Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 PM

9 posts, read 49,529 times

Advertisements

I have met an airline pilot, and have considered going on a date with him. I am just wondering what challenges anyone has faced dating a pilot? I know they are gone 3 to 4 days out of a week, which probably won't be a problem for me. In a previous relationship, he traveled for work about 2 weeks out of a month....Just want to see what you all think???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:59 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Only had experience with a co-pilot and while you can't lump any group of people (so I don't really know what you want) you already seem to know the main thing, they're gone a lot. In my experience, he was very egotistical because of his job. Didn't stick around long enough to see how big his ego got once he became pilot instead of co.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:27 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times
I agree it seems like you understand that they travel a lot and are not always home. Sometimes they work on call during their days off. My nephew is a pilot or a co pilot actually. I don't know anything about pilots in general, all I can say is my nephew has an ego the size of a 747. He is married and his wife has a good job so she pretty much pays for all the nice stuff they have. A lot of people don't realize that pilots make really crappy money. My nephew's first gig out of college paid him an average of 12 bucks an hour I don't think he makes much more than that now after 5 yrs. He has over a 100k in school loans. I mean really who cares if you can do what you love but the ego things drives me nuts. Never did I think when I baby sat him at 5 yrs old would he grow up to think he is far superior to me. I rarely converse with him now. There is this aura of glam with a pilot and I can imagine a lot of opportunities to fool around. It really boils down to the person though. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,287,529 times
Never dated one but do have two friends that are flight attendants (one for Air Canada and one for Qatar Air) and conversations regarding pilots seem to always include the words "serial cheaters" and "conceited". I knew one pilot personally and he left his wife (my cousin) for a flight attendant (and then left her for another one after that). So, take it or leave it, but from anything I have ever heard, they do not have the greatest track record or reputation for fidelity or humility. I am sure there are exceptions. Hopefully yours is one.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:22 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Only had experience with a co-pilot and while you can't lump any group of people (so I don't really know what you want) you already seem to know the main thing, they're gone a lot. In my experience, he was very egotistical because of his job. Didn't stick around long enough to see how big his ego got once he became pilot instead of co.
I agree and the one I dated was retired but he walked around like he was god's gift to women. He was short and heavyset with a heart condition not exactly Brad Pitt.

Also I hope this is someone you know who lives in the US. I got contacted once on an online dating site by someone claiming to be a pilot with a pic in a uniform too, who needed me to send him money for his son in Africa.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:30 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
I was a flight attendant for 11 years, resigned 3 years ago to become an RN. My husband still flies (FA), and our relationship works great for us, but, I think it's successful because I understand the business and how it works (no jealousy issues). I dated a pilot in the past, and was harrassed by too many to count, so my opinion of them isn't very high. There are some phenomenal ones out there, but, it's a rarity, unfortunately. They have very high opinions of themselves, it's the nature of the beast. Good luck, whatever you decide. Be aware, monogamy is not usually a part of their vocab, and the wedding bands disappear very quickly after the first leg of the trip.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Now you can join the "mile high" club.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
He will never have trouble putting his plane on your landing strip

Old 11-17-2011, 07:53 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,239,558 times
Reminds me of the movie "catch me if you can"....

Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,838 times
A few years ago, I had a class with a woman in her early 40's and she had been married twice to pilots and although her case was extreme, she knew a ton more pilots as well and she had nothing good to say about them. One of her husbands threatened to kill her family..it was bad..but like I said, that's an extreme case. Be careful. Hopefully the worst you get is just a guy who is a plain ol jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation