of offending someone, or being sued ?
Despite the fact that, statistically, the highest risk of terrorism in the UK comes from the muslim community, the police were accused of "racism", because the majority of people stopped and searched under anti terrorism laws were muslims.
I mean, come on ?.....................

Quote:
"police now have no powers" really?
Yes. Poilice can't do anything, as above, they can't do anything without being accused of "brutality".
They are being turned into a group of pen pushing security guards, who are reduced to saying "stop, or I'll say stop again".
We constantly undermine authority to the point where it has no authority.

In the old days, if you were caught as a kid doing something, the poilceman would give you a clip round the ear, or a good kick in the arse, then take you home, where your parents would do the same.
Now, the policeman is more likely to be seen by the parents as a "piggy ba*stard"," and to stop "picking on the child".

a little fear is a good thing. People no longer "fear" the police.

Quote:
bobman, i don't know where you live but if it's in the uk i'll have you know that in the 12 years labour have been running things, 30 000 new criminal offences have been dreamt up and made law. and the picture's not much better in the states. the reality is that it's not very hard to break these laws on either side of the pond, and if we're to be under surveillance everywhere we go there's a good chance that you could be ponying up citation/penalty money more regularly.

this is not to mention the temptation for extreme abuse
Laws change all the time.
It's a very interesting statistic, but how many old laws ceased to exist in the same period ?
There's no point making it a political thing, because there's no real difference between the parties here, or, largely, I suspect, in the US.
Politicians appear not to act on behalf of the electorate any more, they are not in touch with the people.

However, society is changing, arguably at a faster rate than it has at any other point in history, therefore laws and statutes etc also have to change to keep up with it.
Again, if people didn't jump red lights, or break laws, there'd be no need for cameras.

To all the folks who think that running a red light is an issue of "freedom" rather than an issue of safety, please note that the red lights are there for a reason.
The next time you jump a red light, and a car drives into the side of you, because he's done the same, I hope you enjoy your moment of freedom.
Congratulations, you'll deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive