Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:57 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,267,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Ethel Ennis's club was hot at one time!!
Looks like that one time was all too brief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
James Brown owned WEBB at one time.
And a motel on North Avenue, too, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,607,614 times
Don Shula had a place here for quite awhile. The food wasn't that great though.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:41 PM

252 posts, read 425,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Partnering with an LLC can be risky.
I would be curious to know why as well. LLC's encourage entrepreneurship and are one of the best ways to create a company due to limited personal liability.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:20 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,432,491 times
I only had a breakfast from Shula's spot. It was ok!! Nothing to run home about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Don Shula had a place here for quite awhile. The food wasn't that great though.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 AM

8,252 posts, read 13,387,916 times
I think celebs/pros like all the glam and high profile nature of high profile ventures thus they go to high profile markets.. you have some like Carmello Anthony that give back to specific causes that are near and dear to them.. But I dont think Baltimore is on many of our local.. national level celebs/pros radar as being high profile enough to warrant a huge investment in something entertainment related. Ray Lewis is selling everything he owns up here and moving to Land of Milk and Zimmermand.......Jay Z and Brooklyn are in a whole another realm than say Baltimore R & B Artist Mario or Dru Hill... Outside of the entertainment world.. you may have more investor types like Under Armour and the like that invest more heavily in the City.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,432,491 times
"But I don't think Baltimore is on many of our local.. national level celebs/pros radar as being high profile enough to warrant a huge investment in something entertainment related."

*That is very unfortunate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think celebs/pros like all the glam and high profile nature of high profile ventures thus they go to high profile markets.. you have some like Carmello Anthony that give back to specific causes that are near and dear to them.. But I dont think Baltimore is on many of our local.. national level celebs/pros radar as being high profile enough to warrant a huge investment in something entertainment related. Ray Lewis is selling everything he owns up here and moving to Land of Milk and Zimmermand.......Jay Z and Brooklyn are in a whole another realm than say Baltimore R & B Artist Mario or Dru Hill... Outside of the entertainment world.. you may have more investor types like Under Armour and the like that invest more heavily in the City.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:06 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,267,018 times
May I ask for some clarification, please?

Is the question about Baltimore-area natives who have become wealthy/famous elsewhere (like movie/TV actors) investing in the area, or is it about people from somewhere else who have become wealthy/famous here (usually pro sports players) making the investments, or is it including both of those situations?

Some Baltimore sports stars did well with their local investments (Ameche/Marchetti), some not so well (Johnny U's various businesses, Brooks Robinson Sporting Goods). I don't know if David Hasselhoff or Edward Norton have made any local investments. Professor John Astin seems to be making one of the best investments by investing his time and expertise in educating students at Hopkins.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,489,910 times
And John Waters has kept Baltimore relevant in his movies and books. I don't know what financial investments he's made here.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,902,652 times
First of all I think investing in things when you are already famous and rich is a great way to go broke, but these worked out well!

Gino Marchetti- Ginos
Andy Nelson- Andy Nelsons BBQ
Johnny Unitas- Unitas Realty
Art Donvan- Valley Country Club
Marshall Yanda- Part owner of Blue Grass
Cal Ripken- Ripken Baseball, Cal Sr. Foundation
Michael Phelps- I believe became an owner of Meadowbrook
Don Shula- Shulas
Brian Billick- Investor in WNST, major involvement in Living Classrooms
Dave Johnson- His own Baseball Clinics
Boog Powell- Boog's BBQ
Rick Dempsey- Dempsey's Brewpub

I'm sure there are tons more. Plus all the charitable contributions and charities. Ripken is going around building fields, Carmelo a Rec Center, and massive money from Mark Teixiera to MSJ.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,489,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
First of all I think investing in things when you are already famous and rich is a great way to go broke, but these worked out well!

Gino Marchetti- Ginos
Andy Nelson- Andy Nelsons BBQ
Johnny Unitas- Unitas Realty
Art Donvan- Valley Country Club
Marshall Yanda- Part owner of Blue Grass
Cal Ripken- Ripken Baseball, Cal Sr. Foundation
Michael Phelps- I believe became an owner of Meadowbrook
Don Shula- Shulas
Brian Billick- Investor in WNST, major involvement in Living Classrooms
Dave Johnson- His own Baseball Clinics
Boog Powell- Boog's BBQ
Rick Dempsey- Dempsey's Brewpub

I'm sure there are tons more. Plus all the charitable contributions and charities. Ripken is going around building fields, Carmelo a Rec Center, and massive money from Mark Teixiera to MSJ.
I think Donavan was from NY but played football here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore