Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:14 AM

786 posts, read 811,289 times

Advertisements

^^ Early electronic TV-sets are unstable for sure: but with patience or skill one can adjust one remarkably well. And I should know because our family owned a small electrical store in Liverpool, from which my uncle, who was an avid engine-tuner, would select a different set for our viewing each evening. And that served me well – in the early days of free-to-air satellite-TV. There was no end to the adjustments that could be made to our analogue receiver, which, when perfectly settled, could produce breathtaking sound or vision. But I think that there was an end of-sorts to British aeroplane-design that may have set-in even then

Old 03-10-2015, 07:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The British and German jets entered service at the same time. One worked properly and one never. There is a myth that the Germans were way ahead when the opposite is true.
I think myths tend to be believed by lay persons, general public-if aware at all and not by those who read on the subject. You are preaching to the choir at best or condescending at worse.

Based on your 45million man Indian Army hypothesis you frequently mention in the History forum when declaring the UK could have won WW2 alone.. I vote for the latter.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-10-2015 at 07:53 AM..

Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
The German jet program needs to be analyzed in comparison to piston engine aircraft of the day, other jet engine programs, german military needs, german materials availability, time constraints and actual military performance.

Easy to criticize from a lazy-boy chair decades later.
History, especially poor History channel documentaries portray the Germans as being well ahead and advanced. They were not. They were clearly behind.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
So you reference History Channel docus..... enough said.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Based on your 45million man Indian Army hypothesis
You must learn to count.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:26 AM

'Today, Ian Whittle, son of Frank Whittle, primary concern is to protect his father's memory from continued erosion. "It is now an accepted fact in America that my father did not invent the jet, but that he and von Ohain - who became an American citizen - co-invented it at the same time," he says. "Pretty soon, history will be rewritten to say that it was a German or American invention." Certainly, many engineering institutions now routinely describe von Ohain as one of the "inventors" of the jet. So would the Germans have flown that first jet [1939] if they hadn't pinched young Whittle's plans?

"Certainly not. It was Frank's invention and they just copied him," says one of the greatest test pilots in aviation history, Captain Eric Brown, late of the Fleet Air Arm. He should know. Not only has he flown more planes than anyone - 487 different types - but he was sent to Germany straight after the war to get hold of all the Nazis' aviation technology. "I interrogated von Ohain, who was very ambivalent about where he had got his ideas," says Capt Brown.

'But his sidekick was utterly straight-forward about it. He said that Whittle's patent had been in every technical library in Germany even before the war.

"I have absolutely no hesitation in saying that Frank Whittle was the real inventor of the jet engine and that he could have produced a jet fighter by 1937 if the Establishment had been on his side."'

Old 03-10-2015, 10:13 AM

786 posts, read 811,289 times
There you have it. The British establishment, surprisingly, usually as a facet of a Conservative-Party government, has, for the sake of often modest moneys, derailed some marvelous aeronautical developments, such as that of the Saunders-Roe SR─53 or ─177. That could have changed the world. And the US-government has caused some damage too – sometimes, by focusing too much funding onto a favoured manufacturer's pet-project, which may well have curtailed some really awesome ones

Saunders-Roe SR.177 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-10-2015, 10:24 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,067 times
Quote:
The British and German jets entered service at the same time. One worked properly and one never.
In terms of successful combat kills during WWII, what is the comparison between them?

Old 03-10-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
In terms of successful combat kills during WWII, what is the comparison between them?
You missed the point. BTW, Allied air power was so supreme it was deemed not to pit the Meteor in combat over Germany - for obvious reasons.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,067 times
Quote:
You missed the point.
Well, what was the comparison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation