Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:25 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Airline behavior is completely rational given the existing profit motive and the massive regulatory changes in the US airline industry over the past 40 years. They aren't a charity, and they aren't a public utility or service.
And they're pricks about making money. The rationale that you can do anything at all if it makes you a profit is the most appalling thing about the corporate world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
So how many hellish cavity searches have you endured in your lifetime of traveling?
Diversion from the topic? This means you think you're losing.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:40 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Diversion from the topic? This means you think you're losing.
Diversion? This was the specific example given in the OP.

Please explain how discussing a specific point from an opening post is a diversion.

I have no delusion that a message board discussion is some kind of a contest with winners and losers tallied at its conclusion.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
I agree.

That said, it's easy to play armchair quarterback on the sidelines, but it's far more difficult to actually do it in a market where the feds allow merger after merger and some of the competition is financed at least in part by foreign governments.

I remember people in rec.travel.air telling us all the time that they could do a better job. Right.

Let's play a game. If you ran an airline, if all of your competition was playing hardball in order to make a profit, and if your main expenses were things like fuel, personnel costs, and equipment ... what would you do differently?

How would you introduce a better service element into your operation? And how would you pay for it?

Disclaimer: I've been active in airline industry IT for over 25 years (including 10 years with a US major in Flight Ops, and 12 more with a multinational airline industry IT firm), and I admit personally have no clue how I could do a better job. I'm not an airline expert ... I'm a software developer ... but I do appreciate the largely hidden layers of complexity underlying a typical major airline operation.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:47 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,049 times
Of course every airline wants to make money. As any other company wants to do. With current fuel prices, they are doing quite well, but in general the airline business is not the most profitable business, given all the high fixed costs such as fuel, staff, leasing/depreciation on flight equipment, maintenance... and it is one of the most regulated business actually existing. You always get what you pay for: Expensive ticket: good service. Cheap ticket: cheap service. If you are willing to pay much, nowadays everything is possible. Just take a look at Etihad airlines residence suite or the first class lounges around the world.

Safety discussion is obsolete. The most dangerous part of every flight is the ride to the airport in your own car.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Diversion? This was the specific example given in the OP.

Please explain how discussing a specific point from an opening post is a diversion.

I have no delusion that a message board discussion is some kind of a contest with winners and losers tallied at its conclusion.
You're heading off in to a Government Bad dead-end alley.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I agree.

That said, it's easy to play armchair quarterback on the sidelines, but it's far more difficult to actually do it in a market where the feds allow merger after merger and some of the competition is financed at least in part by foreign governments.

I remember people in rec.travel.air telling us all the time that they could do a better job. Right.

Let's play a game. If you ran an airline, if all of your competition was playing hardball in order to make a profit, and if your main expenses were things like fuel, personnel costs, and equipment ... what would you do differently?

How would you introduce a better service element into your operation? And how would you pay for it?

Disclaimer: I've been active in airline industry IT for over 25 years (including 10 years with a US major in Flight Ops, and 12 more with a multinational airline industry IT firm), and I admit personally have no clue how I could do a better job. I'm not an airline expert ... I'm a software developer ... but I do appreciate the largely hidden layers of complexity underlying a typical major airline operation.
Dog-eat-dog is quite a business model.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
You're heading off in to a Government Bad dead-end alley.
You lost me there.

Let's just say I believe describing air travel as a hellish experience reeks of hyperbole. I know it's anecdotal, but that has not been my experience.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,282 times
Quote:
I suspect the OP has a side job as a Yahoo headline writer.

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get a list of 5 unbelievable hacks to make the airline experience less hellish!
Take yoga and gymnastics so you can fit in the 12 inch wide seats better.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Take yoga and gymnastics so you can fit in the 12 inch wide seats better.
Thanks for the caption to the slide for hack #1.

(Of course there's no such thing as a 12" wide airplane seat so there is that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation