Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,274 times

Advertisements

Crime and Police response to it in Baltimore: I've lived at three addresses in 20+ years in Baltimore-every one was burgled at least once. At my house in Fell's Point I arrived home from work two days post-robbery to find that the crime lab had actually broken in to my back bedroom and was dusting the windows for fingerprints. Only once was anyone ever arrested for these robberies, and that was months later when it turned out that a "semi-private (i.e.,for profit)" early release facility six blocks away was actually being used as a stash house for stolen property.
I've had two cars stolen-zero cooperation from the detectives in charge, I eventually tracked cars down myself weeks later at the Rte. 40 lot where they'd been since the second day after theft. I've had a car wrongly impounded by the police following improper assignment of a parking ticket that I still had to pay towing and storage fees to have released. I've been investigated and threatened with insurance fraud by the State Insurance Commission following a rear-ending by an uninsured, unlicensed driver (who was not charged with anything) because the responding officer failed to include witness and passenger names, addresses, accounts, descriptions, or even the other vehicle's license plate or registration numbers in the accident report (fortunately, I was able to provide all of these to my lawyer, at not inconsiderable expense to me).
I've been mugged twice at gunpoint. Assaulted with a knife in broad daylight on Harford Rd. Police response time was 45-60 minutes for all of these incidents. Every time they took a report, left, and that was the last I heard. I was jumped and badly beaten by crackheads 1/2 a block from my house- an officer driving by saw me bleeding, refused to take a report, said,"What a bunch of punks!", and drove off. I was threatened with arrest by an officer who showed up at the scene 45 minutes after I did when my wife was assaulted-he was angry that I could have beat him to the scene by walking a block up from our home to check on her.
While waiting to cross the 29th St. bridge, my friend Kenny threw a cigarette butt out the window of my car. Two undercover officers jumped from the car in the next lane, ran up to mine screaming and cursing and pulled us from the car. They told Kenny he was a junkie and was high (actually, he had cancer and HIV, and looked pretty bad, RIP), handcuffed us, searched our persons and my car. Finding no contraband, they held up traffic and made us pick up trash from the bridge on-ramp under threat of arrest otherwise.
I found a stash of vials filled with a rocky white substance on the sidewalk in front of my home. Called 911 to report finding a crack stash. An hour later, an officer pulls up, looks at the vials, says,"That ain't crack," and drove off, leaving me with bag of vials in hand. I have reported open drug dealing in my neighborhood many times complete with locations and descriptions of the dealers and the police simply do not show up despite repeated calls. I've been stopped on the street and searched (once I was thrown against a wall and choked) without warning or cause more times than I can count. Never an apology, rather curses from the officers because I wasn't holding drugs or guns or warrants. Apparently white people in my now mostly black neighborhood are targeted.
I work with two city police officers, one with 24 years on the force, the other with 17 (both Central District). The 24 year vet says he's never arrested a white person for a violent crime. The 17 year man says the best thing for the city would be to drop an atom bomb on it.
My take on our boys in blue? Maybe there are some good ones, but I haven't met them, even with two dozen plus encounters. Lazy, incompetent, uncaring, hostile, threatening and aggressive are words I would use to describe them. I'm a middle-aged, working class white man. Given my experiences, I am not surprised that others in the city don't trust or co-operate with the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:37 PM

25 posts, read 53,127 times
My dealings with them, have also been central district... I was wrongfully arrested, because they thought I was a junkie... (I'm a while, young girl, 20, from PA, thin, not feeling well that day, & was in an "open-air drug market," WELL DON'T YA KNOW, I'm a heroin addict! I know the feeling...
(read my previous post, you'll see what they thought was heroin)

But I COMPLETELY agree with your statement that some are nice... others not so much. I finally got my laptop back from evidence control, 6 months AFTER the damn arrest.... 3 months after my charges were finally dropped, from the wrongful arrest & expunged! It took the officer 3 months to sign a paper, & he only did it, because I called his sgt. & lt! I like the city of Baltimore.. I think it's quite different, & find beauty even in some so called "sketchy" areas... But God help ya, if you're white, black, or frickin' purple, you'll get accused of being a drug user, or violent criminal, get thrown in jail for a night, & if you're not lucky enough to get recogged... have to get bailed out of jail, until you're charges are dropped or proven that you were wrongfullly arrested/innocent! woo.

It just amazing me.. It truely does. I'm sure this is the same case for any major US cities... but sometimes, these stories, just beat them all!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,752 times
Thumbs down Baltimore police do they have the right

they arrested my neighbors son a few blocks away on some robery charge because he looked like someone in a picture. He use to be an addict but has been totally str8 for 2 years not even drinking and attending all meetings and loving his new life. But one night the police showed up at his home when his elderly dad arrived they would not let him in they said detectives were on the way 3 hours later no detectives and they still would not let this elderly man in and this man was just getting over a stroke he had 2 weeks ago is this proper procedure.........when questioned the officer said my supperior told me not to let him in and thats what I am doing....
What is the law do decent citizens have any rights.......

Old 06-12-2012, 06:03 AM

26 posts, read 54,961 times
your not alone your one of many victims of a Baltimore city police department gone wrong
My Disturbing Story - Disturbing Facts Revealed | Disturbing Facts Revealed there is a lot you don't know about this police department that i do

Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 AM

when they make a wrong arrest who do you go to and get a apology.its no wonder people hate police officers
My Disturbing Story - Disturbing Facts Revealed | Disturbing Facts Revealed

Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 AM

Default Broken Baltimore city police department

when they make a wrong arrest who do you go to and get a apology.its no wonder people hate police officers
My Disturbing Story - Disturbing Facts Revealed | Disturbing Facts Revealed

Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 AM

im surprised your still alive and healthy.this police department has been broken for a long time.politics are the problem of the day, and not solving crimes.they don't care about you,they care about making the mayor look good.and that's the problem.this commissioner is leaving,not because he was such a good commissioner,he is involved in a big scandal and has to go.the facts will come out.just keep watching My Disturbing Story - Disturbing Facts Revealed | Disturbing Facts Revealed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: