Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The Charlotte-Sao Paulo flight is operating on leased slots from United that will expire. US Airways applied for both Charlotte and Philly to Sao Paulo, but because the slots they currently use are leased, the Charlotte and PHL-Sao Paulo flights are both technically for new slots. The US and Brazil dont have open skies, so everything is done by application and the DOT chooses the winners.

Sky Talk: DOT proposes giving Brazil routes to American, Delta and US Airways
Thanks for the clarification!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
You are correct on the question of PHL-Europe. Philly doesnt bleed as much there, but they do bleed a lot of India/Middle East (or at least they seem to). The Qatar Airways flight will help that a lot. I do expect PHL's international O&D to increase somewhat with that flight.

However, youll be waiting on Sao Paulo for a while. The DOT didnt award US that route. They gave them Charlotte-Sao Paulo instead.
I am going to assume that Qatar flight will rely heavily on connecting traffic.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I am going to assume that Qatar flight will rely heavily on connecting traffic.
Yes, especially since the aircraft being used is a 77W. That would be way too much given the local market size. They will depend on the new American to provide the feed.

A 787 would have had a better chance of just catering to the local PHL market, but the 77W is way too large.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:33 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
The list is essentially large(r) metros and/or major tourist destinations. This list hold few to no surprises for me.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,385 times
Quote:
Some other observations:
-Atlanta's domestic numbers fell off of a cliff while the international numbers held steady YOY. Atlanta's domestic O&D numbers were pushing 26 million in 2010 and in 2012 they didnt even hit 19 million. I imagine Atlanta just had a bad year and will probably see an increase next year. Losses that big typically arent constant.
-Dallas had a large percentage increase of international O&D while it was flat on domestic O&D. This is probably due to Emirates and Qantas starting service and Korean and Aeromexico increasing service to the area. This stopped much of the bleed to Houston on the India/Middle East traffic.
-Houston and Seattle had huge increases of domestic O&D and bumps on international O&D as well.
-San Diego & Orlando had an increase of international O&D while a dip in domestic.
This is a sore subject with me since the Dallas Qantas flight used to be out of SFO. I have been wanting to see the numbers on that flight in the last year after the initial buzz died down. Obviously it can't be all bad since the route is still current but having to connect in LAX for a Qantas flight or fly United's inferior non-stop SFO-SYD makes every Bay Arean cringe with dissapointment. Where is Virgin Blue? That was rumoured but nothing materialized. Qantas is the most fickle knee jerk reaction airline I've ever seen. Even their upper management makes dumb decision. Like ordering gas guzzling 747-400ER's when most other carriers were ordering 777ER/LRs. Qantas lack of an aircraft like that limits their profitability on routes that would be optimized and better suited on a 777 IMO.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:59 PM

484 posts, read 871,722 times
I read somewhere that LAX is ranked #1 in O&D passengers in the US and is the world's busiest O&D airport. But I think the data was from 2009. I'll try to find the link to the source where I read it. Can anyone confirm or deny if that is still the case?

Source: http://www.lawa.org/newsContent.aspx?ID=1290

Last edited by jimmykem; 06-20-2013 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: Found link to source

Old 06-21-2013, 07:10 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
I read somewhere that LAX is ranked #1 in O&D passengers in the US and is the world's busiest O&D airport. But I think the data was from 2009. I'll try to find the link to the source where I read it. Can anyone confirm or deny if that is still the case?

Source: News Content
That's just #1 in on-time performances. From that same article:

"Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the third busiest airport in the U.S. and sixth in the world, offering more than 565 daily flights to 81 destinations in the U.S. and over 1,000 weekly nonstop flights to 65 international destinations on over 75 carriers."

Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 AM

178 posts, read 284,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Will be interesting to see any post merger changes regardless. JFK cant grow much but we will see

U.S. Airways to launch Philly-Brazil direct route
JFK can actually grow quite a bit. They have federal flight limits, but not capacity limits, and have been steadily replacing smaller capacity domestic routes with larger capacity international or transcontinental routes.

With the new terminals planned, the reliance on international traffic, and the serious discussion of an additional runway, JFK seems like it will have higher-than-average growth compared to other airports in the Northeast. It's especially so reliant on international traffic, which is growing so much faster than domestic.

I would say, among the NYC Big Three, JFK would have the fastest growth in the coming years. You're getting a new JetBlue International Terminal, Delta just completed Phase I of its Terminal 4 expansion (and Phase II is coming), AA is planning Phase II of its terminal, and BA is planning to redevelop its terminal.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almont1 View Post
JFK can actually grow quite a bit. They have federal flight limits, but not capacity limits, and have been steadily replacing smaller capacity domestic routes with larger capacity international or transcontinental routes.

With the new terminals planned, the reliance on international traffic, and the serious discussion of an additional runway, JFK seems like it will have higher-than-average growth compared to other airports in the Northeast. It's especially so reliant on international traffic, which is growing so much faster than domestic.

I would say, among the NYC Big Three, JFK would have the fastest growth in the coming years. You're getting a new JetBlue International Terminal, Delta just completed Phase I of its Terminal 4 expansion (and Phase II is coming), AA is planning Phase II of its terminal, and BA is planning to redevelop its terminal.
Understood but JFK is not as well positioned to handle any Int'l connections, It will alway be a big Int'l hub of sorts but may not be able to handle domestic connections becaus of the Int'l volumes. will be interesting to see what happens longer term

Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post

Source: News Content
Yes that is correct. By airport LAX is #1 for O&D passengers world wise. However, the stats posted are by metro area. When you include LAX, SNA, ONT, BUR, and LGB vs. all the NYC airports (JFK, LGA, EWR, and HPN), the NYC market is much busier for O&D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation