Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 05:40 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I don't know the extent to which Kobe actually was a pilot or he had some training haven't found the answers. I did find where he said he would fly it to games which made him play better, but....
Everything I've read states that Bryant was a passenger when he flew.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:53 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,435 times
Last radios from Kobe Bryant's helicopter to tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaIt...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-27-2020, 05:55 PM

13,249 posts, read 7,295,079 times
Good video of what it might have looked like from helicopter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNCvSCKoyo

Old 01-27-2020, 06:41 PM

Kurt Deetz was Kobe's pilot in the past. Something he says at 8:00 that the program at Island Express was a VFR program only. I suspect insurance could have required to be VFR flight only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJNh-GDYN8c

Last edited by kell490; 01-27-2020 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 08:02 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Last radios from Kobe Bryant's helicopter to tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaIt...ature=youtu.be

All that was meant was he was too low for radar to pick him up for flight following, it was not a warning about terrain.
Flight following is a service that pilots can request, all the controller will do is advise them of traffic issues.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:23 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Kobe Bryant’s final flight, minute by minute:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/liveb...h-in-calabasas

Old 01-27-2020, 09:07 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
In listening to the recording, plus the case studies on the Air Safety Institute, I have a newfound amazement at the job that air traffic controllers do. They are communicating with multiple flights at the same time, talking with other towers, watching radar, and remaining calm throughout. I am amazed at the instantaneous handoffs between towers -- as soon as they say they're contacting the next tower, that ATC comes on the line. BTW, do the pilots hear better audio than what we hear on the recordings? Everything is all static and they talk so fast, I can barely make anything out.

That interview was interesting but painful, she just kept asking the same questions over and over. Even after he had said the pilot wasn't flying IFR multiple times, she asked if the pilot was flying IFR. BTW, that pilot sounded like he has a speech impediment, I couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying. Can't imagine him communicating with ATC.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:30 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,978 times
we hear what you hear, we don't have special radios that makes the audio sound better. One thing that does help is most pilots wear headsets, and some are noise cancelling that reduce the background noise .

Old 01-27-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
In listening to the recording, plus the case studies on the Air Safety Institute, I have a newfound amazement at the job that air traffic controllers do. They are communicating with multiple flights at the same time, talking with other towers, watching radar, and remaining calm throughout. I am amazed at the instantaneous handoffs between towers -- as soon as they say they're contacting the next tower, that ATC comes on the line. BTW, do the pilots hear better audio than what we hear on the recordings? Everything is all static and they talk so fast, I can barely make anything out.

That interview was interesting but painful, she just kept asking the same questions over and over. Even after he had said the pilot wasn't flying IFR multiple times, she asked if the pilot was flying IFR. BTW, that pilot sounded like he has a speech impediment, I couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying. Can't imagine him communicating with ATC.
Those audio recordings are edited so your not hearing all the other chatter on the AOPA ASI YouTube channel. They get their recordings from the FAA or NTSB I'm sure. The idea of these videos to to hit home and get pilots to think about their decisions they make. It's one thing to kill yourself in an aircraft, but it's selfish to do it for a stupid reason all the family leave behind to suffer for years.

The ET reporter keeps trying to press the pilot to get his opinion he won't give it. The prior reports that Kobe was a pilot, or had some interest in flying sounds to be false. Kurt says he sat in the back behind a curtain and was just a passenger.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
The eyewitnesses seem to say the noise from the airborne helicopter was distressed and quite abnormal with sputtering, clanging, and quickly losing altitude. Tough to say since they could not clearly see it since it appeared to be turning and would have been very quick at that speed from low altitude to impact.

It is quite possible to have additive problems and little time / space for recourse. Hovering / slowing or gaining altitude might not have been an option if they had powersystem or mechanical problems.

sudden climb before sudden descent, something might have broken.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/liveb...nute-by-minute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation