Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:32 AM

406 posts, read 485,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman98 View Post
I grew up in the Hamilton-Lauraville-Overlea area as a kid, but when I was 12 (I'm 35 now) my family relocated to Pennsylvania.

I was back in the area over this Christmas visiting relatives I hadn't seen in years. While the area is still mostly how I remembered, one thing's changed: it's nowhere as white as it used to be. I was surprised to see storefront churches, nail salons and MetroPCS dealers on Harford Road. Even on upper Belair Road by the Overlea Diner has gotten "ghetto" looking now.

There's still obviously white residents (more in Lauraville I noticed), but it's definitely much, much blacker than I recall as a kid. When exactly did the demographics of the area change and what happened to cause this many blacks to move in (it was 90% white when I was a kid in the early 90s).

Not trying to start a racial argument/discussion, just asking a legit question. Thanks!
The answer to your question is literally in your first sentence: what happened is that a lot of white people moved out of Northeast Baltimore.

Neighborhoods change. Federal Hill & Canton were once considered dumps. The cultural neighborhood of Station North was unimaginable to most 10 years ago. Hampden was a racist pocket of hicks 20 years ago - now it’s hipster central. In Baltimore County Dundalk & Essex were once highly desirable communities and today not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 01:05 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
The answer to your question is literally in your first sentence: what happened is that a lot of white people moved out of Northeast Baltimore.

Neighborhoods change. Federal Hill & Canton were once considered dumps. The cultural neighborhood of Station North was unimaginable to most 10 years ago. Hampden was a racist pocket of hicks 20 years ago - now it’s hipster central. In Baltimore County Dundalk & Essex were once highly desirable communities and today not so much.
Dundalk and Essex were always working class communities so I would never have called them highly desirable. And they remain as such.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:59 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:

yeah.. I know a lot of folks that relocated out of the City.. skipped over the County and landed in PA for cost of living reasons primarily.. though some may have indicated crime as a factor.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:06 PM

16 posts, read 28,595 times
I lived in Baltimore for a few months in 1994. Even attended Gardenville Elementary. I had friends that were white that lived south of Belair one in particular that had a pool in his yard and rabbits that he kept. I also remember Overlea bakery and getting those huge doughnuts for 75 cents. Too bad the elderly women that worked there are all likely passed away as it's been so long ago now, but I have plenty of happy memories of the area for sure. I got my first turtle at Fishermans Net pet store that was on Belair Road as well. Oh and I have always loved plants so Franks was the place for me.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:33 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:

My Father sold real estate part time in the late 70's early 80's (Very part time more of a hobby) and he said he couldn't convince people to move to places like Fells Point.
I still will never forget when a friend of my Brother's who lived in our neighborhood in Cockeysville Father lost his exec job at GM and they sold their house and moved to Fells Point in about 1990 I thought they were moving to a horrible place. Nobody that grew up in the Northern Suburbs wanted anything to do with Baltimore. And many still don't.
Many people would look down on even the white neighborhoods as being red neck.
Funny how people look down on Cockeysville now because of the south western part of it. All millennial spoiled brats. You mention Hunt Valley or above Warren RD, Ivy Hill, Ashalnd, Pot Spring, Springlake, Loch Raven and on, and on they look at you goofy. They know nothing about the area they live in, or near. They really did a **** job with the area along Greenside, and the industrial park. Way to much!
Sorry, off topic.

Last edited by Digger 68; 03-04-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-14-2018, 11:27 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Original Northwood is still the best neighborhood in NE and if they move along and re vitalize the Northwood Shopping center, that area will become gold.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Original Northwood is still the best neighborhood in NE and if they move along and re vitalize the Northwood Shopping center, that area will become gold.
I would tend to agree.. It seems quite intact without the infiltration of substandard or mult family properties that plague other gems like Lauraville and Hamilton. Beverly Hills, Arcadia, and Waltherson are nice too ....

Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I would tend to agree.. It seems quite intact without the infiltration of substandard or mult family properties that plague other gems like Lauraville and Hamilton. Beverly Hills, Arcadia, and Waltherson are nice too ....
The community of Mayfield, bounded by Clifton Park, Crossland Avenue, and Herring Run Park is every bit as nice as Original Northwood. Those two neighborhoods are probably the best in Northeast Baltimore.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:10 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The designers and contractors for Original Northwood were the Roland Park Company, and for good reason they knew how to build. As James stated, Mayfield is another great catholic neighboorhood that's on the opposite side of Lake Montebello. A revitalized Northwood Shopping Center would bring such value to the area. Property values would rise in the area. More business would come due to the proximity of Morgan State university. Montebello would be a little more desirable, as you could walk somewhere to get a snack, ECT. Bring back the movie theatre!

When I lived over in ON, the community association was fair. They had no problem with the Morgan dorms for example. It was the Hillen association that fears change. I hope they can work this all out.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
The designers and contractors for Original Northwood were the Roland Park Company, and for good reason they knew how to build. As James stated, Mayfield is another great catholic neighboorhood that's on the opposite side of Lake Montebello. A revitalized Northwood Shopping Center would bring such value to the area. Property values would rise in the area. More business would come due to the proximity of Morgan State university. Montebello would be a little more desirable, as you could walk somewhere to get a snack, ECT. Bring back the movie theatre!

When I lived over in ON, the community association was fair. They had no problem with the Morgan dorms for example. It was the Hillen association that fears change. I hope they can work this all out.

Mayfield is nice... it borders on its eastern side by Belair Edison.. which is a rather large neighborhood that has had some challenges in certain blocks.. I recall someone was murdered on their porch in Mayfield on the far end of Chesterfield near Belair Road(someone correct me if I am wrong). Some of the business along Belair Rd are problematic as with many commercial areas in this town.. but the overall area still seems to be holding on.. Classic Baltimore.. a nice area a stone throw away from more challenged areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore