Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:11 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
I thought I had heard everything, but are you seriously blaming this poor guy for being attacked and killed? I don't know (or think that it matters) how expensive his phone was and he was walking at 11:30 pm, which in my neighborhood finds many people out and about. You can't be serious.
I am not blaming him. I'm sorry he's dead. I think the two who did this should be locked up forever - none of this "suspended sentance" b.s. I hate violence and think these two cowards are the dregs of society.

But are you serious? It's called being street-smart. You don't walk around flaunting something that costs a lot of money unless you want someone to try to take it from you. Not in Baltimore or anywhere else. Additionally, you don't talk on a cell phone with someone 2000 miles away because you're nervous. You can't pay attention to what's going on around you - like if someone is sneaking up - if you're blabbing away on a cell phone.

Maybe people are out and about at 11:30 in your neighborhood but not on that stretch of St. Paul. It's desolate at that hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:16 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
The reason why there has been unbelievable coverage of this story is because it's a rarity. This was a good man murdered for no reason.

Could it happen anywhere? Yes. I am reminded by a recent trip I took to Chicago for a combo wedding/business trip. The reception lasted late (around 11 pm) and I decided I would just walk back to my hotel. (Reception: River North; Hotel: Loop near train station). I literally had 20 people at the wedding telling me not to walk that route (about 8 blocks) and volunteering to drive me to the hotel. I had no concerns about walking until after these people consistently told me not to do it. So, I took the offer. Woe and behold, the next morning I found out someone was stabbed at a 7-11 about two blocks from my hotel. And yes, closer to home, there have been people hurt and robbed in our suburban areas also.

Moral: I wouldn't walk in any city in this country after 9 or 10 including and even moreso, Baltimore.

The citizens in Charles Village are in an uproar and should be. This could have been prevented if the judge did his/her job. Hopefully, there will be the necessary rethinking of our "revolving door of justice in Maryland"

Leave it to bawlmer to bring up this unfortunate incident.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:18 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,461 times
While its a tragedy that man got kill walking to Charles Village, that doesnt automatically mean that everybody walking in from penn station is going to get killed. Unfortunately in this world, people get killed, kidnapped, or raped everywhere. That being said, I think its easiest to have the light rail drop you off right in front of camden yards.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:47 PM

775 posts, read 1,784,190 times
HandsUpThumbsDown:"But are you serious? It's called being street-smart. You don't walk around flaunting something that costs a lot of money unless you want someone to try to take it from you. Not in Baltimore or anywhere else. Additionally, you don't talk on a cell phone with someone 2000 miles away because you're nervous. You can't pay attention to what's going on around you - like if someone is sneaking up - if you're blabbing away on a cell phone."

Pretty harsh, dude. IMO

Old 07-29-2010, 01:08 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
And your conclusion is this wouldn't have happened if only he had walked south. I guess we add Charles Village to the ever growing list of dangerous places.
The OP asked about walking in a different area. Not about the city which has a lot of different areas. These areas are quite a bit different.

It's almost like someone asking about Glenelg in Howard County then you say something about Columbia in Howard County.

So using this guys death for your fear mongering makes me sick. It's a tragedy that shouldn't have happened.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM

775 posts, read 1,784,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
The OP asked about walking in a different area. Not about the city which has a lot of different areas. These areas are quite a bit different.

It's almost like someone asking about Glenelg in Howard County then you say something about Columbia in Howard County.

So using this guys death for your fear mongering makes me sick. It's a tragedy that shouldn't have happened.
Ah not exactly. Both concern walking from Penn Station.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,844 times
Light Rail or Bus is better...ALOT BETTER..And SAFER.

Light Rail runs every 10-15 minutes or so. (On a good day).

Its a walk, that I wouldn't take a chance on.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 PM

The best advice on this thread was to take the free circulator which runs from the station to downtown. However, if it is the day and it's not 100 degrees a walk is perfectly fine; in fact quite enjoyable.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:29 PM

By the way, I see the judge that let the scum-ball off was appointed by Ehrlich when he was governor. Nice job Bob!

Judge Under Fire For Handling Of Slaying Suspect - Baltimore, Maryland News Story - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/news/24441708/detail.html - broken link)

Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
By the way, I see the judge that let the scum-ball off was appointed by Ehrlich when he was governor. Nice job Bob!

Judge Under Fire For Handling Of Slaying Suspect - Baltimore, Maryland News Story - WBAL Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/news/24441708/detail.html - broken link)
Can't be! It's all MOM's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore