Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:54 PM

89 posts, read 118,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Dont they always say that at this point
I guess you have a point, although I highly doubt any cut will be significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 01:57 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginian101 View Post
The new airliner has already announced they won't be lessening Charlotte's international position and will stay committed to all of the current hubs.
Charlotte will probably have its European service see some cuts. But other than that, nothing major, aside from the Brazil flights.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the new American leverages the US Airways assets into its own and expands the network. Something tells me a sizable expansion in Europe and Asia is incoming by 2016.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
I guess you have a point, although I highly doubt any cut will be significant.
Ive been in contact with people at both airlines. My prediction, based on what Ive heard for Charlotte:

-Roughly 450 flights a day
-Transatlantic service to London and Frankfurt kept year round/Paris and Madird to be seasonal. Dublin and Rome will eventually be cut.
-Sao Paulo will be retimed for better slots and Rio will be cut
-Major Caribbean destinations will be cut, minor ones will shift to Miami in frequency
-No domestic destinations to be lost.

This may not thrill our friends in Charlotte, but its a lot more rosy than what I think will take place in Phoenix.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
And what is the conventioanl wisdom for PHL post merger (well post plus reconfiguration down the road)

curious

Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
The new airliner has already announced they won't be lessening Charlotte's international position and will stay committed to all of the current hubs.
It's common practice for executives to state that things will remain the same or few changes will be made after a merger. It's complete b.s. 9 times out of 10.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
It's common practice for executives to state that things will remain the same or few changes will be made after a merger. It's complete b.s. 9 times out of 10.
Losing the HQ really sucks for PHX when you consider the history of America West.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 PM

89 posts, read 118,639 times
It makes no sense to me why two mega airlines merging into one would cut international flights.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
It makes no sense to me why two mega airlines merging into one would cut international flights.

It may not be cuts but more re-routing

Also I believe that the new Airline has some newer stock coming which could have larger loads. Miami may be a more attractive S America or Carribean hub than CLT or even a JFK or PHL for europe. who knows but the routes can change without reducing the number, just where they depart from

CLT is a good location for domestic hub traffic but I believe has smaller O&D relative to connection on the Int'l lights which I believe have lower overall yields if I am not mistaken

A larger airline can be more effecient without reducing destinations but potentially in how people get to these destinations. ORD could potentially also get some European business I would suspect in this case.

I am very curious on PHL as personally I would like more Int'l options not sue that will happen though

Old 06-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And what is the conventioanl wisdom for PHL post merger (well post plus reconfiguration down the road)

curious
Here is part of a report I did a while back. I posted the same thing on a.net:

Below are the daily market sized between PHL-Europe by PDEW:

London: 209
Paris: 93
Rome: 91
Frankfurt: 89
Tel Aviv: 56
Dublin: 50
Manchester: 49
Madrid: 45
Barcelona: 40
Amsterdam: 36
Munich: 35

Based on this plus connections, I see the following in PHL's Europe portfolio:

- 4-5 flights to London to be mixed with American/British Airways
-Daily year round service to Paris, Rome, Frankfurt, Madrid, Manchester, and Tel Aviv (should AA be able to settle the score with the Israeli government regarding past TWA debts).
-Seasonal service to Dublin and maybe Barcelona
-All European destinations shifted to JFK or eliminated

In addition to Europe, I see:

-400 flights per day
-No domestic destinations dropped
-Eventual service to Tokyo-Narita to be operated by AA or JL
-Maybe service to Sao Paulo, but I would recommend to the airline that it not be started. Not much of a local market and not good geography for it. JFK and MIA can handle the East Coast flows.

My thoughts.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Part of a merger is synergy (which is mostly a BS buzzword, but it applies here). There are roles that Charlotte, Philly, and Phoenix play for US now that they wont need to for the combined airline. For examples Charlotte will not need 700+ flights a day for the new carrier. The local market certainly doesnt need it and with more cross country hubs to choose from, the carrier can route move them through different hubs. As I mentioned, I see Charlotte having 450-500 flights a day with some reduced service to Europe, the Caribbean, and South America. That said, Charlotte is still going to be going to be a very important hub for the airline and will still have international flights. The local markets just arent what the other hubs on the East Coast. Below are the market sizes from Charlotte to its largest cities in Europe:

London: 82
Frankfurt: 43
Munich: 30
Paris: 29
Rome: 23
Dublin: 16
Manchester: 9

The numbers above are PDEW.

Domestically, these are Charlottes biggest markets:

New York: 2678
Boston: 1239
Washington DC: 1106
Chicago: 957
Los Angeles: 732
Dallas: 655
Miami/Fort Lauderdale: 654
Orlando: 612
Philadelphia: 601
San Francisco: 557
Las Vegas: 542
Minneapolis: 475
Detroit: 392
Seattle: 383
Atlanta: 375
Tampa: 370
Houston: 359
Providence: 340
Phoenix: 300

These are round trip numbers. Divide them in half to get PDEW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation