Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 01:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Weird, all the science I've read says that KN95 and N95 masks DO protect the wearer. When did the "follow the science" crowd become the "ignore the science" crowd?
Science?
Listening to CDC?

What part of science is missing?

Viral spread is from micro particles of droplets spread from anyone who exhales.

Do you exhale?
You never exhale, talk, breath or sing indoors or at public places, I trust.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:41 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,697,686 times
Quote:
Hell, I'd gladly pay tax dollars to give N95s to those who need them if it lets the rest of us breathe freely again.
I like this idea. Careful wearing of an N-95 yourself probably provides better protection than everyone around you improperly wearing a mishmash of paper and cloth masks.

Maybe everyone who wants to go maskless can pay surcharge at the gate, or at time of ticket purchase. The funds pay for N-95's provided free of charge to all other passengers who want them.

The only problem is that N-95's need to be "fitted" to work right all the time. However, if you keep from moving around too much even a standard "cup" N-95 will filter correctly as long as you keep your chin down. At least, that's the only time in my fittings (OSHA requirement) when mine leaked.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,686,741 times
The Canadian Women’s hockey won 6-1 last night vs Russia. They wore masks the entire game. Quit yer whining.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:50 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Science?
Listening to CDC?

What part of science is missing?

Viral spread is from micro particles of droplets spread from anyone who exhales.

Do you exhale?
You never exhale, talk, breath or sing indoors or at public places, I trust.
You seem to have missed your original post where you indicated that masks don't protect the wearer; the science disagrees with you.

I love exhaling. I do it frequently. Many times per day in fact. And if someone doesn't want to inhale what I'm exhaling, they are welcome to wear an N95, just like they've been allowed to do since before all this began. And science would agree that this would protect them from my microdroplets.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:05 PM

230 posts, read 165,042 times
I was being fairly general in my earlier post. I'm not an expert on any of this but as far as I know the facts are fairly straight forward. My mask (N95, KN94) mostly keeps me from infecting others if I am positive. Since it is likely that, if infected, I would be positive for some period of time prior to knowing that I am infected I should wear a mask to protect others.

If my mask is also a properly fitted N95 (or likely KN94 but I haven't seen a specific study on those) it also protects me to some extent. Due to the fitting aspects this is probably less dependable unless the person involved is very careful. Even a non-well fitted mask or a person who has been moving around and thus has somewhat broken the seal probably has some benefit so I should wear a (good) mask to protect me.

In other words masks are generally good!

Old 02-08-2022, 03:11 PM

230 posts, read 165,042 times
Quote:
You seem to have missed your original post where you indicated that masks don't protect the wearer; the science disagrees with you.
... And science would agree that this would protect them from my microdroplets.
I believe that you are twisting the science. Yes, if they wear a good mask well it can protect them from your exhaled microdroplets. If you wear a good mask it can also protect them from your exhaled microdroplets.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:01 PM

35 posts, read 28,862 times
Awesome if it does happen no masks on planes for March 18th. *happy dance*

Too many people brainwashed wearing masks everywhere.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:48 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
I know StealthRabbit said it well but it deserve repeating. Masks protect other people not the person wearing them!
Depends on what kind of mask. I switched to N95 masks last July. Those protect me.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Any mask worn as a defensive measure is truly of minimal benefit <10%.

The Mask benefit for micro viral spread is to offensively STOP the SPEW from launching leagues of violating droplets. (Every non-mask wearer).

For the non maskers, There is always a z-shield ) gravitational entrapment of their spittle.

I've been Asia based for over 30 yrs, so masking is quite normal (and beneficial).

I double mask while indoors and on planes. I prefer a KF-94.

It's the least I can do for those vulnerable (which is plenty in the obese, obstinate, ill informed, and ignorant USA. Sad we've had to kill 932,443 of our own to prove our freedumbs. Covid is but a minimal warmup event. (As it has been in developed counties who've killed <50 citizens / m. USA proudly goes to the grave unnecessarily killing ~3000/ m of their own.). Our enemies are watching and salivating. This will be an easy kill.

Masks are nearly useless as a defensive Covid tool after the cats out of the bag. (March 2020). But any and every tool helps such a careless and self centered population, who had all the information, talent, resources to 'save' the grief, expense, lost productivity, revenue, votes and contributions of millions of it's fellow citizens.

Life in the big city.

Sad.

Several "he boys" (and girls) are wearing their ridiculously ineffective gators, bandanas, non- fitted masks on my current flight. Their point is simple. "I'm a fool, I care nothing about others". Ok, we all know that. Just get out of this public space.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:39 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,947,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I like this idea. Careful wearing of an N-95 yourself probably provides better protection than everyone around you improperly wearing a mishmash of paper and cloth masks.

Maybe everyone who wants to go maskless can pay surcharge at the gate, or at time of ticket purchase. The funds pay for N-95's provided free of charge to all other passengers who want them.

The only problem is that N-95's need to be "fitted" to work right all the time. However, if you keep from moving around too much even a standard "cup" N-95 will filter correctly as long as you keep your chin down. At least, that's the only time in my fittings (OSHA requirement) when mine leaked.
Are you actually giving politicians new tax ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.