Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 01:08 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
I typed a somewhat lengthy response then came back to this. It seems there's alot about the dynamics of blacks in Baltimore you're not familiar with. Many middle class blacks fled the city for Baltimore county years ago and continue to do so.

Blacks feeling unwanted or unwelcomed...
Not sure where you're getting that from but, really, where are blacks wanted?

Hardworking and talented seeking greener pastures...
I know a few who've moved to Atlanta and they're not all from the educated or hardworking type, lol. On another msg board I'm reading some talk about how easy it was to transfer their section 8 vouchers. My point is there's a whole lot of mixture migrating down there.

I agree with retaining a certain type but crime will chase people away.
I'm aware that many middle class Blacks fled Baltimore a long time ago. My theory is this. One mentions that there aren't many Black gentrifiers. That was merely a theory of mind.

I know crime will chase people away. That has been proven. I also noticed alot of complaining about the Black population. If this is going on, it leaves more to wonder about racial tensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 01:08 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
I agree. While AA wealth, home and business ownership is greater, their ghettos are worse or at least equal to Baltimore. Gangs are also growing in Atlanta.
I'd disagree; while Atlanta's hoods are pretty blighted and bad, especially by Southern standards, I don't think it touches the urban decay and crime of inner city Baltimore. However, it's quite possible that Baltimore's hoods may be in a better position to undergo gentrification than Atlanta's, mainly because the infrastructure is a little better, they have the urban bones in place, and rowhouses seem to be more appealing to gentrifiers than SFR. This is something I was discussing with someone else today in the city vs city forum with respect to Atlanta and DC. And I think it's inevitable that with all the wealth surrounding Baltimore proper and the success of the Inner Harbor and some core neighborhoods that it is only inevitable that gentrification begins spreading out a bit.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:12 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd disagree; while Atlanta's hoods are pretty blighted and bad, especially by Southern standards, I don't think it touches the urban decay and crime of inner city Baltimore. However, it's quite possible that Baltimore's hoods may be in a better position to undergo gentrification than Atlanta's, mainly because the infrastructure is a little better, they have the urban bones in place, and rowhouses seem to be more appealing to gentrifiers than SFR. This is something I was discussing with someone else today in the city vs city forum with respect to Atlanta and DC. And I think it's inevitable that with all the wealth surrounding Baltimore proper and the success of the Inner Harbor and some core neighborhoods that it is only inevitable that gentrification begins spreading out a bit.
Gentrification has been going on in Atlanta for quite some time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gent...ion_of_Atlanta

Old 12-03-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One thing to think about. This is not for me, but to getting other people to think about this. Why do some people with decent means buy homes or rent in areas that are potentially dangerous in terms of violent crime?
Because they are bargains and have convenient locations within the city.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Gentrification has been going on in Atlanta for quite some time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gent...ion_of_Atlanta
Yes it has been, but I'm referring to the worst of Atlanta's hoods: Bankhead, Vine City, the Bluff, etc. and the worst of Baltimore's. The final frontier of gentrification, if you will.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:16 PM

Here are two articles that basically answer the question:

Why So Many Millennials of Color Can’t Accumulate Wealth - NationalJournal
In Big Cities the White Millennial Population is Growing - NationalJournal

Old 12-03-2015, 01:17 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,627 times
Quote:
I'm aware that many middle class Blacks fled Baltimore a long time ago. My theory is this. One mentions that there aren't many Black gentrifiers. That was merely a theory of mind.

I know crime will chase people away. That has been proven. I also noticed alot of complaining about the Black population. If this is going on, it leaves more to wonder about racial tensions.
Yes, there's racial tension. Racial tension is everywhere. What's there to wonder? Do you think blacks are leaving Baltimore because of racial tension? Racial tension has been here forever.

Again, crime, crime, crime is a serious problem in Baltimore; especially black neighborhoods.

Last edited by redd1skng; 12-03-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 01:18 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,502 times
Quote:
potentially dangerous
Some people see this phrase differently than you. Also, living in the suburbs is just a deadly (actually deadlier), except that you probably aren't going to get killed from a bullet. It's going to be a car accident that will get you.

You are more likely to be killed/injured in a car accident living in a suburban community than you are to be killed/injured in a violent crime in an urban area. There's a fair bit of research on it (I know because I've done some of it) and it's really interesting. If someone really wants I can link them to the papers, but I think you need a subscription to Academic Search Premier or something of the sort.

Making the argument against living in an unsafe area in respect to personal property is a fine argument to make. But as far as how dangerous it is to you personally, that is not necessarily as cut and dry as you may wish.

Now if you really want to live in a ultra-safe bubble, you could always barricade yourself in a rural area and not drive anywhere. Any takers?

Old 12-03-2015, 01:22 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,627 times
Quote:
Yes it has been, but I'm referring to the worst of Atlanta's hoods: Bankhead, Vine City, the Bluff, etc. and the worst of Baltimore's. The final frontier of gentrification, if you will.
Thank you for the stats. Will read through them. Can we all agree gangs, crime, inferior schools/education, corrupt (black) politicians, job opportunities all have contributed to black neighborhood decay, black migration and gentrification?

Old 12-03-2015, 01:24 PM

912 posts, read 914,758 times
Quote:
Because they are bargains and have convenient locations within the city.
Agree. If I weren't a single mom in need of a safe place for my son, I would have done this exact thing, to be close to jobs, yet beef up my savings by not blowing all my money on real estate. This isn't exclusively a black thing, as I'm a white woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore