Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Vietnam is a small and densely populated country wouldn't we know right away if this plane did go down?
I would think the same thing, but it leads me to believe it must have gone down somewhere in the ocean. I am currently working so I don't know the exact route it would have taken.

With all of the technology on airplanes today, it is a very bad sign if one goes missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:55 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Not necessarily, some parts of Vietnam are still very remote and sparsely populated.

Was this particular flight over land or over the South China Sea? The news reports say "over Vietnamese airspace" which seems to indicate that it could have gone into the water.

Would the plane's "black box" give it's location?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,181 times
In the worst case wouldn't there normally be some communication between the pilots and the airports about problems? Seems like if it would be unusual for it to lose contact so suddenly, but I'm no pilot either....

Hoping for the best.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Haha, no doubt. As a pilot, I can barely stand to watch the news coverage of aviation stories. Makes me doubt their credibility when they talk about matters that I am not intimately familiar with. And don't even get me started on politics.
Exactly. I can understand keeping the detail level fairly minimal as to not confuse those not familiar with aviation, but to leave out very pertinent information is poor reporting. Whether it was a 772ER or LR makes a huge difference in potential range and how long the aircraft could stay aloft; how long the plane has been missing for would let us know whether or not the aircraft could still be airborne at this particular moment in time; if there was weather in the area would let us know if that could be a factor in the incident. That is information the news networks have at their disposal, but neglect to put on the air. Instead, they rely on baseless speculation. Sometimes I feel they do it to sensationalize even the saddest of stories, which would be very low.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times
I just read about this in the news... very, very sad indeed I hate the fact that I'm not hopeful for a happy ending to this.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Not necessarily, some parts of Vietnam are still very remote and sparsely populated.

Was this particular flight over land or over the South China Sea? The news reports say "over Vietnamese airspace" which seems to indicate that it could have gone into the water.

The only group of water the flight crosses is the gulf of thailand.
Malaysia Airlines loses contact with jet carrying 239 people - CNN.com

Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 PM

395 posts, read 604,057 times
So the plane is missing but they are already just assuming everyone is dead?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The only group of water the flight crosses is the gulf of thailand.
Malaysia Airlines loses contact with jet carrying 239 people - CNN.com
Apparently the Vietnamese believe the plane crashed into the sea.
Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people - Newsday

Quote:
The Xinhua News Agency, citing a local Vietnamese media report, says a Vietnamese search and rescue official reported that the signals have been detected from the plane from about 220 kilometers (120 miles) southwest of Vietnam's southernmost coastal province of Ca Mau.
Sad, I was hoping for a crash landing on land where we at least have a possibility of survivors

Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 PM

21,148 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
If it is found it would.

Planes do have ELTs (Emergency Locator Transmitter) which give off a signal when exposed to salt water. I'm not sure how effective they are deep under water though or after a crash. They are intended to be used after ditching (controlled landing on the water).

The way planes are located (other than by eyewitnesses or pilots providing location) is by the last Air Traffic Control radar position.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:05 PM

497 posts, read 554,351 times
Quote:
Apparently the Vietnamese believe the plane crashed into the sea.
Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people - Newsday

Sad, I was hoping for a crash landing on land where we at least have a possibility of survivors
Bahia Bakari
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation