Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:10 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times

Advertisements

Everything else in society is cheapened, mass produced and cost cutting with the singular goal of profit margin in mind so why should flying be any different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 03:22 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,030 times
Why did air travel go from a glamorous experience to nearly hellish?

Because the government got heavily involved. Like the Plague, everything changes.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:27 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
Actually..much less than positive reaction to air Travel is due to "Security" and many feel invaded and accused just in order to get on an aircraft..Then add onto that Costs being nickel and dimmed to death for everything...Costs of travel Go up..Services actually go down..as Meal's are now ala carte IF you prepay..then of course sense of fear that's being transmitted online minute by minute..that some terrorist will take yu down...

Meanwhile..Airline Corporate's/Investor's gain profits..actual customers pay thru their collective noses just to have the privilege to go somewhere on vacations..and PRAY they get there INTACT!!

I stopped travelling about 15 years ago...and do NOT plan to ever do it again..My passport will expire soon..only needed it to visit an American Social Security Office about 3 years ago..I have NO interest to visit nor travel ever again..Will enjoy my own environment where i happen to feel safe using common sense security ..like locking doors..or closing blinds..or keeping garage door closed/locked ..Other than that..Hey..Travelling nowadays is for the adventurous..Not for myself..BUT that's just me..I use to travel smaller airlines for working in the Northern regions within Canada for HC Contracts on Indian Reserves..That was enough for me..Now retired..

Old 07-21-2016, 03:37 PM

132 posts, read 153,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I hear about several airline crashes several times a year though.
What? There hasn't been a fatal crash with a US-based airline since February 2009. Worldwide, the accident rate has been trending downward since the 1960s.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:44 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nws2002 View Post
What? There hasn't been a fatal crash with a US-based airline since February 2009. Worldwide, the accident rate has been trending downward since the 1960s.
I'd rather go down with the plane wearing a suit in a big comfy seat holding a glass of fine brandy than suffer in a narrow seat while babies scream, kids kick, and the stewardess gives me a soulless death glare.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:52 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,519 times
I live in Hawaii. Flying to Asia is still a leisure. Flying to Mainland is a torture.

Even if you fly economy class to Asia on non-U.S. airlines, you are entitled to two free checked baggage. You still get free alcoholic drinks all you can drink, Haagen Daz ice cream served after meal, all the new movies on demand, young pretty stewardess whom you wish to be your girl friend to serve you, clean spotless bathroom even on the 10th hour of the flight, eat at least two meals in long haul, clean pillow & blanket & slipper & water bottle on your seat,......etc.

But all those stewardess on domestic airlines can be as old as your auntie. And all of them look like you owe them thousands of bucks. They rarely help you in loading your carry on into the overhead bin. No blanket, no pillow,...while the cabin temperature is freezing cold. Of course, no food, no snacks and some budget airlines don't even serve drinks. And by the 4th hour of flight, the bathroom is as filthy as any public bathroom you find in the inner city.

And of course, most average American passenger size is at least 20% bigger than the average Asian passenger size. If you are stuck in the middle seat between two 230-pound passengers, it is even worse than living through hell. And a lot of domestic airlines like AA or Virgin America don't allow you select seat unless you pay extra. Or they open the seat plan 24 hours before departure that you have to log on to their website right at that minute to grab a seat.

The worst part of the domestic airline is after they charge fee for checked baggage, every passenger tries to carry on as much hand carry as possible and the stewardess tries to squeeze as much in the overhead bin as possible. Every time they open the bin after landing, I constantly worry my head will get hit by a falling object.

It is no joke. I got hit once. But that was when I was on the Philippines Airline. But that was a 3rd world airline.

The most weird thing is I pay less when I travel to Asia than if I travel to Mainland at approximately same distance.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 07-21-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 04:03 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,519 times
The domestic airlines know they have lousy service. So how they try to compete is by cutting their prices. So if you fly by UA/AA from the East Coast to Asia, the fare is usually 20%-50% cheaper than JAL/KAL/CX.

In fact, you can fly UA to most Asian cities for $600+ even during summer time. But how much they charge for flying from East Coast to Hawaii? $900+.

They are subsidizing international flights by ripping off passengers who fly domestic.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Times have changed! You really can't compare the 1930's to the 2010's. Totally a different world.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:54 PM

430 posts, read 290,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Research the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978. Fares used to be set by the feds. After the Act, it's been a race to the bottom.

Recreational flyers complain about airlines not providing services, but they will switch carriers for a $5 fare difference in a heartbeat. That means ticket price is everything for those types of travelers, and service doesn't matter. Carriers like WN (Southwest) and others wouldn't have existed pre-deregulation in their current form.
This right here.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I hear about several airline crashes several times a year though. Also dealing with an angry chubby stewardess who grumbles under he breath when I ask her to
Get me water is more likely to
Happen.

Yes, but I imagine the stewardess has similar complaints about the angry chubby patrons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation