Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:18 PM

9 posts, read 49,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
The only think I know about commercial airline pilots is that they really don't make a lot of money. Something really low like 30k considering that they navigate such expensive machinery.

Many of the lower raking pilots all share the same apartments (maybe 12 of them in a 2 bedroom) because they can't afford their own place from the pay the receive.

As a matter of fact I recently found out that there are Airline pilots who are living in the parking lot of LAX.

LAX parking lot is home away from home for airline workers - Los Angeles Times
Wow!! the parking lot? I watched a story on abc about the regional pilots renting beds, but the parking lot? In my situation, this gentleman is a 22 year seniority Captain. He owns his own house...but I am sure when he started out, it was not glamorous.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 01:43 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgirl76 View Post
I appreciate everyone's opinion. This gentleman who I am considering dating is a Captain of a well known domestic airline. He has been a captain for 22 years and owns a home in a city in Florida. He has a high seniority and only flies 3 days out of the week. It seems like a date may be harmless, as long as I look out for clues that I would normally look out for with any date. I.e. tan line on a ring finger.....
I hope you have a great time. I was very hesitant to be set up with the man I am seeing now because my last long term relationship was with a pilot. All my friends said, "Oh no! Not another pilot!" But they couldn't be more different from one another. My new friend is a Captain also--maybe that makes a positive difference!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Good grief, did you even read the article? My brother's a commercial airline pilot...he makes WAY more than $30,000. Did you pick up that dollar amount from the article? Because if you did, you misread this part:

In addition, the guys referenced in the article CAN afford their own homes, but many of them are hubbed out of different cities...hence, they share an apartment with other pilots closer to where they work. Or, they live in an RV in the LAX parking lot, as referenced in this article.
No, I got the dollar amount from a news feature I saw. And I stand corrected, low level pilots make 16k a year.

Inside Airline Pilot 'Crash Pads' | Video - ABC News

"Passengers aboard doomed Flight 3407 trusted their lives to a pilot who lied about his flying record and a sleep-deprived, young co-pilot who got paid just $16,000 a year, airline and federal officials said Wednesday.
"

"Finnigan said that first officers such as Shaw made about $23 for each hour in the air and Shaw had earned $16,254 last year. Finnigan also said that first officers typically earned the "industry standard" of about $20,000 and captains made between $53,000 and $55,000 at Colgan."

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009...olgan-air-crew

Last edited by calicali01; 11-19-2011 at 05:10 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 05:04 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
I knew they did better than some here are saying, salary-wise. How much money does an airline pilot earn

Old 11-19-2011, 10:34 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,480 times
Pilots love being pilots until they meet doctors I've heard.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Pilots love being pilots until they meet doctors I've heard.
Mine seems okay with me...I have a doctorate.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I knew they did better than some here are saying, salary-wise. How much money does an airline pilot earn
Thanks for finding that. I knew it was more, also.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,547 times
I have been with my pilot boyfriend (he is a f.o. for a major airline & flies primarily international) for 3 1/2 years, the last 1 1/2, living together. We talk about marriage often, however, I can tell you we've really had our ups and downs. I know he loves me and I love him, but it doesn't make the realities of him being away so much, any easier. If you decide to enter in to a realtionship with a pilot, you need to make sure you completely trust, respect, and are committed to each other. They can make wonderful partners (the travel perks don't hurt either), but it takes patience and understanding. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
I have a relative who is a pilot (capt) & his airline buddies think they are all that & a bag of chips. They are a joke.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:49 PM

625 posts, read 902,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgirl76 View Post
I have met an airline pilot, and have considered going on a date with him. I am just wondering what challenges anyone has faced dating a pilot? I know they are gone 3 to 4 days out of a week, which probably won't be a problem for me. In a previous relationship, he traveled for work about 2 weeks out of a month....Just want to see what you all think???
It's a date, not marriage. Everyone is not the same. Don't prejudge. Relax, keep your eyes open and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation