Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:53 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
What happened? Why did air travel go from a glamorous experience to nearly hellish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 04:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Airlines went for the Wally World Crowd and got what they asked for. So did we.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:49 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,741 times
Quote:
In the 1930s-1970s air travel was a glamorous experience. You had plenty of leg room, free alcoholic drinks, attractive stewardesses in pleasing uniforms, hassle free boarding experiences, deluxe luxurious accommodations, steak and lobster meals, and comfortable seating.
Since the 80s the industry has consisted of sardine can-like seating, hellish boarding procedures with cavity searches, free peanuts if you're lucky, and frumpy airline staff who look and act like they escaped from a prison chain gang.
It makes me sick.
Gotta love the elitists complaining about the rest of the world that earns less than them suddenly gaining access to what used to be an experience strictly for the rich and privileged.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:33 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,275,129 times
All you have to do is buy a first class ticket

Old 07-22-2016, 06:36 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
Yes, air travel is hellish.

You get get to do something that humans have dreamed of doing for thousands of years: fly!

I'm a pretty pessimistic person. I've never understood the negative attitudes about flying though.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:10 AM

973 posts, read 914,819 times
Quote:
In the 1930s-1970s air travel was a glamorous experience. You had plenty of leg room, free alcoholic drinks, attractive stewardesses in pleasing uniforms, hassle free boarding experiences, deluxe luxurious accommodations, steak and lobster meals, and comfortable seating.
Since the 80s the industry has consisted of sardine can-like seating, hellish boarding procedures with cavity searches, free peanuts if you're lucky, and frumpy airline staff who look and act like they escaped from a prison chain gang.
It makes me sick.
Simple. $$$$$$

Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
Quote:
It makes me sick.
It started back in the late 70's with "Peoples Express" discount airlines. Travelers who could only afford Greyhound buses now suddenly could afford a cattle like experience "flying" People Express.
Then all the airlines jumped into the cheap seats game and now this is what we are left with.
Smaller seats, less leg room, no food service and bus people on planes.

You get what you pay for.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:51 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Research the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978. Fares used to be set by the feds. After the Act, it's been a race to the bottom.

Recreational flyers complain about airlines not providing services, but they will switch carriers for a $5 fare difference in a heartbeat. That means ticket price is everything for those types of travelers, and service doesn't matter. Carriers like WN (Southwest) and others wouldn't have existed pre-deregulation in their current form.
This is exactly the point I was going to make.

I'd also add that the majors have two very distinct tiers of service. Their elite frequent flyer business travelers receive a very different level of service than the unwashed masses flying to the mouse ears theme park. It's totally rational behavior on the part of the airlines. The unwashed masses only care about cheapest fare and will suffer through just about anything. The business traveler paying the expensive short notice fares will pick somebody else if you stuff them in a 29" seat pitch middle seat in the back of the bus. I had some years as US Airways Chairman's Preferred doing 100K miles with them and a bunch of years doing 50K+ as a United Premier Exec. Even the Southwest A-List Preferred makes their flights more bearable with early boarding and the VIP security line.

At the moment, I have no status on any of the airlines. It's awful. I tend to fly Southwest because with TSA Pre and $15 for priority boarding, I at least know I'm not going to get stuck with a middle seat and an hour TSA security line is unlikely. When I have to do a transcontinental or transatlantic business flight, I fling whatever money it takes at out of my own pocket to make sure I get an aisle seat.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:03 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
You're missing the whole point. Lower prices and lower-class fliers became the norm after deregulation, and jamming more people into a plane and offering fewer niceties wasn't so much an effort to make more money as it was to offer cheaper tickets.

Before deregulation, the high percentage of fliers were for business travel and personal travel of the upper middle-class. With plane travel coming down in price to that of busses, we got the flipflop, teeshirt crowd with their screaming, food-throwing brats.

We got what we wanted -- Walmart Airlines.

You got that right!

Last edited by Jeo123; 07-22-2016 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Tag Fix

Old 07-22-2016, 08:10 AM

597 posts, read 666,627 times
I have to agree with a lot of posters. Flying is awful for the most part if you're not in business class or first class. People complain a lot, but they'd complain more if they couldn't find a cheap fare (though at this point the airlines could make things slightly nicer for everyone and still offer the same fares). I, of course, want to find a good deal, but don't necessarily go for the absolute cheapest fare. I'll never do Delta's basic economy. And, I'll pay a little extra, but not a lot, for a considerably "better" (for me) seat.

I fly 4-6 times per year. As much as I dread it, things usually go fairly smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation