Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 05:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Hog is still going to be snarling for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
The Air Force also confirmed Tuesday that it plans to maintain the majority of its A-10 Warthogs in coming years despite past considerations of divesting the entire fleet.
An Air Force official said the A-10 fleet was being kept indefinitely, but in the future, some A-10 aircraft could be retired as other aircraft become operational.

Air Force gives new life to A-10 Warthog aircraft - CNNPolitics.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 05:59 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
So I guess with Fairchild being divested and sold and whatever...they can't just build a few more of them in the meantime?

Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,147,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
So I guess with Fairchild being divested and sold and whatever...they can't just build a few more of them in the meantime?
The last A-10, 82-665, was delivered to the 74th TFS (my old squadron) in March 1984. The production line has been long since shut down, restarting it is impossible. Boeing now has the contract and re-winged the Hogs a few years back when they upgraded from A to C models. (I flew 665 as a 2nd lieutenant when it had less than 100 hours... that new airplane smell.)

Old 05-24-2017, 06:45 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The last A-10 was delivered in 1984. A third of a century ago. The lines are gone. All the specific equipment designed and manufactured just to make A-10s is gone. the infrastructure itself would have to be built from the ground up. The unit cost for 'a few more' would be astronomical.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:58 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
I guess this makes sense, since the Hog works well against the kinds of enemies we fight now, and none of these enemies have any sort of air defense or air power of their own. It smashes up truck convoys pretty well, and they don't have much capability to hit back.

Actually, most of the people we are actually fighting are pretty primitive, and a Sopwith Camel would probably be a perfectly usable ground attack airplane against them.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:15 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I guess this makes sense, since the Hog works well against the kinds of enemies we fight now, and none of these enemies have any sort of air defense or air power of their own. It smashes up truck convoys pretty well, and they don't have much capability to hit back.

Actually, most of the people we are actually fighting are pretty primitive, and a Sopwith Camel would probably be a perfectly usable ground attack airplane against them.
A Camel may be slightly too vulnerable :-) But AC-130s make very good ground attack planes

Old 05-24-2017, 07:34 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
That's good news for Tucson and Davis–Monthan Air Force Base!

Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
The A 10 is certainly one of the best ground support planes ever to leave the runway. Like the old AD1 Spads (they called them Sandys in Viet Nam) carrying more than it's own weight in ordnance and being able to put that ordnance in the enemy's lap. My Dad was on a carrier in Korea that operated AD1s. There are some great pictures in his cruise books of them. There's even old pics of that same carrier operating F8F Bearcats. That old AD1...what a workhorse.

The A 10 carries on the tradition of that old bird well. Bout nothing better in our stable for an attack aircraft of that type. Oh yes, the AC 130s are certainly quite effective as well. Against enemies like we've been up against everything we have has had to adapt to ground support missions. The Navy still has to keep birds up in fighter/interceptor trim being as the Russians threat to our sea power is mostly airborne. And the AF wings in Alaska still have some action in that role with the Russians playing games probing our air defense in the Bering strait. Still we're seeing F 16s and F 15s in attack roles a lot. The F 18 was designed with a dual role in mind and the Marines all fly the F/A 18. What are they into now on the F 18 D and E variants?

I really can't see the Air Force scrapping the A 10 any time soon. It's just flat to useful.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:54 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,705 times
Aren't there still DC-3s flying somewhere in the world?

I'm imagining A-10s flying years from now, held together with duct tape.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:36 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Aren't there still DC-3s flying somewhere in the world?
I've seen converted ones down in Antarctica when I worked there, they were Basler BT-67. Kenn Borek Air out of Canada is the contractor the United States Antarctic Program (USAP) uses during the summer season, supposedly they have 9 in their fleet, not sure how many they fly down from Calgary each year. Never got to fly in one, just a measly C-17 from Christchurch to the Ice, but I had coworkers that got to fly in Baslers and they call them the Indiana Jones plane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation