Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 07:24 AM

14,460 posts, read 20,637,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I don't know much about commercial planes, but how does one go into a nearly-vertical nosedive like that by accident? Does this vertical type dive happen much (of planes that have crashed)? I know this one wasn't a MAX plane, but could it have been a similar type of failure that would cause a mid-air vertical dive?
Alaska Air crashed in the Pacific top down but they reported issues 30 minutes before.
TWA exploded in mid air and Air France also went down but the pilots tried to get control of the plane. As you think about the crashes where there is zero chance of survivors, the investigators of this crash have to have pilot suicide on their short list or some other related cause. I guess we should hope it's not pilot suicide or it could happen on any flight. At least a mechanical cause could get repairs or changes in maintenance that would make all planes safer.

I did a calculation using a calculator from Google. 30,000 feet in two minute would be over 500 miles per hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 07:31 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,702,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Pitiful. Just pitiful.

Must you drag your sociopolitical grievances into every utterly unrelated topic?

(apparently, yes, you must... )
Which part of my comment was sociopolitical?

Old 03-22-2022, 07:38 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Well, just to throw a rock into it, remember that there have been incidents of suicide that didn't involve the pilots.

I "like" the suggestion of shifting cargo for that is a decent possibility as well. Weird but possible. So many different possibles until we know, just like that one of "What does Pull Up mean?".

Old 03-22-2022, 07:55 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Not a pilot here. Question? Could this have been caused by a cargo area load shift?

Thank you
As this thread is becoming notorious for, this "could" have been caused by a a thousand different things. In this case, the plane was in level flight before suddenly descending. Cargo load shifts are usually associated with takeoffs, not level flight, IIRC.

The plane also "could" have been struck by a meteor in flight. But that's extremely unlikely also.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:01 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,702,692 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmNy4T0cB9M

Old 03-22-2022, 08:32 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Not a pilot here. Question? Could this have been caused by a cargo area load shift?

Thank you
Possible, but rather unlikely. Load shifts happen when a plane is not flying straight and level, but instead is tilted at a relatively steep angle. In other words, take off is when such a thing is most likely to happen. Also, this was a passenger plane. True, cargo would likely be carried as well; but not nearly as much as one would find on a cargo plane, and probably not enough to destabilize a plane even if the load shifted. Still, it's not impossible, and I would expect that the investigators will consider this possibility as they work to narrow the potential causes.

This is what happens when a load shift on a cargo plane occurs:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...shifting-cargo

Old 03-22-2022, 11:49 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,163,137 times
Load shifts happen at takeoff.......usually happens on jumbo cargo ops when something breaks loose and moves to the tail. Virtually impossible on these single aisle passenger birds for one simple reason..........the 737-Airbus 319/320 MD80 and others all have cargo nets in the pits to restrict cargo movement. Not gonna happen.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:01 PM

18,720 posts, read 7,601,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
These days, can't rule out vaccine adverse effects in the pilots. If that's the case, it could never be proven.
Ridiculous.

Some people are allergic (or whatever) to aspirin. It can have bad effects on them.

Before we fly on an airliner, should we expect to get a report on whether the pilot(s) had recently taken an aspirin? Just in case he's one of the very few who have bad reactions to it?

And cough drops, Tylenol, suntan lotion......

Complete nonsense.

Old 03-22-2022, 01:29 PM

84 posts, read 58,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They grounded all planes of that type, so they suspect something other than pilot error...
It is China!

There will be no pilot error.

I have flown a lot of China Eastern, and I have never been very comfortable. i.e. safe feeling,

So far so good (for me), but a lot of delays and hassles and nearly every time an unexpected change of aircraft or crew.

This crash could be anything catastrophic or intentional at this point, intentional will not be discussed or ever considered by investigators. (And is very unlikely anyway, especially in China)

Old 03-22-2022, 01:45 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
At some point in it's descent it gained 1200 ft in altitude.
There was a similar crash with Air Alaska flight 261 off the California coast in 2000. The jackscrew controlling the rear stabilizer broke due to neglected maintenance. Plane was 8 yrs old. That was a MD 80 type though.
That put the plane into an uncontrolled pitch downward.
When I was a kid, I loved flying.

I lived in Seattle when that crash happened, and because people were continuing on to Seattle on that flight, the news talked about it non stop. That crash and the reason for it that was preventable - made me distrust every last person in the process.

Back to topic:

Quote:
Data captured by Flightradar24 showed the plane cruising at 8,900 metres (29,200 feet) at around 2.20pm local time when it suddenly began descending. After regaining some altitude briefly at around 2,000 metres, the plane then continued to dive, descending at almost 9,450 metres per minute in the last few seconds before it crashed.
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/arti...mpaign=3171336

It was hard to see the plane in the video, clearly, so I have no idea if it was inverted, but what is said above also makes me think 'suicide' again, as a possibility.

Plane descends, whoever was flying doing it intentionally, other crew try to take over or talk the pilot down, regain some altitude, then pilot decides, 'Nah, I'm doing this', and flies it like a missile into the ground.

Could be mechanical failure, as well. It's just that they keep saying that they've never seen this happen, or some say it would be very rare...

Maybe it was a terrorist, who knows.

On YouTube and here, people have mentioned that the passengers would have been passed out, so they wouldn't have died in complete and total terror - which is the only comforting thing here. And that's not that comforting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation