Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 01:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Covid is most easily spread by aerosols through respiratory tract.

Few, if any cases are spread by ingestion (There are a lot of nasty chemicals on that route).

15+ minutes exposure is usually necessary.

True but your mouth is often open when eating or drinking, some more than others. Talking is worse.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:12 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I like this idea. Careful wearing of an N-95 yourself probably provides better protection than everyone around you improperly wearing a mishmash of paper and cloth masks.

Maybe everyone who wants to go maskless can pay surcharge at the gate, or at time of ticket purchase. The funds pay for N-95's provided free of charge to all other passengers who want them.

The only problem is that N-95's need to be "fitted" to work right all the time. However, if you keep from moving around too much even a standard "cup" N-95 will filter correctly as long as you keep your chin down. At least, that's the only time in my fittings (OSHA requirement) when mine leaked.
Within reason, I would absolutely pay a charge for whatever reason, if it got me out of wearing a ridiculous mask for hours on a plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkvelvet87 View Post
Awesome if it does happen no masks on planes for March 18th. *happy dance*

Too many people brainwashed wearing masks everywhere.
You are completely right. As evidenced by people who STILL wear a mask while driving alone in their own car...

Old 02-09-2022, 02:14 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
No way. I think here, it will be a while longer than March 18. The local government has not hinted when the coronavirus will end. The vaccines must work. If the vaccines don't work, we may be in this pandemic a little while longer. The only vaccines they have yet is the ones they came out with first in America. Other countries have their own vaccines.
Do you mean when Covid RESTRICTIONS will end?

Because it's extremely clear that the Biden administration has absolutely zero idea when Covid will end - it was supposed to be by last June...

Old 02-09-2022, 02:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Within reason, I would absolutely pay a charge for whatever reason, if it got me out of wearing a ridiculous mask for hours on a plane.

You are completely right. As evidenced by people who STILL wear a mask while driving alone in their own car...
My longest flights are only 18 hrs.
Most of my daily connections / routing is ~12 hrs from entering airport to flying, transferring, and exiting airport.
That's nothing, and while not pleasant, it is not too much to ask to protect others. Some medical professionals and IC (Clean room) factory workers and scientists and engineers / technicians wear masks all day, every day for ~40 yrs. Wearing during flights and airports is a quite minor time out of my life. Far less hassle to me, than me killing a bunch of people because I'm an asymptomatic super spreader. (happens)

Wearing a mask while driving alone?

Great idea if:
  1. You are a driver who will host other passengers within 4-6 hr duration, private or commercial
  2. It's not your car... Borrowed, repair person, thief, delivering car to a different site or user
  3. Taking your car to a mechanic or detailer who will enter that space within 4-6hrs
  4. You are in and out of public venues (better to not touch / de-mask between venues)
  5. You are headed home and don't have disinfection materials.
  6. You have a health condition benefiting yourself or others by wearing a mask.

Flying with a mask?... minimal effort required (for the benefit of thousands of others you may spread diseases to each day).

Since I travel a lot... I build up pretty good immunities, so I'm quite safe. But the health and safety of others far exceeds the value to self. Some kids really wouldn't handle dead parents very well. I've BTDT, so not an issue for me.

I find a lot of the masking drama is all about kids / schools / identity social... there are some really fragile people out there, so do what you can to care for (about) them.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:54 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Time for the safety theater to go.
You can eat and drink all you want maskless, and that's "safe"?
It's all good for people to hang out at airport bars/restaurants before or in between flights maskless?
If you are truly worried, you probably should not be going out in public.
I am not “worried”. I simply feel that masks are a good idea in such cramped quarters. Zero downside. All good.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:34 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,378 times
Quote:
Time for the safety theater to go.
You can eat and drink all you want maskless, and that's "safe"?
It's all good for people to hang out at airport bars/restaurants before or in between flights maskless?
If you are truly worried, you probably should not be going out in public.
So if we can't reduce the risk to absolute zero in all situations, we shouldn't try to reduce risk at all?

Old 02-09-2022, 04:02 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
True but your mouth is often open when eating or drinking, some more than others. Talking is worse.
Plus people still breath while they eat/drink, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I am not “worried”. I simply feel that masks are a good idea in such cramped quarters. Zero downside. All good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
So if we can't reduce the risk to absolute zero in all situations, we shouldn't try to reduce risk at all?
After 2 years of this, the risk is up to the individual, as it was in the past. You and others are free to continue wearing masks, and I fully encourage the idea of people masking if they actually feel sick; just don't insist that everyone else does so permanently.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:04 PM

815 posts, read 979,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My longest flights are only 18 hrs.
Most of my daily connections / routing is ~12 hrs from entering airport to flying, transferring, and exiting airport.
That's nothing, and while not pleasant, it is not too much to ask to protect others. Some medical professionals and IC (Clean room) factory workers and scientists and engineers / technicians wear masks all day, every day for ~40 yrs. Wearing during flights and airports is a quite minor time out of my life. Far less hassle to me, than me killing a bunch of people because I'm an asymptomatic super spreader. (happens)

Wearing a mask while driving alone?

Great idea if:
  1. You are a driver who will host other passengers within 4-6 hr duration, private or commercial
  2. It's not your car... Borrowed, repair person, thief, delivering car to a different site or user
  3. Taking your car to a mechanic or detailer who will enter that space within 4-6hrs
  4. You are in and out of public venues (better to not touch / de-mask between venues)
  5. You are headed home and don't have disinfection materials.
  6. You have a health condition benefiting yourself or others by wearing a mask.

Flying with a mask?... minimal effort required (for the benefit of thousands of others you may spread diseases to each day).

Since I travel a lot... I build up pretty good immunities, so I'm quite safe. But the health and safety of others far exceeds the value to self. Some kids really wouldn't handle dead parents very well. I've BTDT, so not an issue for me.

I find a lot of the masking drama is all about kids / schools / identity social... there are some really fragile people out there, so do what you can to care for (about) them.
Thank you so much for listing some of the many reasons that a person might be observed driving alone in their car and wearing a mask. I am so tired of hearing anti-maskers talk about this. I truly do not understand why it bothers them so much

Old 02-09-2022, 05:03 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
Thank you so much for listing some of the many reasons that a person might be observed driving alone in their car and wearing a mask. I am so tired of hearing anti-maskers talk about this. I truly do not understand why it bothers them so much
Nor do I. It’s really mind boggling.

Old 02-09-2022, 05:52 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,378 times
Quote:
Plus people still breath while they eat/drink, of course.

After 2 years of this, the risk is up to the individual, as it was in the past. You and others are free to continue wearing masks, and I fully encourage the idea of people masking if they actually feel sick; just don't insist that everyone else does so permanently.
The thing that's been so insidious about this particular virus is that you can have zero symptoms on your own, but still be a Typhoid Mary to others.

But we live in a country of instant gratification, complete impatience, and complete disregard for anyone else's wellbeing. "I got mine!"

And the virus will continue to kill people until the rate of infection falls below one person infected per one person infecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation