Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 AM

114 posts, read 849,833 times

Advertisements

We have a 2004 Toyota Corolla that we owe $2k more than it's worth.

I know, i know...

What I don't know is this:

Can I trade it in for a similar car (pre-loved), lower my monthly payments ($317) and my interest rate (11.99%)? I realize I will still owe $2,000 more than the car is worth since they'd probably tack on the $2k onto the finance, right?

I'm a bit lost when it comes to car financing, as you can see.

Anyone know if that's possible? And how to negotiate the best deal with a dealer?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM

747 posts, read 2,757,763 times
What on earth is a 'pre-loved' car dealer? Pls let's just call it what it is...

Back to your question, what you have is negative equity (of $2K). You can 'roll that in' to your next finance: it will add that to your next loan balance, so your payments might go up and/or your loan term might increase. Normally I'd advise against that, but if you can reduce your interest rate a lot, it might be worth it.

11.99% sounds pretty high. Was your credit rating very low or did you not realize what rate you were signing up for? If the former, has your rating improved in the meantime? Do you have any idea what rate you could get now?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Yea, you are getting reemed on that rate. You must have purchased the vehicle before the recession and have poor credit. Anyone with decent credit can get at least 5.9%. Thats what I was able to get and I have stellar credit in 08. Now I'm looking for 0.0.% since it is a buyers market now. That high rate is the main reason why you are upside down on the vehicle and thats only going to continue.

That type of vehicle is easy to sell private party, high demand on Corolla's in most areas of the nation.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Pay more each month or buy a cheaper car.

Problem solved.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM

I previously had lousy credit. It's pretty good now.

Should I find out what rate they'd give me now and negotiate from there?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:47 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
don't use the dealer financing...go visit a credit union and see what they can do!

in the meantime, can you scrounge up some cash to make the difference up for the negative equity??

do you know your credit score?

and the best way to negotiate is to educate yourself...look up the average trade in value of your car, and before telling the dealer what you found, wait for them to give you what they'll offer...

but realize, the dealer figures you'll probably do this...with that being said, don't be surprised if they offer you more than what you figured the trade in value would be...in this case, pay attention to what they are asking for their vehicle, b/c it's easy to inflate that price to compensate for the overpayment of your trade in.....and yes, i've been in the business.

if you find a credit union will give you a good deal on a loan, keep that in your back pocket...if you find the right deal on the new (used) vehicle, don't reveal your means of financing until you hear from their Finance guy...then compare that to what you can do, and if you can do better, just pass on their financing...

reason behind that, if a dealer knows you're not using their means of financing, that's a hit on their bottom line...and they may not be so willing to negotiate the price of their car...

also, what's wrong with the car, besides the payment and rate?? it may be worth rethinking this situation...

Old 04-14-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
don't use the dealer financing...go visit a credit union and see what they can do!

in the meantime, can you scrounge up some cash to make the difference up for the negative equity?? none

do you know your credit score? in the mid to high 600's last I checked

and the best way to negotiate is to educate yourself...look up the average trade in value of your car, and before telling the dealer what you found, wait for them to give you what they'll offer...

but realize, the dealer figures you'll probably do this...with that being said, don't be surprised if they offer you more than what you figured the trade in value would be...in this case, pay attention to what they are asking for their vehicle, b/c it's easy to inflate that price to compensate for the overpayment of your trade in.....and yes, i've been in the business. so that's great! they offer more than the car is "valued" at?

if you find a credit union will give you a good deal on a loan, keep that in your back pocket...if you find the right deal on the new (used) vehicle, don't reveal your means of financing until you hear from their Finance guy...then compare that to what you can do, and if you can do better, just pass on their financing... will try

reason behind that, if a dealer knows you're not using their means of financing, that's a hit on their bottom line...and they may not be so willing to negotiate the price of their car...

also, what's wrong with the car, besides the payment and rate?? it may be worth rethinking this situation...
our family is growing and we need a bigger car

Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post

Wrong. Dealer financing is where it's at right now. Tons of 0% offers, or super-low rate offers.

OP, you can trade it in. If your credit is better, you might qualify for a better rate, but keep in mind you're starting $2K in the hole already. A lot of banks these days are going to want to see you make that difference up. If you don't have any cash down, you might not find a better deal.

Also, tacking on $2K extra is essentially another $35 - $45 a month on your payment.

Edit - mid-to-high 600's is decent but not enough to qualify for the better rates. Most are for people 690 or better.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Wrong. Dealer financing is where it's at right now. Tons of 0% offers, or super-low rate offers.

OP, you can trade it in. If your credit is better, you might qualify for a better rate, but keep in mind you're starting $2K in the hole already. A lot of banks these days are going to want to see you make that difference up. If you don't have any cash down, you might not find a better deal.

Also, tacking on $2K extra is essentially another $35 - $45 a month on your payment.

Edit - mid-to-high 600's is decent but not enough to qualify for the better rates. Most are for people 690 or better.
my husband's is better than 690.
the car is in my name now only. would it be better to finance the new one together? would that make a difference?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
read the OP...he's looking for a similar car to his 2004 toyota. so, 0% financing on a 5-6 yr old car?? negative.

**to the OP, if your score is in the 600's, definitely visit a credit union...i can almost guarantee you'll fare better there than the dealers financing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive