Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 12:00 PM

24,302 posts, read 13,147,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
As for the F-35, couldn't a cheaper aircraft carry the same munitions?
A cheaper aircraft could carry the same munitions, and more of them. That would be the A-10 or F-15E, but both of those stand out like dog's balls in a non-permissive battlefield. The F-35's low-observability means it can perform more missions with an ever-increasing threat than the 4th Gen aircraft.

When I flew the A-10 I never knew how large it appeared on radar; I knew it wasn't particularly stealthy, but hiding from MiG-29s and MiG-31s was a matter of flying down in the weeds. A couple years after I left the A-10 I transitioned to the F-16, and after seeing nearly every A-10 or AV-8 trying to hide at low altitude, I realized that hiding down low wasn't always going to work, since the pulse-doppler radar mostly eliminated the advantage offered by ground clutter against older radars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 02:36 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Noticed suggestions in older articles that Sweden might buy (what is now designated as) the T7A. The Swedes have had the same problem as the U.S. Air Force-old trainers.
Isn't it partly a SAAB project? The Swedes have always liked to roll their own.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,705 times
Yes, SAAB has partnered with Boeing to produce the T7A.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:26 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,381,170 times
The A10 is purpose built for the primary role of close in ground support, which is often below 1000 ft - the primary threat is direct line of fire (guys with guns) not radar controlled missiles in that environment when over its support location. The A10s has a better gun for the purpose (30mm Gatling gun), better visibility of the ground, better low level maneuverability, more ability to loiter and better armor - the F35 has better sensors, stealth, speed and can be used on other missions.

While the F35 is clearly much more capable in a heavy contested environment and more versatile, the A10 is better at the single purpose role of ground support. The issue with the A10 is getting it to and from the support site if it is contested air space. The tactics used are different for each. Until there are more F35s, keeping the A10s in use is a low cost solution since it is much cheaper to fly - until then the A10 should be used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation