Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 02:01 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I've eaten peanuts all my life and never had a reaction. People are different.
Yeah. That was exactly my point.

If you missed this part of my comment: you (she) probably had an individual allergic reaction.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-25-2022 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-25-2022, 06:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This comment didn't age well. Haha.

I flew to Florida in May, and masks were no longer required. Hardly anyone was wearing them, so I didn't either. I'm fine, but my friend (who flew separately from Seattle) came home with COVID. She's immune-compromised, though, and probably did wear the mask on her flight. Guess it's all kind of a crapshoot at this point, eh?
I think we've reached a point in this pandemic whereby those who are immunocompromised have to take responsibility for their own life. It may not be the best idea for example to fly if you are so vulnerable. Not really about flying on a plane maskless, but all the constant exposure through the whole process from leaving home to what happens at the destination. Probably it'll involve interacting with more people than usual etc.

I'm not judging someone who is immunocompromised for travelling. All power to them! That said, they are making the decision for themselves and others shouldn't be judged for not religiously wearing masks for them at this point, now that mass vaccinations have occurred.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:19 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I've heard Lufthansa and Air Canada do require them. Not sure if this is true.

After mask mandate was mostly dropped within EU airlines, there was a big spike in sick employees.
A similar scenario did not play out in the US, however. At least, no such thing was reported in the news.
Both these airlines are still requiring masks because I was on one and my kids on another. Canada also required masks at their airport.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Both these airlines are still requiring masks because I was on one and my kids on another. Canada also required masks at their airport.
Yeah it is due to the Federal Government mandating mask use in areas of Federal jurisdiction- Airlines, Airports, Trains and Train Stations regulated by the feds.

Bit off topic but a riot nonetheless..

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...kless-on-train

"Despite heading one of the only Western governments to still mandate face masks on rail transport, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was conspicuously maskless as he shook hands during a Monday photo op aboard an Okanagan, B.C., steam train.

The prime minister was not breaking any laws; the Kettle Valley Steam Railway is a heritage railroad not bound by federal transport regulations. However, the visit led to cries of hypocrisy nonetheless as COVID presumably can spread just as easily on tourist trains as aboard VIA Rail trains."

I mean.... What can I say

Old 07-26-2022, 08:02 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
Can confirm Air Canada still requires masks, as do airports in Canada.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:29 AM

1,133 posts, read 612,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah it is due to the Federal Government mandating mask use in areas of Federal jurisdiction- Airlines, Airports, Trains and Train Stations regulated by the feds.

Bit off topic but a riot nonetheless..

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...kless-on-train

"Despite heading one of the only Western governments to still mandate face masks on rail transport, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was conspicuously maskless as he shook hands during a Monday photo op aboard an Okanagan, B.C., steam train.

The prime minister was not breaking any laws; the Kettle Valley Steam Railway is a heritage railroad not bound by federal transport regulations. However, the visit led to cries of hypocrisy nonetheless as COVID presumably can spread just as easily on tourist trains as aboard VIA Rail trains."

I mean.... What can I say
As my friend says..... "Trudeau is as smart as a bag of rocks".

Old 07-26-2022, 10:32 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Thanks. Coincidence or not, Canada has been doing well on the Covid front lately. They haven't had the big surges seen in Europe and US.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:24 PM

1,133 posts, read 612,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Thanks. Coincidence or not, Canada has been doing well on the Covid front lately. They haven't had the big surges seen in Europe and US.
For the most part, Canadians don't have a major problem with masks. Sure we have our malcontents and conspiracy nuts marching the streets too... but they are the minority.

I'm tired of ppl saying that masks don't guarantee protection or spreading. Nothing is 100%, but just like wearing a seat belt doesn't guarantee survival, it's better than zero percent.

I HATE wearing masks too, but it's a very small ask to be part of the solution to lowering the spread and risk. A few hrs wearing a good quality mask (this is the key, poor masks are uncomfortable and harder to breath) won't destroy you.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
As my friend says..... "Trudeau is as smart as a bag of rocks".
I'm a liberal and trust me - i've had enough of this guy....!!!!

Old 07-31-2022, 03:46 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
For the most part, Canadians don't have a major problem with masks. Sure we have our malcontents and conspiracy nuts marching the streets too... but they are the minority.

I'm tired of ppl saying that masks don't guarantee protection or spreading. Nothing is 100%, but just like wearing a seat belt doesn't guarantee survival, it's better than zero percent.

I HATE wearing masks too, but it's a very small ask to be part of the solution to lowering the spread and risk. A few hrs wearing a good quality mask (this is the key, poor masks are uncomfortable and harder to breath) won't destroy you.
You are someone that believes in logical thinking and rational decision making. Not everyone is like that. Personally, I am a believer in letting the DATA help decide about what precautions you will take, like mask wearing.

Here in my state, I use the regional hospitalizations data to decide when to start wearing a mask again. (Case data is flawed, since it is surely under-reported given the home testing).

Right now in Ohio hospitalized patients with Covid have increased a bit from from their minimum back in April, but they are still 5X lower than the peak back in January. Once that ratio gets less attractive, say when we are 2X lower than that peak, I plan to go back to wearing a mask in public. Of course I'm fully vaxxed and boosted, and that's the main reason why hospitalizations remain so low.

I've always practiced common sense social distancing even before Covid, so that's not a problem. But on an aircraft that is impossible. Have not flown during Covid but plan to in the fall and I will probably wear a mask unless the transmission rate is really low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation