Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:29 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times

Advertisements

I don't know all the details but it isn't adding up or settling well with me based on what has been reported so far.

I really hope it was some form of multiple levels of mechanical failure and munitions or fuel exploding. I hate to think it was something more sinister and deliberate.

But airplanes don't just randomly explode at 20,000 feet with no warning.

One story I read there were I think 9 MARSOC operators on the flight including all their munitions. That may play a role in what caused this tragedy.

There were reports of 1 or 2 opened up but empty parachutes found as well. This doesn't add up either.

To further my above point, Just 2 days ago an army aviation guy got arrested by the FBI for pledging allegiance to ISIS and attempting to provide them material support and expressing a desire to kill a lot of people. I truly pray that nothing like this occurs here.

RIP to all the brave souls lost doing their job, and God bless their surviving family members.

I'm definitely following this story waiting for more information so I don't really want to speculate too much until more details are released.

Last edited by drinkthekoolaid; 07-12-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 08:35 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,048 times
42 years of flying and only a few accidents says this is a safe bird.......flown all over the world...

Old 07-12-2017, 08:39 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I keep telling people, '130s are widow-makers!
Only the A model.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:45 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It was a T-model<>The aircraft hit in a fairly flat attitude, and a witness stated it was spinning and smoking. That could point to some sort of structural failure, but I'll leave that for the mishap investigation board to determine and then we will know, as Paul Harvey used to say, the rest of the story.
Pictures I've seen so far seem to show a fairly big piece of wing and fuselage. Oddly no Mayday call?
FAA and USMC means full report in a year.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:09 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Those are super safe acft and can fly forever with few if ever maintenance problems. The Herky-bird. Was on one from Iwakuni to the PI. LOOOOONG droning flight. Also took one from Memphis to Gulfport.

I was just at the NY Air Show and saw this very acft (USMC KC-130T) as a static display. I noticed this model didn't have the engine mod or else it would have 5 blades instead of 4.

We had an F4 that crashed when a flare failed to eject and went off inside the fuselage, severing a hydraulic line which caused total failure of flight controls. It was barrel rolling. The aircrew ejected - thankfully, especially because I was in the ejection seat shop.

The chutes were probably being grabbed hastily and were in different stages of usage but there wasn't enough time. Most cargo acft (all that I know of) have enough chutes for the crew but don't carry chutes for passengers.

Just some musings from an old aircraft maintainer. F4/C141/C5

Old 07-12-2017, 09:10 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Pictures I've seen so far seem to show a fairly big piece of wing and fuselage. Oddly no Mayday call?
FAA and USMC means full report in a year.
Throw this in the mix:

"that battalion is assigned to Central Command, which conducts operations in the Middle East, South Asia and Central Asia, including Afghanistan and Iraq."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/u...ane-crash.html

It's interesting that in the article they speculate about everything except foul play. Given the political climate, I would not expect to ever know the truth.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:59 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
I keep telling people, '130s are widow-makers!
That's a ridiculous assertion. Most C-130 crashes can be attributed to pilot error. It also flies in a much more hostile environment that most other aircraft. I have over 5000 hours as a C-130 loadmaster and I never worried about the plane failing us.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
It's not one thing, it's a chain of things that likely went wrong. Give a thousand monkeys typewriters for a thousand years and they will type Shakespeare's and all that jazz.

Was it the A model by chance? Not sure if those have all been retired yet (retired to firebombing duty that is).
A models have been out of the inventory for about 40 or 50 years. B models were around in the early 90's, but that's when they were phased out. The last time I saw an E model was in Afghanistan in 2006, and they were 44 years old at the time. The KC-130 that crashed was built in 1993.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
42 years of flying and only a few accidents says this is a safe bird.......flown all over the world...
The C-130 first flew in August 1954. Next month will mark the 63rd anniversary of that flight.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I was just at the NY Air Show and saw this very acft (USMC KC-130T) as a static display. I noticed this model didn't have the engine mod or else it would have 5 blades instead of 4.
The six bladed prop is not a modification. It was designed for the J model, which is the current production model, which uses a Rolls Royce engine, as opposed to the Allison T56-A-15. I'm not aware of any plans to retrofit earlier models with the six blade or the Rolls Royce engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation