Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,659 times

Advertisements

Severe weather doesn't bring these aircraft down. I don't know why folks jump to weather first thing. The cruise is the safest portion, and the aircraft was at 32,000. They said that their was some weather in the vincinity, but nothing unusual, besides high level winds aloft were fairly light at the time from what I read. T-storms in this part of the world don't move as much like they do for example on the continental US with the massive squall lines that move along a weather front at like 50mph. These storms just sit there and grow, then they dump massive amounts of rain and dissipate. They are also generally fairly spread out, so it's not difficult for aircraft to go around, in between or even over some of the lower cloud tops at 32,000 - 35,000 feet and be able to stear well clear of the really bad stuff. This is only going to go "1" of "3" ways in my opinion.

1.) Mechanical issue
2.) Pilot error ( or both mechanical and pilot error )
3.) Something nefarious such as terrorism or pilot suicide etc..

If the crew made a "drastic and unusual" deviation in flight route and rapid decent ( I heard that on drudgereport ) than that means the crew may have been experiencing some type of mechanical issue and was trying to get the aircraft down below 10,000 and head for an alternate. it's hard to say at this point. Weather deviations are common, but this was a well traveled route and the crew would've been experienced with dealing with typical weather type issues that could arise on a route like this.

The issue with the "airspeed indicators" that brought Air France down has long been resolved. I feel this was mechanical/pilot error related or unfortunately something more nefarious. I personally would be VERY suprised if this came back as anything weather related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
AirAsia plane missing with 162 aboard
http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=27856490

Old 12-28-2014, 07:29 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
Pilot requested ascend to 38000 request was acknowledged but denied "due to traffic" according to ATC Indonesia.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,574,255 times

Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 AM

703 posts, read 870,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
The flight was mainly over the ocean.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:50 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times
Airlines have been flying these routes, in this part of the world for many decades. It seems very strange that all of a sudden there are 2 flights missing. Sort of like a Bermuda Triangle scenario. Whatever the reason and whatever happened. I hope this latest flight doesn't become, the mystery the Malaysia flight became. It must be complete torture for all the families.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Airlines have been flying these routes, in this part of the world for many decades. It seems very strange that all of a sudden there are 2 flights missing. Sort of like a Bermuda Triangle scenario. Whatever the reason and whatever happened. I hope this latest flight doesn't become, the mystery the Malaysia flight became. It must be complete torture for all the families.
It was for MH-370. You saw how ugly it became with the families fighting and screaming. That went way out of control, but something makes me want to think that they did for drama because they knew of the publicity.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,096,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
No doubt the families agony is unrequited for Malaysian Airlines and now this flight. Let us not forget that with all the flights going over Ukraine it was a Malaysian Airlines jet which was shot down. Coincidence would not be my first thought.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
No doubt the families agony is unrequited for Malaysian Airlines and now this flight. Let us not forget that with all the flights going over Ukraine it was a Malaysian Airlines jet which was shot down. Coincidence would not be my first thought.
This one was from Malaysia, but AirAsia, not Malaysian Airlines. With the facts we have right now, it was a likely coincidence until we have more evidence otherwise.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:12 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,732,248 times
Pitot tubes on the A-320 are known to have issues with formation of ice, if ice does form then it messes up the autopilot. This is similar to the 2009 Air France crash in the Atlantic. Coupled with pilot error I wouldn't be surprised if we have a crash here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation