Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:24 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,052,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
The delta heavy crash due to wind shear as they came in to land in unstable summer stormy weather. I believe this was one of the first flights where wind shear was determined to be the likely cause. Can't recall plane but think it night have been a large non Boeing plane. I believe it was partially videoed as it crashed near a major freeway.
My father lost several close co-workers on that flight and normally would have been traveling with them. Not that time.

It was an L-1011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 09:20 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,520,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
One that stands out is TWA flight 800
I knew someone who had an executive position with TWA, over the area which leased the engines.
He told me they would never admit fault.

That plane was shot down by the navy accidently during tests they were doing at the time the plane took off.

I know about Lockerby. Can someone please remind us of the other situations.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Considering the flying junk heaps I've flown, I even named one "The Flying Death Trap" after it tried to kill me a couple of times. You can't worry about mechanical failure, stuff is going to work or it's not.
Well... That attitude will work for GA, not so much a premier airline operating a modern jet.

And it wasn't a cascade of errors or subtle & complex system breaking, either. I suspect people at large may deal with the fact that electronics or hydraulics systems are hard to design for all contingencies, but an engine essentially tearing itself off the plane - that's harder to excuse. The general public can relate to the idea that a piece of metal snaps under load, and that's something that they - rightfully - expect to NOT happen.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:44 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
Tenerife
totally stupid and preventable and killed the most people.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 AM

311 posts, read 478,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well... That attitude will work for GA, not so much a premier airline operating a modern jet.

And it wasn't a cascade of errors or subtle & complex system breaking, either. I suspect people at large may deal with the fact that electronics or hydraulics systems are hard to design for all contingencies, but an engine essentially tearing itself off the plane - that's harder to excuse. The general public can relate to the idea that a piece of metal snaps under load, and that's something that they - rightfully - expect to NOT happen.
Well, keep in mind, that the piece of metal that snapped under load was abused pretty bad during maintenance. Not as if the pylon itself was under-designed...

And I would argue that accident WAS a cascade of errors:

-Pylon is abused during maintenance (admittedly, the design of the attachment made this easy to do)
-Pylon finally fails
-Engine departing aircraft severs hydraulic lines holding slats extended
-No locking pins in place to hold slats extended in event of hydraulic failure (design issue)
-Flying pilot not alerted to development of asymmetric stall, and only knows of loss of power on one engine, follows engine-out procedure
-Aircraft rolls and crashes

Old 01-11-2017, 11:09 AM

2,520 posts, read 2,075,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
To me the most traumatic airline crash happened in the 1950's in Colorado. Somebody put a bomb on an airliner and it exploded over Colorado killing all on board. IIRC the bomber (Graham?) was caught and executed. I can't remember all the details but I believe he did it to collect insurance on a relative. I was in elementary school at the time and all of my classmates and I were very shook up about it.

I saw something like this on TV. One of the crime shows. The young man had put the bomb in his mother's or aunt;s suitcase, unbeknownst to her.
That's what stands out to me.
And of course it exploded, and it kind of took investigators awhile to figure it out.
Very unusual for the times.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:03 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo_Urns View Post
Well, keep in mind, that the piece of metal that snapped under load was abused pretty bad during maintenance. Not as if the pylon itself was under-designed...
No argument there. (I think it was actually the bracket in the wing that failed, the pylon was fine.)

Quote:
And I would argue that accident WAS a cascade of errors:

-Pylon is abused during maintenance (admittedly, the design of the attachment made this easy to do)
-Pylon finally fails
-Engine departing aircraft severs hydraulic lines holding slats extended
-No locking pins in place to hold slats extended in event of hydraulic failure (design issue)
-Flying pilot not alerted to development of asymmetric stall, and only knows of loss of power on one engine, follows engine-out procedure
-Aircraft rolls and crashes
Not sure that meets my definition of "cascade" - I feel there must be a fairly high number of errors or mishaps involved. On your list, seems to me that #1 (not doing maintenance as per spec) and #4 (slats failing when hydraulic pressure is lost) counts. Everything else is either physics doing its thing or the pilot following procedure.

But I suspect it's not a term with a strict definition, so - minor quibble.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:14 PM

324 posts, read 387,915 times
This doesn't really fit into the horrific category like most of the others above, but the shoot-down of Franis Gary Powers by the Russians is in a category all it own.

walessp

Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 PM

509 posts, read 555,027 times
What a depressing thread.

Don't know the name, but the plane that flew upside down and crashed into the pacific(around California?) in about 1998 would be it for me. To this day I have an extreme fear of flying because of that crash.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:33 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
according to you? Not counting the 9/11 attacks. Just planes going about their destination and crashing.
MH 17?
Tenerife disaster?
Lockerbie?
1977 Chicago crash?
None of them shocked the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation