Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times

Advertisements

This is very interesting. Shows the true pecking order of how many people are actually visiting and flying out and into each city.

Three of the top 10 are from the Northeast alone.

1) New York: 245,750 passengers per day
2) Los Angeles: 184,296
3) Miami: 131,265
4) Chicago: 127,776
5) San Francisco: 120,382
6) Washington DC: 120,201
7) Las Vegas: 91,114
8) Orlando: 89,108
9) Dallas: 83,053
10) Boston: 74,834
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Very surprised Orlando and Vegas are so low actually. I would have expected them to be higher just because of the tourist volume...but then again they're small cities and therefore it could probably be assumed that 80% of that traffic is tourist traffic.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:35 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Top 15 are all very impressive in their own way with Orlando, Las Vegas, and Phoenix especially. Beyond 15 and with the notable exclusion of Honolulu and Salt Lake City (since they punch at or above their weight), the rest are all laggards for their size.
Below 15 most of those cities have much lower population than the top 15 so that explains it. The exception is Philadelphia but you have to understand that Newark and to a lesser extent JFK cannibalize alot of Philly's international traffic.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Very surprised Orlando and Vegas are so low actually. I would have expected them to be higher just because of the tourist volume...but then again they're small cities and therefore it could probably be assumed that 80% of that traffic is tourist traffic.
Compared to the rest of the top 10 Orlando and Vegas have much smaller metro numbers. Those two cities numbers are very impressive if you ask me. And yes, it is because it is mostly tourist coming in to visit Orlando. While places like LA or Miami have a large amount of tourist but also a large amount of people that live in the region that need to fly out and go home.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Thanks for posting this here. I too was surprised with Miami being ahead of Chicago. But I guess what puts Miami over Chicago is Miami being a bigger tourist destination and Miami having so much O/D traffic to Latin America and even places like the Bahamas and Cuba.
Digging into the numbers deep, Chicago has about 8.5 million international O&D passengers while Miami is pushing 16 million. Thats really what pushed Miami over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Below 15 most of those cities have much lower population than the top 15 so that explains it. The exception is Philadelphia but you have to understand that Newark and to a lesser extent JFK cannibalize alot of Philly's international traffic.
This is true. Philly bleeds like a sick pig to Newark and JFK. Currently, Philly's official international O&D is riding just over 2 million which is probably not the full market size. Other airports that bleed international traffic include DFW to Houston (though it seems to be coming to a close since DFW has gained more foreign flags), San Diego to Los Angeles, and Orlando to Miami. There is no metric to measure how much the bleed is, so its only speculation as to how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Compared to the rest of the top 10 Orlando and Vegas have much smaller metro numbers. Those two cities numbers are very impressive if you ask me. And yes, it is because it is mostly tourist coming in to visit Orlando. While places like LA or Miami have a large amount of tourist but also a large amount of people that live in the region that need to fly out and go home.
Vegas and Orlando are markets in their own class. They are almost strictly vacation traffic. Internationally, Vegas gets more O&D from Asia (especially the Phillipines) while Orlando gets a lot more from Latin America. South America-Orlando is constantly top 5 among all O&D's.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Some other observations:
-Atlanta's domestic numbers fell off of a cliff while the international numbers held steady YOY. Atlanta's domestic O&D numbers were pushing 26 million in 2010 and in 2012 they didnt even hit 19 million. I imagine Atlanta just had a bad year and will probably see an increase next year. Losses that big typically arent constant.
-Dallas had a large percentage increase of international O&D while it was flat on domestic O&D. This is probably due to Emirates and Qantas starting service and Korean and Aeromexico increasing service to the area. This stopped much of the bleed to Houston on the India/Middle East traffic.
-Houston and Seattle had huge increases of domestic O&D and bumps on international O&D as well.
-San Diego & Orlando had an increase of international O&D while a dip in domestic.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Digging into the numbers deep, Chicago has about 8.5 million international O&D passengers while Miami is pushing 16 million. Thats really what pushed Miami over the top.

This is true. Philly bleeds like a sick pig to Newark and JFK. Currently, Philly's official international O&D is riding just over 2 million which is probably not the full market size. Other airports that bleed international traffic include DFW to Houston (though it seems to be coming to a close since DFW has gained more foreign flags), San Diego to Los Angeles, and Orlando to Miami. There is no metric to measure how much the bleed is, so its only speculation as to how much.

Vegas and Orlando are markets in their own class. They are almost strictly vacation traffic. Internationally, Vegas gets more O&D from Asia (especially the Phillipines) while Orlando gets a lot more from Latin America. South America-Orlando is constantly top 5 among all O&D's.
EWR is very easy as an alternative to much of the area, especially because of the number of direct flight options

For London, Paris, Frankfurt, Dublin, Tel Aviv, Carribean, Rome, Venice etc. there are good directs, for other places a little longer drive offers a ton of directs. I use PHL more frequently for Int'l travel but alos have used EWR numerous times and JFK as well. There are many van services that offer very frequent servise to these airports which can be significantly shorter (and many times cheaper, my company will pay for an Amtrak ticket from Philly to EWR to use it actually) and easier than connecting.

EWR for example is an hour from most of Bucks and Burlington counties and not much further for places like Camden, Philadelphia County or Montgomery county

I know some folks that use BWI for certains flights too

I am curious what the new Ammerican/US merger will do for PHL

There is a new direct to Qatar and to Sao Paolo starting soon from PHL

Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
EWR is very easy as an alternative to much of the area, especially because of the number of direct flight options

For London, Paris, Frankfurt, Dublin, Tel Aviv, Carribean, Rome, Venice etc. there are good directs, for other places a little longer drive offers a ton of directs. I use PHL more frequently for Int'l travel but alos have used EWR numerous times and JFK as well. There are many van services that offer very frequent servise to these airports which can be significantly shorter (and many times cheaper, my company will pay for an Amtrak ticket from Philly to EWR to use it actually) and easier than connecting.

EWR for example is an hour from most of Bucks and Burlington counties and not much further for places like Camden, Philadelphia County or Montgomery county

I know some folks that use BWI for certains flights too

I am curious what the new Ammerican/US merger will do for PHL

There is a new direct to Qatar and to Sao Paolo starting soon from PHL
You are correct on the question of PHL-Europe. Philly doesnt bleed as much there, but they do bleed a lot of India/Middle East (or at least they seem to). The Qatar Airways flight will help that a lot. I do expect PHL's international O&D to increase somewhat with that flight.

However, youll be waiting on Sao Paulo for a while. The DOT didnt award US that route. They gave them Charlotte-Sao Paulo instead.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
You are correct on the question of PHL-Europe. Philly doesnt bleed as much there, but they do bleed a lot of India/Middle East (or at least they seem to). The Qatar Airways flight will help that a lot. I do expect PHL's international O&D to increase somewhat with that flight.

However, youll be waiting on Sao Paulo for a while. The DOT didnt award US that route. They gave them Charlotte-Sao Paulo instead.

I thought both were continuing (well the PHL will start but you very well know more than I don on this), CLT already exists

Will be interesting to see any post merger changes regardless. JFK cant grow much but we will see

http://www.phillytrib.com/businessar...ect-route.html

Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I thought both were continuing (well the PHL will start but you very well know more than I don on this), CLT already exists

Will be interesting to see any post merger changes regardless. JFK cant grow much but we will see

http://www.phillytrib.com/businessar...ect-route.html
The Charlotte-Sao Paulo flight is operating on leased slots from United that will expire. US Airways applied for both Charlotte and Philly to Sao Paulo, but because the slots they currently use are leased, the Charlotte and PHL-Sao Paulo flights are both technically for new slots. The US and Brazil dont have open skies, so everything is done by application and the DOT chooses the winners.

Sky Talk: DOT proposes giving Brazil routes to American, Delta and US Airways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation