Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2022, 07:41 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are someone that believes in logical thinking and rational decision making. Not everyone is like that. Personally, I am a believer in letting the DATA help decide about what precautions you will take, like mask wearing.

Here in my state, I use the regional hospitalizations data to decide when to start wearing a mask again. (Case data is flawed, since it is surely under-reported given the home testing).

Right now in Ohio hospitalized patients with Covid have increased a bit from from their minimum back in April, but they are still 5X lower than the peak back in January. Once that ratio gets less attractive, say when we are 2X lower than that peak, I plan to go back to wearing a mask in public. Of course I'm fully vaxxed and boosted, and that's the main reason why hospitalizations remain so low.

I've always practiced common sense social distancing even before Covid, so that's not a problem. But on an aircraft that is impossible. Have not flown during Covid but plan to in the fall and I will probably wear a mask unless the transmission rate is really low.
Sadly, America is full of people who really don't give a damn about others. They sing a one note symphony constantly of "me, me, me".

IMO, the mask mandate should never have been lifted on airliners and public transport. Masking does a lot of good.....when people wear masks.

Last edited by markg91359; 08-04-2022 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-04-2022, 07:58 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
FYI, I've read all the posts in this thread. I was responding to your comment "I think we've reached a point in this pandemic whereby those who are immunocompromised have to take responsibility for their own life." And I stand by what I said earlier...the immunocompromised have been taking that responsibility since the beginning of the pandemic.
Would you fly and expose yourself to the process?

Old 08-04-2022, 08:15 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Would you fly and expose yourself to the process?

No, especially since the planes are now full of the unmasked. Nor have I gone anywhere except medical appts and the grocery store since this pandemic started. I have, however, had my medical care compromised by irresponsible, selfish, non-immunocompromised people overwhelming medical facilities. Your concept of who's irresponsible and who's not during this pandemic is mind-boggling. As I don't wish to derail this thread any further, this is my last post on this topic.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:24 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times
IMO, the mask mandate should never have been lifted on airliners and public transport.
IMO this is part of the problem. In this case - my "opinion" is just that - a subjective comment on what you said.

In your case, though - your "opinion" is less than meaningless. It might be harmful. There is data that either shows - or does not show - that masks on planes made any difference. There is no room - I mean ZERO - for "opinions" about it, yours, mine, or anyone else's. There is just the data - and that's it.

Since NO DATA ANYWHERE exists showing that planes were ever a main vector of transmission - and it can be shown, using 4th grade math, that mainly, folks are probably safer on the plane than on the ground (None of which is my "opinion" but facts of math and data) - then the ongoing "fuss" over airplane masks is just nonsense. Stop spreading this stuff.

I am not "anti-" mask or covid or whatever - I really am not. But I support what the data supports - and I strongly oppose viewpoints which contradict the data. You are (all) entitled to your viewpoint - and in nearly all other circumstances, your viewpoint (valid or not) is just another data point, having no real effect.

But with COVID - it's different. Ya never know who will read your "opinion" as fact, then spread those facts to someone else -and so on - and now we have 50% of a nation that thinks they are vaccine experts. It's downright harmful in some cases.

Masks - mainly - are to stop the ALREADY SICK person from spreading it to you. They (may) do a reduced amount to prevent you from catching it. But the main way to keep from catching it is - don't be near someone who has it.

Based on the cases, USA, and the number of flights and passengers - most planes statistically have ZERO contagious people on them. So - officially - masks on most planes are useless. Doing nothing.

For those planes WITH a sick person on them - would that person (Unmasked) - give it to more people in 2 hours on a plane - or in two hours on the ground? Lots of factors. Did they go to a school gymnasium or crowded restaurant? Are they sitting next to someone who ALREADY has it on the plane? Do they wear their mask at the theater? Is the person on the plane vaccinated? And so on.

The point is - it's not possible at the moment to show that masks on a plane make a difference in the big scheme of things. It may be that a contagious person spreads it to more people on the ground than in the air.

So - masks on planes? No data to support it (science) - logic that says it's, at best, The Same as The Ground (science) - and the active cases - most planes have no sick people on them (science). My opinion has not entered the conversation.

Neither should yours. But that's just my opinion. ;D

Old 08-04-2022, 08:26 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
No, especially since the planes are now full of the unmasked. Nor have I gone anywhere except medical appts and the grocery store since this pandemic started. I have, however, had my medical care compromised by irresponsible, selfish, non-immunocompromised people overwhelming medical facilities. Your concept of who's irresponsible and who's not during this pandemic is mind-boggling. As I don't wish to derail this thread any further, this is my last post on this topic.
Well I think your focus on me specifically and in the context of what I was writing isn't warranted. I was really referring to individuals who are in a compromised state, flying and exposing themselves to the process. You seem to take more personal responsibility for your own health than the example earlier cited. I actually agree with you regarding individuals and lack of personally responsibility for society as a whole, by not getting vaccinated but that is another thread agreed but your comments are well noted and accepted. That all said, if you want to create a thread on the topic i'll be happy to engage in it.

If I upset you personally, that was not my intent but I do apologize as it seems I did upset you.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-04-2022 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-05-2022, 01:17 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
As long as the airline runs its planes, they have a right to mandate wearing masks, even if the government says there is no need for it...
No airline will do this to them because they will lose a lot of business. See what happened after so many governments lifted the masks on planes last spring? Air travel exploded and has far more demand than one could have imagined.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:24 PM

1,126 posts, read 609,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
No airline will do this to them because they will lose a lot of business. See what happened after so many governments lifted the masks on planes last spring? Air travel exploded and has far more demand than one could have imagined.
The explosion in air travel had nothing to do with removing the masking requirement.

It had to do with much lower restrictions on the testing of Covid and the vaccination mandate being dropped.

And plus the newer strains of Covid was consistently milder and of course it's Spring, so Covid numbers generally dropped.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Sadly, America is full of people who really don't give a damn about others. They sing a one note symphony constantly of "me, me, me".

IMO, the mask mandate should never have been lifted on airliners and public transport. Masking does a lot of good.....when people wear masks.
Nobody can stop you from keep wearing it. And it's not only America. Look at most of Europe - same story. People want to live their lives after 2.5 years of misery. The demand for air travel shows this.

Old 08-05-2022, 03:03 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Nobody can stop you from keep wearing it. And it's not only America. Look at most of Europe - same story. People want to live their lives after 2.5 years of misery. The demand for air travel shows this.
They can live it and wear a mask both during the limited time spent on a plane flying.

Old 08-05-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
They can live it and wear a mask both during the limited time spent on a plane flying.
That is your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation