Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,626,612 times

Advertisements

If it's for your mom i'd suggest a Lexus ES. Boring, but safe & relatively cheap to maintain for a luxury marque. Just pray that it stops

Old 04-06-2010, 07:17 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,431,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I'd wager that the Porsche is more reliable than the Audi.

Probably, but the maintenance on a Porsche is killer.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,691,986 times
Quote:
Hoping to get some good ideas from you fellas. My mother is looking to spend around $8,000-$10,000 on a used vehicle. It shouldn't look overly dated and we're looking to keep mileage below 70k. So far we've looked at a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 and a 2000 Porsche Boxster. The Audi was very nice but we offered the guy $8000 cash and he wouldnt budge below $8500 so we walked. We are not in a hurry and my mother will only buy something when she knows she's getting a great deal for her money. What other cars should we look at? Most domestics are pretty much out of the picture here.
Your mom would be well pleased with a 2003/2004 Toyota Avalon. Those years of Avalon were not in the recalls and are one whale of a lotta car for the money!! Also the Avalon is a sleeper that most folk's don't know about since it markets to the older mature customer base that demands comfort and superior reliability which Avalon has in spades!!

If not Avalon then look at recent year Buick for a car for mom.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,111,109 times
Although the Avalon and ES are nice for what they are, they are a bit boring and probably would be at the bottom of the list in terms of what she's looking for. We're also looking at auctions at the moment and basically have all the time in the world to find a steal. I've got my G35, my brother has a 2006 Maxima (which was our mothers) and because she rarely drives we have a beater Sentra that we'll get rid of once she gets another car. She just wants something a bit fancier and more presentable.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,227,855 times
If your Mother is elderly, maybe a Cadillac or Lincoln would be most appropriate. Big, comfortable and relatively inexpensive used.

Maybe not considering Domestics is a mistake.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
If your Mother is elderly, maybe a Cadillac or Lincoln would be most appropriate. Big, comfortable and relatively inexpensive used.

Maybe not considering Domestics is a mistake.
Cadillac and Lincoln don't offer anything attractive at that price (particularly older models). The only thing that would make any sense is the first generation CTS but at that point we might as well just get another G35. She's in her mid 40's and isn't looking for a boat.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 PM

747 posts, read 2,760,785 times
Quote:
Hoping to get some good ideas from you fellas. My mother is looking to spend around $8,000-$10,000 on a used vehicle. It shouldn't look overly dated and we're looking to keep mileage below 70k. So far we've looked at a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 and a 2000 Porsche Boxster. The Audi was very nice but we offered the guy $8000 cash and he wouldnt budge below $8500 so we walked. We are not in a hurry and my mother will only buy something when she knows she's getting a great deal for her money. What other cars should we look at? Most domestics are pretty much out of the picture here.
Quote:
Although the Avalon and ES are nice for what they are, they are a bit boring and probably would be at the bottom of the list in terms of what she's looking for. We're also looking at auctions at the moment and basically have all the time in the world to find a steal. I've got my G35, my brother has a 2006 Maxima (which was our mothers) and because she rarely drives we have a beater Sentra that we'll get rid of once she gets another car. She just wants something a bit fancier and more presentable.
You haven't described any driving characteristics or priorities other than wanting a nominally 'luxury' nameplate. Sounds like an ES would actually be perfect for her.

PS: if that isn't somehow 'presentable' enough, you can get an older GS or LS, or perhaps an Acura RL.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
You haven't described any driving characteristics or priorities other than wanting a nominally 'luxury' nameplate. Sounds like an ES would actually be perfect for her.

PS: if that isn't somehow 'presentable' enough, you can get an older GS or LS, or perhaps an Acura RL.
The ES is too pedestrian, its a comfy but lacks excitement. I've already recommended it. I'm looking at the previous gen LS, which are attainable for about $15k. Lexus vehicles aren't known for driving excitement but the ES is a huffied up Camry while the LS is in a world of its own.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,707,783 times
How about a 2000-2002 Cadillac Eldorado?

Sporty, right around $10K used, comfortable, and has some performance behind it. They're quite nice, I used to own one and I'm 29!

There are not a whole bunch of "luxury" vehicles in the $8K-$10K range that either:
a) don't need some work
b) have a lot of miles

Old 04-06-2010, 08:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,950,643 times
Quote:
Cadillac and Lincoln don't offer anything attractive at that price (particularly older models). The only thing that would make any sense is the first generation CTS but at that point we might as well just get another G35. She's in her mid 40's and isn't looking for a boat.
lol. I'm 29, and I have a Cadillac CTS. It's anything but a boat

My brother has a G35, and they're pretty comparable cars. The Infiniti drives kinda like a Bimmer, while the Caddy has more of a Benz feel. The Infiniti would get the nod for mechanical reliability, but the cosmetic parts (interior trim, paint finish) aren't as durable as the Caddy. I wouldn't have a problem recommending either one, provided it comes with sufficient maintenance and repair documentation.

Buying a used luxury car in this price range is tricky. To me, going with a certified pre-owned car is worth the piece of mind, as I've already had to use my certified warranty for a few repairs that would have otherwise been quite pricey. Your options would be more limited, but at least it makes you look at newer cars. Volvo S40, perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive