Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:24 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
2011 Superduties won't come with a manual tranny, period.

If autos are so good, why aren't the rest of the countries switching over?
And why isn't the long haul trucking industry switching over?

Maybe there are still advantages to being able to choose what gear you want to be in, and not whatever gear a computer thinks you should be in.

Of course, there's an obvious reason why U.S. automakers would want to kill the stick shift. Reliability. Manual transmissions are light-years ahead of automatics in terms of reliability. Which means that stealerships don't make as much money repairing manual transmission vehicles. Replacing a clutch is cheap compared to rebuilding an automatic transmission. And how often would you have to replace a clutch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:00 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
And why isn't the long haul trucking industry switching over?

Maybe there are still advantages to being able to choose what gear you want to be in, and not whatever gear a computer thinks you should be in.

Of course, there's an obvious reason why U.S. automakers would want to kill the stick shift. Reliability. Manual transmissions are light-years ahead of automatics in terms of reliability. Which means that stealerships don't make as much money repairing manual transmission vehicles. Replacing a clutch is cheap compared to rebuilding an automatic transmission. And how often would you have to replace a clutch?
lol, A lot of trucking companies are switching over. It's mostly due to truck drivers not knowing what the hell they're doing in a manual though.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times
Quote:
Does anyone even offer a stick shift on a heavy duty pickup truck these days?

It seems that the stick shift is being relegated to either small, compact cars, light duty trucks, or cars that the average Joe cannot afford.

Personally, I hate it. I've never liked automatic transmissions. Hate every boring minute of driving one, hate them in the hilly country, and especially when pulling any sort of a load. They always feel gutless and never seem to be in the right gear.

They break down more often, and cost a boatload more to repair and maintain than manual transmissions as well. Perhaps why many of the car companies are no longer offering you the choice. After all, they make money on those repairs!
You can get a six speed manual in all the Ford Super Duty F-250 and F-350 full size trucks.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:17 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
2011 Superduties won't come with a manual tranny, period.

If autos are so good, why aren't the rest of the countries switching over?
I just found out that the 2011's have a 6 speed manually selectable automatic! WTF!!! I guess I haven't shopped lately! 2011 Ford Super Duty Features | Official Site of the Ford Super Duty | FordVehicles.com

Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Of course, there's an obvious reason why U.S. automakers would want to kill the stick shift. Reliability. Manual transmissions are light-years ahead of automatics in terms of reliability. Which means that stealerships don't make as much money repairing manual transmission vehicles.

Ahh, another conspiracy.

Automatics today are so flexible that using a standard shift seems pretty much an affectation. My last pickup, an 06 F-150, had a standard shift but I bought it because it was the cheapest truck on the lot not because it was a stick.

And indeed a standard did save money but in a world where many pick-ups have carpets, power windows and leather seats that doesn't seem very important anymore.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,205 times
No wonder people buy foreign stock trucks. They at least have standard transmission options and sale more. Europe, Germany in particular are about as green minded as you come, but you will be hard pressed to find car or truck with a automatic transmission. They at least give you an option to order it your way. None of the U.S. Manufactures that still have not payed back their loans the its citizens give you an option if you wanted to order one of their trucks with a standard. I for one hate automatics and will never drive one, because I like to drive not be bored to death. So come on people write to your dealers and get the standard back in the truck where it belongs. A truck is not a car and should have a good ole standard. If you have ever been stuck and tried to rock out with a automatic you know what I mean, it sucks. I like to be in control of the drive not the drive in control of me....

Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,205 times
I don't think so. Trucks are made to have standard transmissions, not a girl type transportation in my eyes. I want tough hard core mud slinging gravel grabbing gears I tell when to change. Do not need the fancy plush and flashey crap. Just a plain truck with rubber flooring and leather seats which make it easy to wash out with a water hose. A crew cab for party room and other things. At least a v-8 or better. And standard non-automatic transmission.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
3% of truck buyers would agree with you...97% wouldn't. If people actually bought manuals then the manufacturers would put them in. I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying per se, just pointing out that you are in the extreme minority of truck buyers.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:20 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Sadly a number of people don’t buy full-size trucks to use them anymore. In my town you’re just as likely to see a new F250 or it’s equivalent at the nail salon then the job site.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Sadly a number of people don’t buy full-size trucks to use them anymore. In my town you’re just as likely to see a new F250 or it’s equivalent at the nail salon then the job site.

Why would it be sad? If a person want's to buy a new Corvette and never drive it over 55 it's their business, they bought it, they own it. I have a 2001 F150 and use it to tow and the bed always has something in it. My wife also loves to drive it and uses it often, she don't tow or haul anything. What's the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive