Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 08:46 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times

Advertisements

rest in peace

Old 01-26-2020, 08:46 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Do you think the recording that's been posted goes all the way to the time of the crash? Wouldn't we have heard an oh sh*t or something, he obviously had a couple seconds to climb. I was wondering if they edited that part out, like we didn't hear ATC trying to contact them. I just cannot imagine their final moments...horrifying.

It does.. There was no response in the last couple of minutes from the aircraft.

Guy who posted stated that it was possibly because they were too low to the ground..

Reports from eyewitnesses say the aircraft sounded 'distressed' before the crash. If that were the case, you'd expect a mayday of some sort.. But, see above.

9 people were on the thing? wow.. I'm not familiar with the chopper, but.. Is that normal for that chopper?

Old 01-26-2020, 08:52 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
9 people were on the thing? wow.. I'm not familiar with the chopper, but.. Is that normal for that chopper?
According to this, the Sikorsky S-76 seats 14 people.

https://fox61.com/2020/01/26/sikorsk...e-medical-use/

Old 01-26-2020, 08:54 PM

13,249 posts, read 7,295,079 times
Quote:
Do you think the recording that's been posted goes all the way to the time of the crash? Wouldn't we have heard an oh sh*t or something, he obviously had a couple seconds to climb. I was wondering if they edited that part out, like we didn't hear ATC trying to contact them. I just cannot imagine their final moments...horrifying.
I heard a few other recordings where SOCAL ATC is calling for N72EX a few times no response. Pilots are trained to follow these rules

1. Aviate
2. Navigate
3. Communicate

So most crashes end with no radio traffic pilots are too busy trying to Aviate ( control the aircraft ) to worry about talking to ATC. ATC radio traffic is congested in those areas ATC will be talking to several aircraft at once so have to listen for awhile when there is a break to say something to ATC. Sometimes you hear screaming into the radio I have heard a few of those it's rare. Want to hear a few check out the accident case studies play list on AOPA YouTube channel they really do a great job on these. You can tell when get down to the last few minutes before their demise dramatic music starts to play.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...59953860B62145

Old 01-26-2020, 10:56 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I heard a few other recordings where SOCAL ATC is calling for N72EX a few times no response. Pilots are trained to follow these rules

1. Aviate
2. Navigate
3. Communicate

So most crashes end with no radio traffic pilots are too busy trying to Aviate ( control the aircraft ) to worry about talking to ATC. ATC radio traffic is congested in those areas ATC will be talking to several aircraft at once so have to listen for awhile when there is a break to say something to ATC. Sometimes you hear screaming into the radio I have heard a few of those it's rare. Want to hear a few check out the accident case studies play list on AOPA YouTube channel they really do a great job on these. You can tell when get down to the last few minutes before their demise dramatic music starts to play.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...59953860B62145
Wow. I watched 3 or 4 of those case studies, they are amazing. In every one that I heard, the pilots insisted on flying despite the weather. And sounds like that will be the case with Kobe's crash as well. I will be interested to see who was piloting the chopper.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:12 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,726 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0pQ...em-uploademail ATC recording.....pilot not Kobe was out scud running along freeways in very marginal conditions. One report of a pilot on the ground in that area just before crash said visby was 1/4 mile. Initial impressions are 2EX got caught in the fog, zoomed up and then hit terrain in a dive at 160 knots. Being a twin turbine machine losing both engines won't happen, but they do drive through one gearbox. Have to wait for more info but looks like another case of bad pilot judgment.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:50 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It does.. There was no response in the last couple of minutes from the aircraft.

Guy who posted stated that it was possibly because they were too low to the ground..

Reports from eyewitnesses say the aircraft sounded 'distressed' before the crash. If that were the case, you'd expect a mayday of some sort.. But, see above.

I pray that all the victims were unconscious before they hit the ground, or dead as soon as they did.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:55 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
VFR in IFR conditions. Someone should have known better. Sad, and silly, loss.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:06 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
I will be interested to see who was piloting the chopper.
Ara Zobayan was the pilot of the helicopter that crashed in Calabasas, California on January 26 killing Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna. Zobayan and six other people were killed in the crash.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/01/ara-zobayan/

Old 01-27-2020, 08:28 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
We just have to wait for the NTSB won't be much for awhile. I had at first thought Bryant was a pilot, but now sounding more like this company is doing the flying. If he is using a company to hire pilots sometimes those places can be revolving door as they hire pilots all the time building hours only have to meet the requirements. That doesn't take into account a pilot who has a poor record of bad decision making. Such as turning around when weather gets bad and declaring to ATC your in IMC need help. So many options yet pressing on is what sadly happens way too much when VFR rated pilots fly into IMC.

That LA times link above something that stands out Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Josh Rubenstein said the department’s Air Support Division grounded its helicopters Sunday morning because of foggy conditions and didn’t fly until the afternoon

If LAPD grounded their choppers kind of tells you the risk Bryant's pilot was taking.

Pilot might not have wanted to fly but Kobe did.........so they took off. Rich guy in the back can override the pilots decisions sometimes. Bahamas flight 6 months ago was a similar case (AG 139 crashed with 6 aboard at 2am).

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N72EX
Look at the flight history, he had 15 flights last week alone (some 3-4 flights a day).

50 second mark Kobe mentions he DOES NOT fly the chopper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW1fBawKbeU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation