Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 08:09 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
I grew up in DC and PG, I don't remember school trips being canceled to DC ??
That's because they would be cancelled internally without the students knowing. Wouldn't even be a public announcement, they just wouldn't be scheduled.

A memo would come out of Sasscer to the Principals who'd share it at a staff meeting. They wouldn't be cancelled, just "suspended".

The Carroll County situation concerned trips already scheduled and announced, one was for the school band to march in a parade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's because they would be cancelled internally without the students knowing. Wouldn't even be a public announcement, they just wouldn't be scheduled.

A memo would come out of Sasscer to the Principals who'd share it at a staff meeting. They wouldn't be cancelled, just "suspended".

The Carroll County situation concerned trips already scheduled and announced, one was for the school band to march in a parade.
There was a recent canceling of a school trip to DC from an Ohio school for fear of a mass shooting and/or terrorist attack. Carroll County also canceled a school trip to DC recently because of fears of terrorism.

Growing up in both and working in both systems, I just don't remember this happening at all.

Sasscer has its own problems now concerning grades.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
There was a recent canceling of a school trip to DC from an Ohio school for fear of a mass shooting and/or terrorist attack. Carroll County also canceled a school trip to DC recently because of fears of terrorism.

Growing up in both and working in both systems, I just don't remember this happening at all.

Sasscer has its own problems now concerning grades.
That's now at Sasscer. That grade manipulation rot goes back decades when the Board offices were scattered all over Upper Marlboro and the Sasscer building was undergoing several years of remodeling to become the headquarters.

Remember that my Prince George's time as an employee goes back to 1983 or 84.

Trust me when I tell you that we were instructed at various times to not schedule trips to various venues.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:19 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Quote:
I grew up in DC and PG, I don't remember school trips being canceled to DC ??
They were safer places to visit years ago, but times have changed or maybe these decisions was made in private. Not one person was charged in the Freddy Grey riots yet there was plenty of video evidence to do so, so the kids, criminals have no reason to change their ways. The mayor and local democrat politicians will not prosecute criminals, it seems.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
They were safer places to visit years ago, but times have changed or maybe these decisions was made in private. Not one person was charged in the Freddy Grey riots yet there was plenty of video evidence to do so, so the kids, criminals have no reason to change their ways. The mayor and local democrat politicians will not prosecute criminals, it seems.
DC was less safe in the Marion Barry era than it is now.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:06 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Default Carroll County School Lifts Ban to City

Gest all of our post convinced them otherwise.....

Carroll County Restoring Field Trips To Baltimore City « CBS Baltimore

Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
That's why it's called the city that bleeds.
And in the news, if it bleeds it leads.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:47 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

Sanity prevails, good to read it. I suspect additional steps will be taken to help ensure the student's safety.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:05 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,085,714 times
Quote:
DC was less safe in the Marion Barry era than it is now.
[LEFT]
Possibly, I'm really talking about Baltimore.

Marion Barry was as corrupt as they come.
He liked to party with the ladies and use drugs.

[/LEFT]

Old 12-09-2017, 12:27 AM

777 posts, read 880,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

Applaud the decision.
I don't hear of field trips
that visit Baltimore being
attacked. CC officials made
the correct decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore