Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Good point, but overconfidence can kill you as well.

Anyhow, being a guy, I think these guys are just cocky because they are able to operate such sophisticated machinery.
In general they are, and kinda rightfully so. Like mentioned above, you don't want someone unsure and hesitant commanding an aircraft.

I'm not bashing on pilots (really!), there are a lot of other occupations that seem to have higher infidelity in general than other occupations. And I'm definitely not bashing on men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What am I supposed to say...? Don't do it! And then you'd say: Yes, Mommy!

I mean, I haven't even seen the guy, but it's no secret on this forum how I feel about the military in general...

As far as pilots, I had a brief fling with one back home. It's a good thing it wasn't anything serious because he was doing really dangerous and illegal stuff (flying over embargo zones where they weren't supposed to fly). He was leading a frantic and very stressful life - not worth it for any money really... Other than that he was a cool guy, but he was trying to catch big fish in muddy waters and he did get killed on one of those "missions." Come to think of it, a friend of mine was involved with a regular commercial pilot. He was an as@.
Wow!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And I'm definitely not bashing on men.
You better not be!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgirl76 View Post
I have met an airline pilot, and have considered going on a date with him. I am just wondering what challenges anyone has faced dating a pilot? I know they are gone 3 to 4 days out of a week, which probably won't be a problem for me. In a previous relationship, he traveled for work about 2 weeks out of a month....Just want to see what you all think???
The only think I know about commercial airline pilots is that they really don't make a lot of money. Something really low like 30k considering that they navigate such expensive machinery.

Many of the lower raking pilots all share the same apartments (maybe 12 of them in a 2 bedroom) because they can't afford their own place from the pay the receive.

As a matter of fact I recently found out that there are Airline pilots who are living in the parking lot of LAX.

LAX parking lot is home away from home for airline workers - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-18-2011, 06:36 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wait a second, I just read through about 4 or 5 of my posts, and referenced pilots NOT gender.

But the fact that I use the term pilots and NOT men, should give you some indication.

You are way off base, I don't dislike men, and I don't think they are dogs. My opinion of pilots in general is different. Overall I find them to be dogs.

Corrected: I read through ALL of my posts and I NEVER said men, EXCEPT in the post above. That's because I was talking about the guys who openly talk of their exploits, the women don't, they are talked about. Basically the women don't brag, when they are fooling around the others talk about it. They don't seem to fool around as randomly, it's usually with other pilots or crew.

But you jumped on the erroneous assumption that I was male bashing BEFORE I EVER used the word "guy".

Which seems to indicate that it never crossed your mind that a woman could be a pilot? Hmmmmm....

I swear, the men around here are either constantly complaining or jumping to conclusions. Such delicate little feelings they have.
lol I see you completely deleted this posts original content which said specifically that you were speaking of men because you thought the op was female. I suppose I should have quoted it so you couldn't come back and change it later when you figured out your mistake. Live and learn I guess.

As to tender feelings. That really did make me laugh out loud. I did not jump to conclusions nor complain. I called a spade a spade. I would suggest going back and changing the rest of your posts to better support your story while your busy reinventing history.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
lol I see you completely deleted this posts original content which said specifically that you were speaking of men because you thought the op was female. I suppose I should have quoted it so you couldn't come back and change it later when you figured out your mistake. Live and learn I guess.

As to tender feelings. That really did make me laugh out loud. I did not jump to conclusions nor complain. I called a spade a spade. I would suggest going back and changing the rest of your posts to better support your story while your busy reinventing history.
I wrote that because I was thinking about male pilots as I assumed the poster was female. I assumed I wrote in that context, because YOU SAID I did. When I actually went back and read, I found that you were totally wrong.

But DESPITE that I only referenced pilots, NOT male pilots. Why? Because my opinion is based upon PILOTS not MEN.

So even though I assumed the OP was talking about men, I STILL only talked about pilots.

Because that is the issue.

I changed NONE of the posts you quoted orginally. Only the one where I assumed that if you said I said "men" that you were right. When I realized you were incorrect I revised my resonse. YOU said I said men, and I didn't.

But you are welcome to take it as male bashing, as your heart desires. I don't bash males, as I have nothing but good to say about the majority. I also don't bash women. Bashing any 50% of the population as one group is lazy, and just plain wrong.

And I have little, to no toleration, with people who take offense where there is none. I find that intellectually lazy also.

If you still want to take it as male bashing, I suggest you cup your testes and TRY to stand up straight.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,793 times
I didn't say you did, I said you should to better support your story. You changed the one I quoted and did so just as I said and what I said was accurate as to its contents. To be honest I think you are a good poster here and while I disagree with the comment you make you may want to remember that I was speaking to ALL such comments made during the course of the thread. I was going to let this go but I felt compelled to comment after you deleted the true contents of your post and replaced it with text differing completely from the original. lol I really am going to give you the last word now. Evening.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
I didn't say you did, I said you should to better support your story. You changed the one I quoted and did so just as I said and what I said was accurate as to its contents. To be honest I think you are a good poster here and while I disagree with the comment you make you may want to remember that I was speaking to ALL such comments made during the course of the thread. I was going to let this go but I felt compelled to comment after you deleted the true contents of your post and replaced it with text differing completely from the original. lol I really am going to give you the last word now. Evening.
I changed my response to the post where you MISQUOTED me. Because you misquoted me. In good faith I assumed your comments were true, when I reviewed I found you were completely off base, I never cited men in any of my comments, save the very last one. Before that one even happened you were all ready calling me out for male bashing. I had only used the word "pilots".

You claimed I was male bashing before I EVER mentioned the word "guy".

Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
The only think I know about commercial airline pilots is that they really don't make a lot of money. Something really low like 30k considering that they navigate such expensive machinery.

Many of the lower raking pilots all share the same apartments (maybe 12 of them in a 2 bedroom) because they can't afford their own place from the pay the receive.

As a matter of fact I recently found out that there are Airline pilots who are living in the parking lot of LAX.

LAX parking lot is home away from home for airline workers - Los Angeles Times
Good grief, did you even read the article? My brother's a commercial airline pilot...he makes WAY more than $30,000. Did you pick up that dollar amount from the article? Because if you did, you misread this part:

Quote:
Salaries for pilots, mechanics and other airline workers have plummeted. Captains like Lancaster have been demoted to first officer, losing hard-earned seniority and forcing them out of plum assignments at airports close to home. Lancaster, who came to LAX from Seattle about 18 months ago, estimates that his reduction in rank cost him about $30,000 a year, roughly 20% of his pay.
In addition, the guys referenced in the article CAN afford their own homes, but many of them are hubbed out of different cities...hence, they share an apartment with other pilots closer to where they work. Or, they live in an RV in the LAX parking lot, as referenced in this article.

Quote:
The 60-year-old aviator's primary residence is a cottage he shares with his wife overlooking a quiet bay off Puget Sound in Washington state. Living in Lot B while he's on duty means he doesn't have to rent a Los Angeles apartment with other pilots or spend 12 hours a day commuting to and from the Seattle area.

Rather than quit their jobs or uproot their families for what could be a temporary stint in Los Angeles, workers have settled in Lot B, where the rent is only $60 a month.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 PM

9 posts, read 49,519 times
I appreciate everyone's opinion. This gentleman who I am considering dating is a Captain of a well known domestic airline. He has been a captain for 22 years and owns a home in a city in Florida. He has a high seniority and only flies 3 days out of the week. It seems like a date may be harmless, as long as I look out for clues that I would normally look out for with any date. I.e. tan line on a ring finger.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation