Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 05:58 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,710,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
100% irrelevant. This was a "not critical" situation. Nobody was going to die. The kids got jet fuel dumped on them, because the pilot was too lazy to spend 30 minutes dumping the fuel over the ocean, as any "normal" pilot would have done, and as the ATC clearly expected they would do.
Wait --

You actually think that the dump occurred because a pilot who thought he was embarking on a 13-hour flight couldn't handle adding another 30 minutes to what ending up being a 56-minute flight?

That makes sense to you?

Old 01-15-2020, 06:45 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,373,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
100% irrelevant. This was a "not critical" situation. Nobody was going to die. The kids got jet fuel dumped on them, because the pilot was too lazy to spend 30 minutes dumping the fuel over the ocean.
You don't know that. You have no idea what was going on in the cockpit or what was happening with the engine. None of us (on this forum) do.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:13 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
I am just glad nobody died.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:23 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Awww. Did they get wet?
Do you think it's funny, having fuel dumped on school children? Would it be even more funny if they swallowed some of it, or got some of it in their eyes? Is it funny that about 60 people required medical attention? And if there had been open flame where the fuel came down, that would have just been hilarious, right?

Unless and until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume that the captain had a compelling reason to release the fuel where he did, instead of over the ocean or at a higher altitude. But that does not negate the seriousness of having jet fuel come down in a school yard.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:32 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
How do you know the overweight load wouldn't cause the plane to skid off the runway and burn?

The Captain dumped the fuel for a reason.

I'm glad you were in the cockpit with the Captain and First Officer so you could point out that my comment was completely irrelevant.
How do you know the overweight load wouldn't cause the plane to skid off the runway and burn?
Simple, because they can land overweight with a full load of fuel. It's a well known fact. Now answer my question. If landing overweight was really such a problem, why didn't the pilot take the ATC's advice and hold to dump the fuel over the ocean?

Quote:
“No one is going to dump fuel where these guys did it over populated areas and schools. It’s a pretty outrageous thing,” said Ross Aimer, CEO of Aero Consulting Experts and a retired United Airlines pilot. “They should have gone over the ocean or landed heavyweight.”
Aviation experts puzzled after airliner dumps fuel over city - The Washington Post

Old 01-15-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
So, you win the most hyperbolic title of the day.

Just curious, are you an airline pilot? Have you been fully briefed on the situation in the cockpit?
Would you have prefered I used the original headline of the story "Elementary school kids doused"? I think my title was a very accurate description. Maybe you would have preferred I titled it "Delta Boeing 777 flies over the rainbow to shower LA school children with butterflies, and unicorns". Would that have been good enough for you?

Old 01-15-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Ban traffic from populated areas?????? You realize where airports are located, right?
Dont want to live near an airport's flight path, dont buy or rent near one. Its not like they are building new airports every 20 years...
It might be kinda hard to find a place not in the flight path when the airport is right in the middle of the city, don't you think? Maybe the airports should be located away from where people live. Like Paris Vatry Airport - 131 miles from Paris. London Oxford Airport, 61 miles from London. Tokyo Narita Airport, 37 miles from Tokyo, or even Denver International Airport, 25 miles from Denver.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Wait --

You actually think that the dump occurred because a pilot who thought he was embarking on a 13-hour flight couldn't handle adding another 30 minutes to what ending up being a 56-minute flight?

That makes sense to you?
Yes, unless you can give me a better explanation.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Banning air traffic from populated areas pretty much kills all air traffic, including passenger flights going to any destination at all. To propose this after one fuel dumping episode is a colossal overreaction.
It doesn't seem to have killed air traffic in Paris, Oslo, Munich, Frankfurt, London, Stockholm, Barcelona, Barcelona. Paris, Dusseldorf, Nottingham, London, Tokyo, Verona, Glasgow, Denver, Detroit, or Atlanta.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Do you think it's funny, having fuel dumped on school children? Would it be even more funny if they swallowed some of it, or got some of it in their eyes? Is it funny that about 60 people required medical attention? And if there had been open flame where the fuel came down, that would have just been hilarious, right?

Unless and until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume that the captain had a compelling reason to release the fuel where he did, instead of over the ocean or at a higher altitude. But that does not negate the seriousness of having jet fuel come down in a school yard.
Flash point of Jet A is not a concern on the playground / city, and many of us (farm kids) got a daily dose of fuel oil, and 16 hrs sucking on the exhaust pipe in our face. (Which could possible discount the millions of NYC school kids dying from intermittent School bus exhaust) another subject.

I will suspect the cockpit crew failed to turn off the drop (other things on their mind)
That was quite a LONG flight path over land instead of sea (more fuel for next wildfire) ?

Likely pilot error (again), but much going on and probably anxious moments in the command seat. (Tho a simple single engine failure shouldn't have been a huge crisis). As mentioned we don't know all the details, and may not for months. There down safe. The kids are 'wash n wear', but you can bet some over anxious parents are gonna listen to the greedy attorneys who have not got enough 'Traffic / commercial vehicle Accident claims' from their LA billboards this month and they will drive up the lawsuits. That will drive up the cost for airline and the price of OUR tickets.

They should have just thrown the kids in the pool. (clothes and all). Fun and games at LA schools.
Kids will get-over-it... Parents... likely not. I had a frantic CA parent call me at Master Gardeners crying because his DW (pregnant) found 1/2 a worm in her bite of apple. My response... "Never eat 1/2 a worm, might as well eat the whole thing". I trust her and the child survived. I got removed from phone duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation