Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:29 PM

279 posts, read 593,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I'm headed to Cincinnati and St. Louis next week. St. Louis is supposed to be every bit as dangerous as Baltimore, though Cincinnati is not. I'm likely to be more cautious in those cities than I would be parts of Baltimore that offer a similar crime rate. That is because I don't know those cities and I'm not likely to pick up ques to unusual or threatening behavior. That said, I intend to travel to parts of both cites that aren't super safe. Of course, if I had anxiety issues, I might not be able to do that.

I guess my point is that the OP would probably be posting the same if he were going to the concert in STL, and maybe if it were in Cincinnati. Baltimore is only part of the issue.
Well yes, the concert is in Baltimore so my concerns are about Baltimore. I do realize that crime happens in other cities too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 06:39 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I'm headed to Cincinnati and St. Louis next week. St. Louis is supposed to be every bit as dangerous as Baltimore, though Cincinnati is not. I'm likely to be more cautious in those cities than I would be parts of Baltimore that offer a similar crime rate. That is because I don't know those cities and I'm not likely to pick up ques to unusual or threatening behavior. That said, I intend to travel to parts of both cites that aren't super safe. Of course, if I had anxiety issues, I might not be able to do that.

I guess my point is that the OP would probably be posting the same if he were going to the concert in STL, and maybe if it were in Cincinnati. Baltimore is only part of the issue.
I've never been to Cincy, but I've found downtown Baltimore to be much more seedy and scary than downtown St. Louis. That's not to say that STL is a safer overall city, but in my experience, the "downtown/tourist" areas have a less dangerous feel. You don't hear as many stories of tourists being attacked or packs of teens causing trouble "downtown" or in the "touristy" areas of STL like you do in Baltimore.

Again, overall, Baltimore and STL are similar in crime, but downtown STL feels safer, so if you stick to major tourist areas, you should have no worry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aAZMuNrKTk

I think what separates Baltimore from other major cities, is that you see more rowdy teens and bad behavior in the downtown/tourist areas. The stories of tourists getting beaten up in Baltimore is why many get nervous about visiting. I've lived in Philly and now Chicago, cities that have tough neighborhoods that can put Baltimore any neighborhood in Baltimore to shame, but for the most part the downtown/touristy areas maintain a safe feel for tourists.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,741 times
I wouldn't go downtown alone. The youth are going to be out in the warmer weather as well as the older criminals and they know how to spot visitors.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:44 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
The OP should be aware that the above poster ^ is a hyperbolic fear-mongerer who basically goes through this forum trolling and posting nothing but rhetoric that isn’t based in fact. Please don’t consider him or her credible.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:13 PM

279 posts, read 593,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
I wouldn't go downtown alone. The youth are going to be out in the warmer weather as well as the older criminals and they know how to spot visitors.
Are temps in the 50s cold enough to deter them? Maybe a little rain?

Old 04-24-2019, 07:21 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,741 times
Quote:
Are temps in the 50s cold enough to deter them? Maybe a little rain?
[LEFT]
That would help deter them. Believe me, there are people that rob and mug for a living in and around Baltimore. They make their livings stealing from local stores and malls as well as visitors.

[/LEFT]

Old 04-24-2019, 08:38 PM

70 posts, read 32,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Here is the link to the NYT Article. I copied, and pasted the article in the thread. It's the third post. //www.city-data.com/forum/balti...l#post54716193

Zoidberg........ Just joined.......
Hardly just joined. I keep getting banned.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:45 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I've never been to Cincy, but I've found downtown Baltimore to be much more seedy and scary than downtown St. Louis. That's not to say that STL is a safer overall city, but in my experience, the "downtown/tourist" areas have a less dangerous feel. You don't hear as many stories of tourists being attacked or packs of teens causing trouble "downtown" or in the "touristy" areas of STL like you do in Baltimore.

Again, overall, Baltimore and STL are similar in crime, but downtown STL feels safer, so if you stick to major tourist areas, you should have no worry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aAZMuNrKTk

I think what separates Baltimore from other major cities, is that you see more rowdy teens and bad behavior in the downtown/tourist areas. The stories of tourists getting beaten up in Baltimore is why many get nervous about visiting. I've lived in Philly and now Chicago, cities that have tough neighborhoods that can put Baltimore any neighborhood in Baltimore to shame, but for the most part the downtown/touristy areas maintain a safe feel for tourists.
The stories, you don't here this, you don't here that...blah, blah, blah. Anybody who lives, or goes down there alot knows this is waaaaaay over the top.
Some people just believe what they want to.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:48 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The OP should be aware that the above poster ^ is a hyperbolic fear-mongerer who basically goes through this forum trolling and posting nothing but rhetoric that isn’t based in fact. Please don’t consider him or her credible.
Half the people posting in this thread don't know what they are talking about. That first post by Feck nailed what's really going on.

And the more I think about Fecks first post I have had a very bad feeling about what he says in that post for decades.
People thrive on this negativity. Just listen to who you were pointing out. All he does is sit on here all day and post negative nonsense.
It's a big problem. I want the story, and the whole story. Not just positive, or negative. The facts!

This site is stale.....

Last edited by Digger 68; 04-24-2019 at 09:57 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 07:22 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Media has more influence on shaping your perception of reality than you might
want to believe. You should not dismiss the media's power so lightly.
BTW, how does heaven look? Checked out the neighborhoods there? You do plan
to go there one day, right?
I’m not superstitious ... I’m an atheist. So, I don’t believe in your dream neighborhood. I’ll continue to exercise elevated situational awareness in any area that claims top rankings in per capita homicides and robberies. Others can call it stupid if it makes them feel better. I think it’s stupid to do otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: